PDA

View Full Version : Micro Bubble Problem

AusBloke
09/02/2010, 04:51 PM
Having a bit of a micro bubble drama..

My display is full of them, I made a quick video as pics didn't really show it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYBbc1Ub15w

It seems like the bubbles are coming from the skimmer.

So I throttled back the feeder pump from 500lph to 300lph.. still the bubbles.

Put a little 200lph pump on it, still bubbles.

Only way I can stop it is to have NO flow at all to the skimmer. I understand that I will get some bubbles from the skimmer, but for some reason they are making it through my bubble trap and into the return area.

Any tips or ideas on how to combat this problem?

Only thing I thought of was a filter sock over the skimmer return pipe, and over the overflow pipes (in case they are adding to the problem)

Older pic, but shows my bubbletrap:
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg44/BeerOps/Fish%20Tanks/skimmeroutlet.jpg

Only other solution I can see that may work, is to throttle back the return pump, and then the main siphon, as maybe the reason the bubbles are getting through, is because there is too much flow for the sump to handle?

Specs:
25mm Pressure Siphons
3000lph return pump, (diverting a little bit to the fuge off this maybe 200lph, not sure) Head height of 1.5mtr from sump to tank (pump is 3.5mtr H-max)

RcToners
09/02/2010, 06:39 PM
I think your baffles should have gone under over under, With the way they are set up you are creating even more bubbles when the water drops off over the last baffle to the return pump. Short of switching your baffles I would throw a filer sock on the skimmer return as well as the overflow, this should help quite a bit. You can also get a tall square tuppermaid container the same height as your water level where the skimmer return is, throw the filter sock on the skimmer return and put both inside the tupperware container, as long as the tupperware is the same height as your water level it will drastically cut down your micro bubbles :)

AusBloke
09/02/2010, 08:56 PM
Fixed.. filter sock on siphon pipe in sump.. must have an air leak somewhere, will look into it.