PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!! Racemosa is spewing..

thebkramer
09/01/2010, 07:11 AM
out green dye!! It looks like its spawning.. my tank is sooooo cloudy! What do I do? Is it going to kill my tank?? It has never done this in a year that I've had it. I'm in a panic!!

James404
09/01/2010, 07:41 AM
Sounds like it has gone sexual, releasing spores into the water column. I don't think this will bother your other inhabitants but you may want to do a water change to help clear the water.

thebkramer
09/01/2010, 07:46 AM
Thanks for responding. I can't find anything online and I am in a panic.. it sucks. I am also in process of doing an ER w/c.. and I yanked out the racemosa.

All my corals are opened.. and fish are breathing normal.. so thats a positive.. but ya never know :( And I don't have any tests at the moment :( <sigh>

Sugar Magnolia
09/01/2010, 08:50 AM
Here's an article that may be of some help - http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/nftt/index.php

thebkramer
09/01/2010, 09:53 AM
Scary stuff!!! So.. I did a water change and added new carbon and pulled out the Macro. Tank is already clearing up :) Now.. What do I do with the Macro? I yanked all the die off, off and it is in a bucket w/ air pump. Can I leave it in there for a few days until LFS can take it? They said they have too much and Of Course, can't take mine in :(
Will it be okay in just the bucket with air pump? Thanks...

thebkramer
09/01/2010, 09:56 AM
BTW... THANKS SUGAR MAGNOLIA!!! That article helped ease my mind! I had also found a post from an fellow RCer from 7 yrs ago that went through this with the Racemosa. Between the two of you.. my heartbeat and blood pressure came down :D

P.S. Whenever I see your name.. I always sing the Dead song :lmao:

gweston
09/01/2010, 11:13 AM
Wow interesting. I never knew that... always learning new stuff in this hobby all the time..