PDA

View Full Version : GFO Pellets in reactor?

falconut
08/29/2010, 05:56 PM
I've been using standard GFO in my reactor for the last few years. But I really have to keep the flow down or the fines exit the reactor.

Will the pellets allow me to increase the flows without having all the fines? I know you can't use too much flow because GFO is soft and will grind, but would the pellets work better?

Also, do the pellets work as effective as the granuals?

bertoni
08/29/2010, 06:25 PM
We don't have much data on the effectiveness of the various GFO products. I wouldn't assume that the pellets are any better, although they will stand up to more flow. Do you rinse the granules carefully?

falconut
08/29/2010, 06:29 PM
I'm referring to the BRS pellets versus their granuals. I do rinse the GFO, but it takes a lot of RO. It just seems that the partical sizes are so variable with the granuals and there are some really same ones in there. Would the pellets have around the same capacity?

falconut
08/29/2010, 06:38 PM
Just reading the description and it says the granuals are the same materials as the pellets just slightly smaller size and the granuals require the least amount of flow.

I take it to mean that the pellets should work as good as the granuals with the ability to run a higher flow.

bertoni
08/29/2010, 07:00 PM
The BRS pellets might be easier to handle than the granules. I haven't used those particular products. The pellets might be worth trying.

08/29/2010, 09:46 PM
I've been using standard GFO in my reactor for the last few years. But I really have to keep the flow down or the fines exit the reactor.

What's wrong with low flow?

maynardjames
08/29/2010, 10:58 PM
when you do a water change refill your gfo in reactor & run into a 5 gallon bucket. when it starts running clear it`s rinsed enough. then just use the amount it took to rinse as part of amount you would remove during water change. you would have to remove water anyway for change & wont have to waste your ro water

sjm817
08/30/2010, 05:56 AM
The "pellets" are not as big as you may think. They are just a little bigger granule.

falconut
08/30/2010, 07:43 AM
I went ahead and ordered the pellets, so I'll see if I like them better. If they are even a little bigger, it will be a plus. As far as the flow, I'd like to increase the flow so it tumbles a little more. I have to run the flow so slowly through my reactor with the granuals, or the fines start to rinse up and out, that most of the GFO doesn't move and I'm not sure if it's even getting used. This stuff is fairly expensive, so I'd hate to be wasting it.

stanlalee
08/30/2010, 08:15 AM
if your worried about fines use HC. Harder than both and much less dust. I dont rinse I do as suggested above during water changes but the HC clears MUCH faster than regular and rooster tailing it (accidental of course) doesn't cause fines once run clear.

falconut
08/30/2010, 09:53 AM
maynardjames - very good idea. I'll have to see if I can set something up to do this using the water I remove instead of using clean RO water.

bertoni
08/30/2010, 05:13 PM
You can use tapwater, too. That's what I did. They won't adsorb much from such a quick rinse.

Furo
08/30/2010, 11:18 PM
How many teaspoons or cup do you use in the reactor? Like example my tank is 260g how many GFO do I need to put in the reactor.

falconut
08/31/2010, 08:04 AM
Furo - I'm not sure if there is a specific amount. I think it depends on how often it's changed and how high your P04 is. I originally ran my TLF reactor with about 5" of GFO, but didn't change it for a few months. Now I've gone down to 2" of GFO, but I'm changing it weekly.

I can't test the levels coming out, because my current kit is an API test kit and it just stinks. Since day 1 the color doesn't match any of the colors on the saltwater color chart. It does match 0 on the freshwater chart, so not sure if it's mixed up or not, but this kit doesn't measure very low.

bertoni
08/31/2010, 02:37 PM
Many of the manufacturer's will give recommendations. I'd start with a small amount, maybe a half a cup or so, in that size tank, and see how it goes. Rapid changes can cause problems for animals.

JTL
09/01/2010, 09:48 AM
I have had good results with the BRS pellets. They tumble but don't rise to the top. I use about a 1/2 cup for 110g.