PDA

View Full Version : Strangest thing

campos
08/31/2010, 08:49 PM
I have a 125 gallon mix reef and recently installed moonlighting. Now I'm pretty certain this is totally coincidental but I "had" (key word) a 5-6 inch blue jaw trigger that I've had for about 2 years. Well the day I installed the lights he was out eating and acting totally normal and was also out that night with the moonlights on. Well that was the last I've seen of him and this was about a month ago. Yes I looked for him; the best I could that is. I tore down the right and left sides of my tank and no trigger. Here trigger, trigger. The only thing I could think is he's somewhere in the middle where I don't want to completely tear down. Oh well, very strange. Yes I've been doing water changes every week for a month now and so far so good. I haven't lost anything.

TripleT
08/31/2010, 08:58 PM
Moonlights scare some fish. The shimmering effect you typically get I think is a bit of a surprise to them after living in less dynamic lighting conditions.

A 5-6 inch trigger? Have you checked your ammonia levels? If he is dead I think you would have had a spike.

Does your tank have a massive cleanup crew?

Do you have cats or dogs? Could they have gotten him off the carpet?

Do you have an overflow? Have you checked it?

Some triggers grunt. Have you heard any grunts?

Do you have a lot of rockwork with hiding spaces? I wonder if he is hiding, or if he got stuck. Certainly hope it's not the latter.

Is your tank covered?

campos
08/31/2010, 10:38 PM
I have a decent cleanup crew. No he didn't get out. If he jumped out he would be behind the tank and I'm sure I would smell him by now. The only thing I could think is he's in the rock somewhere in the middle of the tank. I wonder how long it would take a trigger that size to die without eating? He was always a healty eater. As far as ammonia spikes that's why I've been doing a water change every week. 20 gallons every week.