PDA

View Full Version : LPS Propagation Q?

Palting
09/02/2010, 03:10 PM
I have a Blastomussa. Likes low flow and low-moderate light, so I have it sitting on my substrate. Do they grow into surrounding rock, or do they build their own skeleton and I don't have to worry about putting them next to rocks?

Here's a pic.

Thanks!!
http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab71/Kalawing/IMG_0157.jpg

Palting
09/02/2010, 07:43 PM
Anyone?

Palting
09/03/2010, 06:32 AM
Someone?

jer77
09/03/2010, 07:27 AM
I have never owned one, but i have an acan and lots of euphyllia for lps. They expand and retract their fleshy stuff during day/night, or changes in current and feeding. Place it where there is low current for now, somewhere like a corner or a sheltered little inlet in your rocks. Watch its habits for a few days and then start to feed it 1-2x per week with anything from flakes to small mysis. It won't eat much the first time, but keep doing it. Its important to stay on a schedule of feeding it. LPS corals don't necessary need food, but blastomussas are ones that it def helps. The growth will be minimal to none for a while. LPS also grow very slow, in general reef tanks. They don't need much light at all so always have it near or on the bottom. You prob want to put it on a rock and not right in the sand so the delicate red tissue can expand and not get buried.

jer77
09/03/2010, 07:39 AM
oh it is very important to turn down your water pumps for minimal flow during feeding. At first since it hasn't eaten for a while, and in general for lps anyways, they don't have the best food capturing apparatus. I's also put a rock under it so the red tissue isn't buried or smooshed around the corners. LPS are like clams- they like to be set down and not moved or messed with for a long time. Overtime the red flesh will expand to greater lengths all the time to fill in their area. I'm not really sure on the shape of their skeleton so i cant say much about its growth patterns. They are considered one of the faster growing lps though

Palting
09/03/2010, 10:29 AM
Thank you!!

I've got it on the least flow area of the tank, in an area between the 150W MH lights, and it's about 22" down from the surface. It stayed closed when I first put it in with the lights off, opened up some under the actinics this morning, but really opened up when the halides kicked in.

I can place it closer to the rocks, but then the flow really kicks up in those areas, and I'm a little hesitant to do so since these reportedly don't like too much flow. That's why I was wondering if I should put it close to rocks for growth.

I'll look for a flat piece of rock to lay it on, so it's not on the substrate but won't bring it closer to the light.