PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Choosing the right Light Set up

Team Freddy
08/30/2010, 03:03 PM
I have a 55 Gallon Tank that is in the cycling process. ATM i have some cheapo Flourescent bulb that came with the tank. I am looking for something a little better than what is currently in it.

I have gone back and forth on PC and T5. My tank is going to start life as a FOWLR but hopefully progress to throwing some coral in over time.

Should I be looking at something like:

2 X 54 Watts 1-10K / 1-Actinic

or

4 X 54 Watts 2 -10K / 2-Actinic

I am thinking the 2X54 may not be sufficient lighting later on or is it? Also PC or T5? What would you go with and why.

Thanks

B-Willz
08/30/2010, 03:17 PM
In the long you will be happier with a 4 bulb T5, as you will be able to keep more corals than with the PC.

goslugsgo
08/30/2010, 04:03 PM
I agree with B-Willz. If you're thinking that you'd like a few corals in the future, go T5. You can start with a few then add as your livestock gets more demanding.

theatrus
08/30/2010, 04:33 PM
T5, with individual reflectors. Way more bulb choices, and the most efficient system you can buy in the fluorescent department.

If you can spring for a 4 bulb, you'd have no problems keeping most anything. I'd do a combo of 10-14k, ATI Blue Plus, (optional) Actinic (or another blue plus). If you have things which are red, the GE 3k bulb is amazing :)

Team Freddy
08/30/2010, 11:22 PM
T5, with individual reflectors. Way more bulb choices, and the most efficient system you can buy in the fluorescent department.

If you can spring for a 4 bulb, you'd have no problems keeping most anything. I'd do a combo of 10-14k, ATI Blue Plus, (optional) Actinic (or another blue plus). If you have things which are red, the GE 3k bulb is amazing :)

I ordered a 4 bulb set up + Moon Light LEDs. Well see how it performs when it gets here.