PDA

View Full Version : Sump/Refugium question...

Omie
09/02/2010, 10:49 PM
Is good or bad have sand in the sump?
Will stress my corals and fishes?
Will be better the filtration?
any other thing that I need to be aware? :hmm4:

kcochran0010
09/02/2010, 11:07 PM
Sand in the sump is known as a refugium this is a great thing nothing bad at all, add some macro algae and live rock rubble and your set to go!

Mavrk
09/02/2010, 11:30 PM
Using sand or not is up to you. If it is a high flow area, then sand would probably not be a good idea. A deep sand bed (DSB) can help with nitrates once it is established (which takes several months, and you do not want to disturb it). Read up on DSB before you start one. I love them but you have to know why it is there to really understand how to keep one working for you. Any level of sand bed is good to put macro algae in. A bare bottom is good for easy cleaning. Like I said, it is up to you.

Omie
09/03/2010, 07:33 AM
Thanks for the post,
I only will put a little bit of sand not a dsb (dont have to much space) to put some micro alge... The thing is that one person told me that it will discontrol my levels bc i'm putting sand on the sump/refugium...

this is my sump, but I will take out my skimmer(making it external skimmer) and make another division to do the refugium... any other suggestion
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af269/omie11/sump002.jpg