PDA

View Full Version : My new sump monster!

Sitarangi
08/30/2010, 10:08 PM
Picked this guy up in LA from a wholesaler. I have partitioned off my fuge (pic below) so I can observe him and get him too eat. Hes about 3" and drop dead gorgeous. He will go into my 29g once I ween him onto frozen foods. Any tips are appreciated.

http://i36.*******.com/sooetv.jpg

http://i35.*******.com/4lh6z5.jpg

Sitarangi
08/31/2010, 12:07 AM
The fu manchu has acclimated well and is very active. I tossed a ghost shrimp in and he ate it within seconds, I plan on trying garlic soaked krill tomorrow.

http://i36.*******.com/2cbp60.jpg

psykokid
08/31/2010, 12:21 AM
did you pick him up from pacific aqua farms? the reason i ask is because i was there yesterday with a friend and saw a nice fu in the acclimation bin. He was a little bigger than what i was looking for though, i was looking for a juvie..

Sitarangi
08/31/2010, 12:43 AM
I got him at Quality Marine for $22. I was looking for a juvi too but this guy was just too cool to pass up.

psykokid
08/31/2010, 12:46 AM
i agree, looks to have real nice colours..

Sitarangi
08/31/2010, 01:52 AM
My tank is heavily stocked and I realized that the possibility of losing fish is real. Here's what the tank is stocked with:

Ocellaris Pair: I think their safe, they have a host bta and are aggressive
Tailspot: Could be a goner, though he's got some pretty good hiding spots.
Sixline Wrasse: no way he could catch that
Dragon Sifting Goby: Too big... for now
Bristletail Filefish: too big for the lion, excellent aptasia eater
Bangaii Cardinal: Fair game, at the moment their too big.

The tank has nearly 60 pounds of rock and excellent filtration.

Vili_Shark
08/31/2010, 06:16 AM
business is QM should be bad if they're selling retail, or is it common?

Nice fish, but will need live feeders to start with.
They like live shrimps, so if you can get feeders it'll be good.

namxas
08/31/2010, 08:46 AM
Nice fu. I'd try the fish on small pieces of table shrimp rather than krill just so it doesn't get into a bad habit (too much krill has been linked to cases of lockjaw in lions), and to be honest, you can buy a few shrimp from the grocer's seafood counter cheaper than the same amount of krill from the LFS.

Our fu also takes salmon, snapper, tuna, etc. as well as shrimp, scallops, lobster and silversides (to name a few foods).

psykokid
08/31/2010, 10:17 AM

IIRC he works for a lfs in SD so he probably picked it up while he was up here looking for livestock for the company.

The Fu that I saw sunday morning at PAF was huge, easily the 5" max for the species..

I was scoping out a dwarf fuzzy at a small hole in the wall lfs down the street from my house. Fish had good colours, but seemed a bit lethargic. Kind of just chilling in the corner. Asked how long the fish had been there, about two weeks. What were they feeding it? goldfish.. :( I looked at the size of the feeders they had been giving it and realized that it would probably munch my flame hawk and my sixline if he could catch him. I wouldnt cry over the sixline, he's harassed my mandarin to the point where he was getting all uber skinny and had to be put in to my nano.. Good thing the mandy eats pellets..

Back on track, Fu's are cool and yes, you may loose a few fish.

Sitarangi
08/31/2010, 01:05 PM
Nice fu. I'd try the fish on small pieces of table shrimp rather than krill just so it doesn't get into a bad habit (too much krill has been linked to cases of lockjaw in lions), and to be honest, you can buy a few shrimp from the grocer's seafood counter cheaper than the same amount of krill from the LFS.

Our fu also takes salmon, snapper, tuna, etc. as well as shrimp, scallops, lobster and silversides (to name a few foods).

Thanks for the input, ill pick up some table shrimp. I also have a massive bag of squid for my BTA, ill see if he goes for that as well. Did you have any difficulty getting him to eat frozen? I might need to try impaled ghost shrimp first. Will garlic entice him to eat?

Ya I work at a fish store, he's eating ghost feeder shrimp like a champ so far.

Newreeflady
08/31/2010, 01:49 PM
IIRC he works for a lfs in SD so he probably picked it up while he was up here looking for livestock for the company.

The Fu that I saw sunday morning at PAF was huge, easily the 5" max for the species..

I was scoping out a dwarf fuzzy at a small hole in the wall lfs down the street from my house. Fish had good colours, but seemed a bit lethargic. Kind of just chilling in the corner. Asked how long the fish had been there, about two weeks. What were they feeding it? goldfish.. :( I looked at the size of the feeders they had been giving it and realized that it would probably munch my flame hawk and my sixline if he could catch him. I wouldnt cry over the sixline, he's harassed my mandarin to the point where he was getting all uber skinny and had to be put in to my nano.. Good thing the mandy eats pellets..

Back on track, Fu's are cool and yes, you may loose a few fish.

He could likely eat your mandarin as well, fyi. Any fish smaller than him are game, and mandarins are smaller than fuzzys.

namxas
08/31/2010, 02:16 PM
To be honest, we don't use garlic. I know some peeps seem to have some luck with it, but IMHO/IME, that's really not why "difficult" fish are tuff to wean. It's getting them used to eating for you (which yours is doing), then getting them to recognize the food item as a food item. An impaled ghostie would be a great start, then change to a dead ghostie on a stick.

Here's a link to an article on feeding/weaning techniques: Tools of the Trade... (http://www.lionfishlair.com/feedingtechniques/toolsofthetrade.shtml)

IME/IMHO, the "Renee's "Handy Dandy Super Sleuth Safe" Feeding stick" is the bomb, and has worked the best for us. Of course, Renee is pretty persistent...it's almost as if she won't take "no" for an answer when it comes to weaning fish.

HTH

shaithis13
08/31/2010, 05:20 PM
where does one find one of those clear sticks?

namxas
09/01/2010, 09:37 AM
We just get them from the LFS...they're commercial feeding sticks. I imagine they can be ordered from an e-tailer as well. Somebody even told me they used the clear plastic card holder that comes when you get flowers.

jarrod13
09/01/2010, 02:05 PM
Ya I get mine from the grocery store, where they sell flowers they should have the clear sticks that are used for cardholders. An advantage to those are one side is pointy (which is where I attach the fishing line) and the other side has three prongs for holding the card, which works great as a scooper if the meat falls off the stick

HTH

williams.luca
09/01/2010, 03:16 PM
Looks cool....always wanted one but he'll eat my other fish!

namxas
09/01/2010, 03:41 PM
Ya I get mine from the grocery store, where they sell flowers they should have the clear sticks that are used for cardholders. An advantage to those are one side is pointy (which is where I attach the fishing line) and the other side has three prongs for holding the card, which works great as a scooper if the meat falls off the stick

HTH

Thanks Jarrod...you just reminded me of who "somebody" is! :thumbsup:

shaithis13
09/01/2010, 11:10 PM
thx

Sitarangi
09/04/2010, 09:28 PM
Update: I have added the fu to the tank as well as 20 or so peppermint shrimp. He seems afraid of the tank mates (The smallest being an aggressive sixline) and flairs his fins when any of them get close. I'm surprised at his activity level though, he swims around more than I thought he would.

http://i53.*******.com/9qjjgw.jpg

joe22883
09/04/2010, 10:31 PM
They swim more when they are nervous/stressed.

temperatepuffer
09/04/2010, 11:41 PM
Neat looking fish.