PDA

View Full Version : Apex vs RKE - wireless capabilities

Lion-o
09/02/2010, 07:01 PM
Hey All,

I am looking at buying a controller now and I know this thread has been done a million times... Apex is generally considered better support and more complicated (but powerful) due to its programming nature. I am currently controller agnostic and am curious as to which one seems to have better wireless/net functionality?

I would one day like to have one controller that is able to wirelessly monitor all my tanks through the house ... I realize we are not there yet, but is either headed in that direction?

Also, does the RKE have all the same net functionalities today as the Apex? I read a lot of "coming soon" threads...

thanks in advance
~

danel
09/02/2010, 08:16 PM
I'm also looking into this at the moment. So far from what I have read, it seems that the Apex has better wireless functions. Also, the Apex can be controlled from any online source which is what's making me lean a bit towards the Apex

builderguy
09/03/2010, 03:44 PM
Neither has wireless...only Profilux does...but the wireless is to your network, not the control/monitor modules.

I just got the RKE, after looking at both manuals the Apex gave me a headache trying to figure it out...and I have a programming background.

The headunit on the RKE has an icon for wireless but in the manual it says its for future functionality, so don't know what their plans are there.

LifeAquatic
09/03/2010, 04:31 PM
Wireless is easy. Hook your Net module up to a wireless gaming adapter. The kind of adapter sold for ps3 or xbox. I use a wireless adapter call "Trendnet wireless gaming adapter." Net module is plugged into gaming adapter. The signal is beamed to my wireless router from gaming adapter. Then from wireless router to computer. Takes 5 minutes to hook up and no ethernet cable running from computer to fish tank. Honestly... How many people have a computer next to the fish tank? Would be nice if the manufacturers would include a wireless option when ordering the net module. This gaming adapter works with RKE, RKL, APEX.

LifeAquatic
09/03/2010, 04:35 PM
Neither has wireless...only Profilux does...but the wireless is to your network, not the control/monitor modules.

I just got the RKE, after looking at both manuals the Apex gave me a headache trying to figure it out...and I have a programming background.

The headunit on the RKE has an icon for wireless but in the manual it says its for future functionality, so don't know what their plans are there.

+1. When I first got the APEX I went through the instruction manual front to back. The manual is not complete. I didnt understand it. Read it a second time and still didnt understand it. I eventually sold my Apex and bought a RKE. Didnt even need the instructions to set RKE up. Needless to say Im very happy with the RKE.

James77
09/03/2010, 06:50 PM
Here is a link with a better set of instructions for the Apex:

http://reeftech.webs.com/

The programming is very easy after a small learning curve.

jtma508
09/04/2010, 06:10 AM
The RKE with the new ReefKeeper software allows you to monitror and control the system from a PC. The only thing you would need is a ~$45 USB wireless adapter.

superray2002
09/04/2010, 09:21 AM
I have had both the RKE and APEX. Even with build 65 Beta on the RKE, the APEX is more network friendly for control (the iPhone/iPod app is awesome, I sometime actually use my iPod wireless when in the other room as more of a hand held remote control for my pumps when I need to work on them!). Using the wizards on the APEX gets a fair bit of the programming done to get you up and running (such as lights and pumps) but you will need to do some reading to get advanced stuff (like delays or light ramp up/down statements for advanced lighting control)

If for example you wanted to add a delay to a float switch on an ATO (so that the pump doesn't keep going on for off or an alarm for low or high water as the water is pumped/splashed in) you can add a DELAY statement in the APEX, but not with the RKE (the result is 200 emails in a matter of moments if you do it incorrect) :furious:

Both have their strengths and weaknesses (which are more software than hardware) and are both very powerful controllers, but take the time to understand the APEX manual/programming a little (there are excellent examples and others who you can cut/copy working statements from) and you won't be relying on DA to impliment features in the firmware to do some really creative automation. :reading:

I LOVE the fact that the APEX has a Season Table to it so it controls my Sunrise/Sunset and Water Temps with seasonal adjustments.

I switched to the APEX because I grew tired of the "coming soon" attitude with DA. Neptune is A+ in my book for customer service so far!

scottjm
09/04/2010, 09:39 AM
I switched to the APEX because I grew tired of the "coming soon" attitude with DA. Neptune is A+ in my book for customer service so far!

I was very close to pulling the trigger on the DA. I attempted to call them multiple times throughout the week and was never able to get a live person on the phone to answer my questions. (I didn't leave a voicemail nor attempted to email) After reading about the salinity probe issue i opted to hold tight on my purchase.

The controllers are undoubtedly a preference type item. I am personally holding out to see how the new GHL Profilux Touch controller pans out before making my final decision. I would imagine that waiting for over a year for coming soon would get really old quick.

superray2002
09/04/2010, 10:00 AM
I was very close to pulling the trigger on the DA. I attempted to call them multiple times throughout the week and was never able to get a live person on the phone to answer my questions. (I didn't leave a voicemail nor attempted to email)

To be fair I think most are at MACNA right now, but having said that you should indicate to your customers when you operate with reduced staffing (and not in a forum posting...but on your main website).

I like that RapidLED's main page website says....Were at MACNA, come visit us! Well ship your stuff as soon as we get back.

We all know everyone needs time away from the office but nothing ****es me off more than finding out after the phone rings busy all day that the office was closed (Yes, Harris County Toll Road Authority...I am referring to you!)

twinypalm
09/04/2010, 10:05 AM
I am asking myself the same question now, Apex or RKE?

scottjm
09/04/2010, 12:36 PM
As of this Last Wed. Da announced a update to the salinity probe problem. This may shift me back to rke.

http://www.forum.digitalaquatics.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7044

As far as the op mentioned it looks like zigbee will eventually will be enabled which would be great.

Lion-o
09/04/2010, 12:46 PM
DA declares in this thread that they will not be going the route of zigbee:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16977367&highlight=zigbee#post16977367

James77
09/04/2010, 01:07 PM
I am personally holding out to see how the new GHL Profilux Touch controller pans out before making my final decision. I would imagine that waiting for over a year for coming soon would get really old quick.

Just FYI if you didn't know-the Profilux Touch is an interface to the Profilux controller, not a controller itself. You'd need a Profilux III controller to use it.

janes_mw
09/04/2010, 03:13 PM
Hands down with me, had RK, HAVE APEX. Both great units, but I like my APEX better.

For what it's worth :)

mike