PDA

View Full Version : Whats the verdictk on the long tentical aneomnes ?

kimberlee
08/31/2010, 09:37 AM
Care level? compatibility? ect.

qbical
08/31/2010, 10:33 AM
here is a link with some info
HTH
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/762935/facts_about_the_pacific_longtentacle.html

kimberlee
08/31/2010, 11:01 AM
here is a link with some info
HTH
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/762935/facts_about_the_pacific_longtentacle.html

links are great, personal experience better.

stingythingy45
08/31/2010, 11:10 AM
I believe it was found guilty.:fun4:

Just make sure you have a good sized tank.They'll sting the heck out of any corals in the area.

Mavrk
08/31/2010, 11:26 AM
I would ask this in the anemone/clownfish forum. All I can say is that if your tank is less than 6 months old, I wouldn't put any kind of anemone in there. Also, LTA's do not split and can get big. So details about your tank would be helpful. Parameters (including salinity, nitrate, temp, etc.), lighting, size, sump, skimmer, powerheads, etc. The more you tell us about your system, the easier it is to help.

Toddrtrex
08/31/2010, 12:08 PM
That article left a bit to be desired.

kimberlee -- tell me a bit about your tank.

But, in general.. LTAs (( M. doreensis )) can be a bit challenging -- mainly finding a healthy one, and even if you do, some of them just don't seem to settle in. Make sure to check the foot for any damage -- do NOT purchase one that has any damage to its foot.

The mouth should be tightly closed, and avoid any white LTAs.

I would say that the tank should be around 75 gallons (( exceptions can be made if you have a decent amount of experience with anemones )). Should have a sandbed that is at least 3" deep -- deeper for larger ones -- can be locally deep. They are sand dwelling anemones.

Flow can be tricky -- enough to clear wastes, but not too much to blow it around. All powerheads MUST be covered. For lighting, I would say either MH or T5's (( with individual reflectors )) -- the amount of either depends on the tank and color temp.

Normal reef parameters -- 0's for the "bad" stuff, salinity/SG should be 35 PPT/1.026 cal 350-450 alk ~ 3 meq/l Mag. 1300-1500 and temps b/t 76-83.

DaveBien
08/31/2010, 04:48 PM
Todd knows anemones !!!!!

Toddrtrex
08/31/2010, 05:31 PM

Hey stranger.

thebkramer
08/31/2010, 05:51 PM

:thumbsup:

I had a LTA for 2yrs in my 55g. He was HUGE before he passed away due to a tank crash. He completely took up the left side of my tank. His tentacles were soooo long!! He could touch the back to front and when he was full extended he could touch the top of the tank as well!! so that is 12in Wide (back to front of tank) and almost 18 in tall. My clowns loved it.. of course! I miss them very much.. but I would never put another LTA in a 55g or even a 75g for that matter! They need alot of room.
IMO.. he was very easy to care for and I hardly ever fed him. Every once in a blue I would give him frozen formula one and it was amazing to watch him wrap his tentacles around it and bring to his mouth!! Tentacles IMO didn't have much of a sting.. but my Longnose Butterfly did get stuck one day and I had to help him get out :(
I hope that helps you some :bounce3:

kimberlee
08/31/2010, 09:20 PM
Sorry was off cooking for a bit. 55gal,ammonia, phosphates, and nitrates stay stable between 0-5,2 power heads and a sea clone protein skimmer, fitted for a hundred gal tank to take on the 20 gal sump going on next. T-5 Lighting. Sand bed is 3" deep, temp 80 deg., SG 1.023.

kimberlee
08/31/2010, 09:26 PM
:thumbsup:

I had a LTA for 2yrs in my 55g. He was HUGE before he passed away due to a tank crash. He completely took up the left side of my tank. His tentacles were soooo long!! He could touch the back to front and when he was full extended he could touch the top of the tank as well!! so that is 12in Wide (back to front of tank) and almost 18 in tall. My clowns loved it.. of course! I miss them very much.. but I would never put another LTA in a 55g or even a 75g for that matter! They need alot of room.
IMO.. he was very easy to care for and I hardly ever fed him. Every once in a blue I would give him frozen formula one and it was amazing to watch him wrap his tentacles around it and bring to his mouth!! Tentacles IMO didn't have much of a sting.. but my Longnose Butterfly did get stuck one day and I had to help him get out :(
I hope that helps you some :bounce3:
THX< wanted to hear some good. Everythig online makes them sound as if they need their own tank.

Toddrtrex
08/31/2010, 09:48 PM
Sorry was off cooking for a bit. 55gal,ammonia, phosphates, and nitrates stay stable between 0-5,2 power heads and a sea clone protein skimmer, fitted for a hundred gal tank to take on the 20 gal sump going on next. T-5 Lighting. Sand bed is 3" deep, temp 80 deg., SG 1.023.

I would up your SG to 1.026.

Would upgrade your skimmer.

What T5 fixture? How many bulbs, color, wattage? Individual reflectors?

steelhead77
09/01/2010, 12:47 AM
I would stay away from the LTA's Kim. They can be challenging and they do get huge. I'd recommend starting out with a Bubble Tip Anemone (BTA) they are a lot more forgiving in the care needed. I have green one I'll GIVE you if you want it.

ludnix
09/01/2010, 02:04 AM
Mine got too big for my 120g, It made it impossible to add anything near it's quarter of the tank.

kimberlee
09/01/2010, 11:19 AM
1 fixture, 2 bulbs, 1 bulb 10,000k ultra sun, 1 6,500 actinic blue, w/ own reflector. putting in another fixture by the end of the month.

Toddrtrex
09/01/2010, 11:24 AM
With your current lights, I wouldn't suggest any hosting anemone.

Mavrk
09/01/2010, 11:24 AM
I would up your SG to 1.026.

Agreed, except I would spend the 40 bucks and get a refractometer and run salinity at 35. SG is temperature dependent and hydrometers are unreliable.

The other option is to bring in some water to your LFS and compare your readings to their refractometer (provided they use one).

Toddrtrex
09/01/2010, 11:28 AM
Agreed, except I would spend the 40 bucks and get a refractometer and run salinity at 35. SG is temperature dependent and hydrometers are unreliable.

The other option is to bring in some water to your LFS and compare your readings to their refractometer (provided they use one).

Minor point, but my refrac measures both SG and salinity and auto corrects for temp. :)

kimberlee
09/18/2010, 11:36 AM
With your current lights, I wouldn't suggest any hosting anemone.

I plan to add more lighting in side of the month, preparing for a BTA. Other than stronger lighting are there any other preparations I can make before I bring one home?

Nemo8710
09/18/2010, 11:38 AM
I Have seen BTA is nano with the stock PC< The nem also look shappy and healty . BUt i myself still would not do it. I like for my stuff to thrive nto survive.

nikon187
09/18/2010, 01:50 PM
The canister filter is a nitrate factory and that skimmer should be upgraded.

2Addicted
09/18/2010, 03:10 PM
I plan to add more lighting in side of the month, preparing for a BTA. Other than stronger lighting are there any other preparations I can make before I bring one home?

Cover all powerheads! Now that your thinking about a bta they have different needs than lta.