PDA

View Full Version : Feature Suggestions

seaner
08/30/2010, 07:43 AM
Hello,

Here is my dream list of software features I would like to see for the Neptune Apex :

- Ability to monitor the amperage of each outlet. If a device fails to draw power (device failure), then an email alarm can be triggered, or a secondary system can be set to kick in.
- Customizable email alerts.
- Power consumption cost calculator. I want to see how much money this expensive hobby is costing me :)

kurt_n
08/30/2010, 08:57 AM
- Customizable date ranges on graphing page (other than 1 day/7 day)
- Something other than that gawdawful color used for the ORP chart! (My eyes BURN when looking at that page!)
- A little "beefier" cable for the display unit. I know the existing one is really really easy to hide and is probably stronger than I realize, but it just appears really delicate. I was sooooo careful with the thing before I got all my cables routed/tucked away.

thebradybunch
08/30/2010, 01:42 PM
I agree on the cord from the display to the control base. I would still like to see a time statement where you could program an outlet to be on for a set period of time once a day. There ways to do it now but it could be much simplier with something like:

If time 05:00:00 then on
Run 00:01:00 then OFF.

I would also like to see a max run time. Where once a outlet turns on it could only run for a certain amount of time and then it shuts off. This would be very helpful with an ATO as a saftey measure.

seaner
08/31/2010, 07:12 AM
Also, I wouldn't mind having the ability to rename the feed modes names to something more meaningful.

CJO
08/31/2010, 07:40 AM
More programming options- IF THEN ELSE, NOT, OR , NOR, XOR, AND, flags, etc.

CJ

swearint
08/31/2010, 07:46 AM
I would also like to see a max run time. Where once a outlet turns on it could only run for a certain amount of time and then it shuts off. This would be very helpful with an ATO as a saftey measure.
You can do this now with a virtual outlet and Defer. I use the following:

[Max_ATO]
Set OFF
If Switchx CLOSED Then ON
Defer 060:00 Then ON

Where Switchx controls the ATO, then add this to the ATO code:

If Outlet Max_ATO = ON Then OFF

Once it trips to ON, it must be set to Manual OFF and then back to AUTO to reset.

This saved me last week when I had a leaking fitting on my ATO, well at least it limited the size of the mess.:)

Todd

wwanthony
08/31/2010, 08:58 AM

CJ

Pretty please.....

seaner
08/31/2010, 09:07 AM

CJ

Yeah.... A simple and advanced mode would be neat, in which the advanced mode has those programming options.

joshbryer
08/31/2010, 11:14 AM

CJ

Agreed wholeheartedly.... also add to that a rand() function.

jeffreylesser
08/31/2010, 11:55 AM
Not exactly a feature, but I was thinking a TDS meter would be cool. You could get an e-mail when your ATO goes to 1PPM.

seaner
08/31/2010, 12:18 PM
It would be convenient if i was able to set conditions by Month, Year, or certain day of month.

pencil3
08/31/2010, 12:40 PM
You can sorta already do this. I use TDS controllers that have a relay on them and set the TDS controller to trigger the relay when it reads 1 ppm. I get an email alarm then along with the RO system shutting down.

Not exactly a feature, but I was thinking a TDS meter would be cool. You could get an e-mail when your ATO goes to 1PPM.

thebradybunch
08/31/2010, 06:24 PM
These are some good ideas

schwaggs
08/31/2010, 08:25 PM
You can sorta already do this. I use TDS controllers that have a relay on them and set the TDS controller to trigger the relay when it reads 1 ppm. I get an email alarm then along with the RO system shutting down.

Or you could use a PM2 to measure RODI water purity. I *think* it will measure low enough but I have not heard of anyone trying it yet...

kenargo
08/31/2010, 11:30 PM
Or you could use a PM2 to measure RODI water purity. I *think* it will measure low enough but I have not heard of anyone trying it yet...

yes, it will; you need different calibration fluid but it will work just fine. Use 447 S/cm fluid and the "Low" range.

jeffreylesser
09/01/2010, 02:06 PM
OK, I'm biting. What would you expect to see on a PM2 for TDS of 0 or TDS of 1? I realize this technology would be cool/laziness, but by the time I find out I'm over 0 I am usually at 15 or so.

A Reef Scene
09/01/2010, 02:27 PM
The ability to and control more then one aquarium.

swearint
09/01/2010, 02:41 PM
The ability to and control more then one aquarium.
You can do that now, there are several people on this forum that do it. You just need additional probes/PMx and EB8s.

Todd

A Reef Scene
09/01/2010, 04:37 PM
Can this be done with a tank at my office and at home?

swearint
09/01/2010, 05:14 PM
Can this be done with a tank at my office and at home?
Sorry, no. Well, not unless you work within 200' of your home. :)

Todd

schwaggs
09/01/2010, 06:33 PM
OK, I'm biting. What would you expect to see on a PM2 for TDS of 0 or TDS of 1? I realize this technology would be cool/laziness, but by the time I find out I'm over 0 I am usually at 15 or so.

PM2 reads the conductivity of the water, not TDS however, there is a relationship between the 2 measurements. Divide the Conductivity reading on MS/cm2 by 2 and you get TDS. For example, if you setup your PM2 to the low range, divide the reading by 2 and you have TDS.

seaner
09/01/2010, 09:15 PM
What are the chances that some of the features we recommend being added to a future firmware release?

When is the next firmware release going to be?

jeffreylesser
09/01/2010, 09:49 PM
PM2 reads the conductivity of the water, not TDS however, there is a relationship between the 2 measurements. Divide the Conductivity reading on MS/cm2 by 2 and you get TDS. For example, if you setup your PM2 to the low range, divide the reading by 2 and you have TDS.

Very interesting. Thanks. Seems like a good feature then would be a potential TDS scale for the conductivity probe. But even as is, it is doable although pretty expensive compared to a handheld meter, but less expensive than replacing corals. I suppose temperature compensation could be bypassed in this case. Sorry for the minor hijack.

wwanthony
09/01/2010, 11:03 PM
How about getting the web interface functions on par with what is available via the display......

notclear
09/02/2010, 04:10 AM
Wireless to the display.

seaner
09/02/2010, 07:17 AM
A par/lux/lumens meter censor would be awesome. It could be tied into the module for the dimming of lights.

RussM
09/02/2010, 08:38 AM
XML data anonymously accessible
A web page that creates a diagnostic dump file in text format that can be saved to the computer accessing the controller, and subsequently emailed to Neptune or posted here as a file attachment (or applicable excerpts posted here in a message). It would contain all settings, program & profile info, AquaBus & module info, network info, etc, as well as any other memory/register data Curt can use.
Admin username & password settings via web interface, and a wizard that forces (or at least encourages) changing of the default password the first time the controller is accessed.

kurt_n
09/02/2010, 08:43 AM
XML data anonymously accessible

Oh man... that would be sweet.

Admin username & password settings via web interface, and a wizard that forces (or at least encourages) changing of the default password the first time the controller is accessed.

Agree about the wizard, but if you can control password settings through the web interface, and someone *did* manage to hack you, they could lock you out of your own system, right?

dorian
09/04/2010, 06:09 PM
Ability to add comments to the Advanced Setup .. It would be nice to do this

//Sunset lamp
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
// On 5 hours after sunrise
If Sun 300/000 Then ON
If Temp > 82.0 Then OFF
Min Time 120:00 Then OFF

dorian
09/04/2010, 06:17 PM
How about the ability to define additional text in the email alarm i.e.
Subject
seaner
09/07/2010, 10:26 AM
Ability to add comments to the Advanced Setup .. It would be nice to do this

//Sunset lamp
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
// On 5 hours after sunrise
If Sun 300/000 Then ON
If Temp > 82.0 Then OFF
Min Time 120:00 Then OFF

Comments would be awesome... It sucks looking back at code scratching your head. Comments blocks /* ... */ would be a neat feature to.

seaner
09/07/2010, 04:37 PM
How about the ability to define additional text in the email alarm i.e.
Subject
Yeah, and the ability to send email to different mailboxes (phone/work/home) depending on what alarm was triggered. If there was an emergency with my setup, then a text message to my phone would be great.

sw1tched
09/07/2010, 05:13 PM
how about a way to use counters?
for instance to see how many times a heater is kicking on or how many times a day my ato kicks off and how long they stay on before they shut off.
you can have it send an email every time, but I would like to be able to see more stats on each outlet.

CJO
09/08/2010, 07:00 AM
... If there was an emergency with my setup, then a text message to my phone would be great.

You can already send a text to your phone, though it would happen every time it sets off the email alarm. Instructions can be found here:
http://reeftech.webs.com/

CJ

swearint
09/08/2010, 07:27 AM
how about a way to use counters?
for instance to see how many times a heater is kicking on or how many times a day my ato kicks off and how long they stay on before they shut off.
you can have it send an email every time, but I would like to be able to see more stats on each outlet.
You can see when things are turning ON/OFF by using the XML Outlet Report. It is not graphical; it logs the time whenever an outlet changes state. Kenargo and RussM have built online tools to help visualize the changes, check their home page links.

Todd

seaner
09/08/2010, 10:31 AM
You can already send a text to your phone, though it would happen every time it sets off the email alarm. Instructions can be found here:
http://reeftech.webs.com/

CJ

But depending on the alarm activated. So..... if a water leak is detected, then I would want an alarm sent to my phone/work/home. If my topoff bin is low, then an email alert to my home/work email would suffice.

liquidfunk
09/08/2010, 04:40 PM
how about allowing the deletion of all those base var outlets I have no use for and just get in the way?

Webcam compatible would be sweet too,, accessable via the built in web server so I didnt have to have anything running on my computer, or pay for an expensive camera with it built in. Now,, to find a 12v webcam :)

seaner
09/09/2010, 01:34 PM
Best idea yet :).......

A graphical representation of my aquarium equipment with the ability to draw relationships between the different pieces of the aquarium setup. That wouldn't be hard to do with a Java applet. It would be neat if the icons gave real time status. Maybe they could blink or turn to a different colours depending on its condition. This could supplement the 4 pages designated to aquarium equipment status. Keep in mind that the Apex display does show icons, but it's not very intuitive.

That would be the "Ultimate Display" for me:)

jeffreylesser
09/10/2010, 09:51 AM
Im with you. I'll be a little less dreamy. How about more icons? The 4 pages get a little cryptic. I have 3 EB8's so I can tell you there are a lot of spigets on my pages. Maybe icons for closed loop, power heads, ATO(spiget would work here), solenoids? Heater vs. Chiller? Media Reactor(calcium or otherwise)? Maybe it is too hard to make these with the resolution of the screen, IDK.

I usually just use my phone even when I'm standing right next to my tank.

seaner
09/10/2010, 10:42 AM
It would be a great feature if the OS for the Apex Neptune was released as open source. So as users, we can recommend bug fixes, and suggest and write code that can be used to create product enhancements. It would be beneficial to the whole user community :)

kurt_n
09/10/2010, 12:17 PM
It would be a great feature if the OS for the Apex Neptune was released as open source. So as users, we can recommend bug fixes, and suggest and write code that can be used to create product enhancements. It would be beneficial to the whole user community :)

But from Neptune's viewpoint, can you imagine having to support/troubleshoot a system that has had user enhancements done? As a manufacturer you're kind of losing control over your own product and jeopardizing the apparent quality of your product to those outside the existing user community.

liver
09/10/2010, 12:22 PM
How about a maintenance reminder function tied to a calendar?
ie. change bulbs every 6 months, Water change once a week, feed anemone, etc.. Competitors have this function and is very useful especially if you have someone watch your tank when you are out of town.

jeffreylesser
09/10/2010, 11:12 PM
The reminder is a great idea. Seems pretty reasonable and not to difficult. I could even have it remind me to take out the trash on Thursday night so my wife doesn't have to.

dorian
09/11/2010, 08:49 AM
+ 1 on the Open source or an Application Programming Interface (API)

seaner
09/11/2010, 10:26 AM
But from Neptune's viewpoint, can you imagine having to support/troubleshoot a system that has had user enhancements done? As a manufacturer you're kind of losing control over your own product and jeopardizing the apparent quality of your product to those outside the existing user community.

I agree with you. And if a user loads a non supported OS, then it should invalidate the warranty, or Neptune can request that a supported and updated OS is installed for an end user to recieve support from them.

A better idea would be for Neptune to release the code to the public through a SVN/CVS. In turn, the user community can supply the coded enhancements. Neptune would still have control over the OS, and the features it supported. It would be the user community (people buying the product and using it) that would benefit greatly.

Honestly, I think we could all benefit from our recommendations on this thread.

seaner
09/11/2010, 10:29 AM
How about a maintenance reminder function tied to a calendar?
ie. change bulbs every 6 months, Water change once a week, feed anemone, etc.. Competitors have this function and is very useful especially if you have someone watch your tank when you are out of town.

I was thinking the same thing. It would be a great feature to have a built in calendar in which it had the ability to set the reminders as one offs, or reoccurring (with duration).

seaner
09/13/2010, 01:17 PM
Support for ssl which would allow ssh and https:// connections.

seaner
09/16/2010, 09:01 AM
I'm posing this question to the the Neptune support staff. Is it possible to setup a SVN/CSV for myself and other members to check out source code and submit modifications?

dorian
09/16/2010, 11:05 AM
+1

Sr Developer with plenty of time -- would love a crack at it..

Gordonious
09/22/2010, 12:33 PM
Crap I'm guessing you can't make comments now then? That's a bit negative. Would really like to be able to do that.

Yeah, and the ability to send email to different mailboxes (phone/work/home) depending on what alarm was triggered. If there was an emergency with my setup, then a text message to my phone would be great.

Second that! If there is water on the floor I want the thing to raise all h$$$, blow up my phone, text my girl friend, text my great aunt in the retirement home, and everything else. If the temperature is just a little warmer then normal an e-mail to my hotmail account would be enough.

More icons would be nice as well.

Gordonious
09/22/2010, 12:35 PM
Crap I'm guessing you can't make comments now then?(Never mind, answered in another thread) That's a bit negative. Would really like to be able to do that.

Second that! If there is water on the floor I want the thing to raise all h$$$, blow up my phone, text my girl friend, text my great aunt in the retirement home, and everything else. If the temperature is just a little warmer then normal an e-mail to my hotmail account would be enough.

More icons would be nice as well.

Gordonious
09/22/2010, 07:16 PM
So is this just us talking amongst ourselves dreaming or is someone sharing this with Neptune?

I would really like to see graphs of the outlets. For instance if you accidentally have your power heads programmed to be off at night time after looking through the graphs you could see on and off all day and then off all night.... Make sense? Worded well? Just have a value of 1 if on and 0 if off.

It would be even better if it had wattages, but not required to be beneficial.

kenargo
09/22/2010, 07:28 PM
This is a user forum so the chatter is amongst ourselves but Neptune stops in now and then to check on things and has read this thread.

I can report that graphing outlet states is in the next firmware. I don't know what it will look like in the end but it might be similar to what I allow you to see using the Apex utilities on my website.

Gordonious
09/22/2010, 07:35 PM
Cool. Any word on when we might see a new firmware update?

headed to check out your site now.

kenargo
09/22/2010, 07:48 PM
Cool. Any word on when we might see a new firmware update?

headed to check out your site now.

Nothing official; it was shown at MACNA so I'd guess within a few weeks if the past can be used to guess the future.

Gordonious
09/22/2010, 08:32 PM
Sorry if I'm missing something anyone take a YouTube vid of this or write an article? What other features did they talk about coming now. Were you a MACNA? I missed out this year. :-(

kenargo
09/22/2010, 09:35 PM
There is a thread with some imaged but the short of it...

* EB4 HD - as it sounds, a 4 port heavy duty relay controlled energy bar
* AquaIlluminations controller (VDM)
* New Firmware:
* New graphing (graphs outlets and probes)
* Ability to name probes (up to 8 characters)
* You can enable/disable probes from the website

Gordonious
09/22/2010, 10:51 PM
Sounds nice. I saw something about the EB4 HD, didn't seem all that impressive until I started figuring out what all I needed to control via the last two outlets on the EB8.

As far as another suggestion for Neptune. The high tech little RO filters only use a couple of reminders and probes to tell you when things need to be changed. Who has a Neptune controller and doesn't have an RO unit? Being about to hook up flow meters to tell how much water has gone in/come out of an RO and being able to keep track of the TDS would be a huge +.
http://www.tdsmeter.com/products/fms2.html

seaner
09/23/2010, 09:50 AM
Being about to hook up flow meters to tell how much water has gone in/come out of an RO and being able to keep track of the TDS would be a huge +.

+1 on the flow meter. If a module was created that incorporated a flow and TDS meter, then a breakout box or a breakout box plug-in should be incorporated into the design. This module could streamline water changes (multiple flow meters), top-offs, and ro/di equipment replacement. It would be an added benefit if the module could include a sensor for detecting leaks on the floor. Maybe the water sensors could be daisy chained......

Gordonious
09/23/2010, 10:45 AM
Would take some creative programming to make the IO break out box communicate with a meter to give any single besides on or off. It would likely be done in another way. Perhaps plugged into the control port or a new module. I also doubt one would use it for water changes as most flow meters are either inaccurate or go through air line sized tubing.(would take forever to do a water change through this sized tubing and it would likely jam up)

MechEng99
09/30/2010, 09:39 PM
Wireless to the display.

I'll second that idea! :thumbsup:

I'd love to be able to just have a couple of AA bateries in the display and mount it anywhere around my tank!!

CalmSeasQuest
09/30/2010, 09:53 PM
How about a wireless Aquabus solution? My next tank will be on the opposite side of the home with little option to run a cable. The only other current option is to purchase an additional Apex and peripherals...not an attractive choice.

Gordonious
10/01/2010, 08:09 AM
My RODI and salt mixing vats are in another room. I'd like to be able to set up floats on the vat and a solenoid. There is also instructions in the newby guide to set up a push button to make a pump mix salt for an hour then shut off. Can't do these things with a Neptune systsms or set up water bugs there because it is too far from my controller and I don't want to buy a second unit.

kenargo
10/01/2010, 08:37 AM
My RODI and salt mixing vats are in another room. I'd like to be able to set up floats on the vat and a solenoid. There is also instructions in the newby guide to set up a push button to make a pump mix salt for an hour then shut off. Can't do these things with a Neptune systsms or set up water bugs there because it is too far from my controller and I don't want to buy a second unit.

You can do this with an Apex.

liquidfunk
10/01/2010, 05:28 PM
I'll second that idea! :thumbsup:

I'd love to be able to just have a couple of AA bateries in the display and mount it anywhere around my tank!!

They have these already, its called an iPhone/blackberry/android :)

liquidfunk
10/01/2010, 05:33 PM
Lamp timers would be nice. My thermostat tells me when to replace my airfilter, it would nice if my apex sent me an email telling me I hit 2000 hours of halide life or something. OR X number of days since lamps were replaced.

I have a sticker I put up, but I have to look at it to remember. I dont even open my canopy doors more than 1-2 times per week.

Gordonious
10/01/2010, 07:17 PM
E-mail: "Your Apex has noticed an increase in the amps being used on your outlet labled, 'light3_1'. Is this a new fixture and would you like to add a note to replace your bulbs in 12 months? Please visit this link to learn about bulbs and when they should be replaced: neptunesys.com/lamps/"

Nothing wrong with directing traffic to your website for information and reminding people about there wonderfull little controllers monitoring the tank. Smart technology.

CJO
10/04/2010, 08:16 AM
The ability to control sunrise and sunset separately rather than the all-in-one SUN command. Right now I don't think that there is a way of creating a realistic sunrise and sunset with dimmable lights while still using the SUN command to vary the times.

What I would like is the ability to increase the blue LEDs from 30 minutes before sunrise until sunrise, then bring up the white LEDs over the next two hours and reverse the cycle at sunset, and still have the ability to vary the sunrise and sunset times with the seasons. I can do one or the other, but not both.

CJ

kenargo
10/04/2010, 10:51 AM
The ability to control sunrise and sunset separately rather than the all-in-one SUN command. Right now I don't think that there is a way of creating a realistic sunrise and sunset with dimmable lights while still using the SUN command to vary the times.

What I would like is the ability to increase the blue LEDs from 30 minutes before sunrise until sunrise, then bring up the white LEDs over the next two hours and reverse the cycle at sunset, and still have the ability to vary the sunrise and sunset times with the seasons. I can do one or the other, but not both.

CJ

Many of these scenarios are supported using virtual outlets today (e.g., have the virtual outlet contain the SUN command and use an "If Outlet" command to control the light).

seaner
10/04/2010, 02:28 PM
I'm Canadian eh.... so I wouldn't mind seeing the temperature readings in Celsius instead of Fahrenheit..... yeah eh :)

kenargo
10/05/2010, 12:06 AM
I'm Canadian eh.... so I wouldn't mind seeing the temperature readings in Celsius instead of Fahrenheit..... yeah eh :)

Have you tried:

Setup->Temp Setup->Scale->Celsius

CJO
10/06/2010, 01:48 PM
Many of these scenarios are supported using virtual outlets today (e.g., have the virtual outlet contain the SUN command and use an "If Outlet" command to control the light).

I guess I'm a bit dense, because I can't figure out how this helps. Right now I have the following program for the variable outlet that controls the LEDs

Blue
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Time 09:15 to 09:30 Then B_Sunris
If Time 09:30 to 21:00 Then ON
If Time 21:00 to 21:30 Then B_Sunset

White
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Time 09:30 to 11:30 Then W_Sunris
If Time 11:30 to 20:00 Then ON
If Time 20:00 to 21:00 Then W_Sunset

What I want to do is to use the SUN command for both of these to trigger the sunrise and sunset profiles. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
CJ

seaner
10/06/2010, 05:03 PM
Have you tried:

Setup->Temp Setup->Scale->Celsius

Thank you :)

That worked.

kenargo
10/06/2010, 10:31 PM
Thank you :)

That worked.

:thumbsup:

CJO
10/07/2010, 10:02 AM
I guess I'm a bit dense, because I can't figure out how this helps. Right now I have the following program for the variable outlet that controls the LEDs

Blue
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Time 09:15 to 09:30 Then B_Sunris
If Time 09:30 to 21:00 Then ON
If Time 21:00 to 21:30 Then B_Sunset

White
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Time 09:30 to 11:30 Then W_Sunris
If Time 11:30 to 20:00 Then ON
If Time 20:00 to 21:00 Then W_Sunset

What I want to do is to use the SUN command for both of these to trigger the sunrise and sunset profiles. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
CJ

I think I got it. I created four new outlets for the White LED sunrise and sunet times and for the Blue LED sunrise and sunset times. For example, to determine the white sunrise time I created this outlet:

SunriseW
Set OFF
If SUN 210/90 Then ON
If Time 12:00 to 25:59 Then OFF

for the sunset

SunsetW
Set OFF
If SUN 210/90 Then ON
If Time 0:00 to 11:59 Then OFF

Then I referenced these outlets for the variable output outlets. Does this sound right?

Thanks,
CJ

kenargo
10/07/2010, 12:22 PM
Yes, that is how you would do it and if you get a VDM (once they are available) you can use the same logic but assign profiles to get a real sun rise and sun set (using ramp).

Sounds like a reason to get a VDM :)

CJO
10/07/2010, 12:50 PM
Yes, that is how you would do it and if you get a VDM (once they are available) you can use the same logic but assign profiles to get a real sun rise and sun set (using ramp).

Sounds like a reason to get a VDM :)

I'm doing that now! The meanwell drivers take a 0-10V signal, which is what the variable outputs output. I have 30 minutes for the sunrise and sunset ramp on the blue LEDs and a 2 hour ramp on the white LEDs.

CJ

Gordonious
10/12/2010, 10:16 PM
How about a Relative Humidity sensor/probe? Would like to keep an eye on how humid my 12 fish tanks make my basement. Also wouldn't mind keeping track of the humidity in my herps habitats.(bearded dragon, leopard gecko)

swearint
10/13/2010, 07:25 AM
It is not a perfect solution, but you could use two Humidistats. They are switches that close/open at a set humidity. You could set up a high and low point and use the I/O port of the Apex to detect them.

Todd

karlinkelly
10/22/2010, 07:17 AM
With all the websites out there some of us are using to connect to/monitor our controllers, something really should be done about security to avoid the risk of someone tampering with our controller programming and potentially causing very costly damages.

Can we get SSL on the web interface? If this isn't added, the possibilty of someone grabbing our credentials to get into a controller is very high. At least setup a mechanism thats more secure than basic authentication - clear text over the wire. In fact, I would suggest that people not be too quick to share their apex username/password with any other site until this is done - it is a risk!

Can we get a notification email whenever programming changes occur?

ToLearn
10/22/2010, 09:41 AM
Perhaps there could be multiple log ins to the Apex and have the option to make one of them read only, so someone can get any data from the Apex and look through the programs even to see how things are set up, but they would be unable to make any changes.(including manual control, programming, and settings)

I think this would be a very good idea, though I am sure it isn't something that hasn't been considered before. Really hope to see this come with an updated firmware in the near future.

Total props though to Neptune for all the new stuff already coming out. I can't imagine that Neptune is a very large company, but they seem to be working actively on a lot of new stuff and are leaps and bounds above the competition already.

RussM
10/22/2010, 10:59 AM
With all the websites out there some of us are using to connect to/monitor our controllers, something really should be done about security to avoid the risk of someone tampering with our controller programming and potentially causing very costly damages.

Can we get SSL on the web interface? If this isn't added, the possibilty of someone grabbing our credentials to get into a controller is very high. At least setup a mechanism thats more secure than basic authentication - clear text over the wire. In fact, I would suggest that people not be too quick to share their apex username/password with any other site until this is done - it is a risk!

As the operator of one of those third-party web sites - and a security-minded IT professional - I agree with you... to an extent.

Having helped dozens and dozens or controller owners get their controllers and routers configured for access from the Internet, I know that way too many folks don't want to bother changing the username and password. Consequently, I have a strict policy stated in my FAQ:

In the interest of security and safety of your aquarium, Reeftronics will not accept membership requests for controllers which have the default user name and password.

I have taken very specific precautions to prevent the compromise of the controller credentials stored on my web site. I know that Kenargo has done the same with his web site. I also encourage use of strong passwords. Frankly, I wish I didn't need Reeftronics members to provide credentials at all... but due to the architecture of the web server embedded in the AC3 and Apex, it is not possible to have some portions anonymously accessible (i.e. the XML data used by Reeftronics) and the rest protected.

I would like to see the Apex & AC3 require a change of username and password at first login. And I'd also like to see the ability to change the username & password via the web interface... it's rather cumbersome to do via the display.

Regarding SSL.... from one perspective, I agree with you. But one must understand that SSL can create a significant demand for precious CPU cycles in an embedded device. Also, self-signed certificates would be a real PITA for the many "less-than-technically-inclined" owners ;) And the alternative to a SS cert - a public CA - has its own share of gotchas.

Can we get a notification email whenever programming changes occur? I like this idea!

dorian
10/22/2010, 02:06 PM
I have to agree, without SSL I cannot expose my APEX – way too many risks. However, I am considering the following solution a cheap Cisco VPN router and a soft client. Currently, I leave the IP blocked via my router. I will RDP back to my home network and open the port if needed. Sadly This requires my PC @ home to be on all the time

cm11599ps
04/02/2011, 02:18 PM
I'd love more icons choices.

cm11599ps
04/03/2011, 08:44 AM
I don't think I've run across it in all my research so I'll post it here. Is there a possibility of adding a way to cycle your different status pages automatically? I already have a few pages set up the way I want but I have to physically scroll through the pages to keep on eye on the different readings.:beer:

ToLearn
04/03/2011, 10:23 AM
Is there a possibility of adding a way to cycle your different status pages automatically? I already have a few pages set up the way I want but I have to physically scroll through the pages to keep on eye on the different readings.:beer:

I like it to stay still the way it is now. If they build that in I hope it is an option and not the way it always is.

cm11599ps
04/03/2011, 10:59 AM
Of course an option. For some people its pointless. If you're monitoring multiple tanks or probes it would be beneficial.