PDA

View Full Version : zeovit

tankjunky
08/31/2010, 11:31 PM
Ok Im realy starting to get into SPS and Ive seen posts about zeovit for a very long time but ive never realy knew what it was, I read on it thru the online stores and they say it makes the water more natural. Is that all it realy does, I plan on getting rid of most of my soft corals and am wondering if it would be something to start running in my tank or if I should keep to other stuff.

cnaegler
09/01/2010, 06:22 AM
It's pretty much a personal choice. I tried it but didn't care for the maintenance schedule of it...i moved back to a fuge with a DSB. Alot less cost and hassle for me

E.intheC
09/01/2010, 10:37 AM
there's a forum that's dedicated to Zeovit. Take a look. There are lots of opinions out there. Just make sure you look at everything carefully.

It's not a "quick fix" and it's recommended that if you have an established tank w/ sand bed you'll want to do everything you can to reduce nutrients in said sand bed before starting Zeovit. That's the main reason why I'm waiting to start. It will happen soon though.

tankjunky
09/01/2010, 12:42 PM
how would you reduce nutrients in the sand bed, the sand in my tank has been going for about 3-4 years now.

E.intheC
09/01/2010, 12:51 PM
Mine is a shallow sand bed, so I'm just doing more water changes than normal, and in each water change I'm vacuuming the sand bed (1/3 of the tank at a time) the best I can.. It's not a flawless method but will help, IMO.

DSB's aren't recommend for the Zeovit system because they store nutrients too well, and that doesn't go along with the Zeovit method.

tankjunky
09/01/2010, 01:06 PM
So should I start out just running carbon and phosfate removers first. Im just trying to get a more detaled veiw of the stuff.

E.intheC
09/01/2010, 01:24 PM
yeah you really should take some time and read the information. There's lots of articles, PDF files, etc.