PDA

View Full Version : Help!!

Dbroncos
09/03/2010, 10:24 AM
So I have a 12 gallon nano cube which contains live rock and has been running for 2 months now. I already went through the "cycle" and have since added a cleanup crew. Eveything was going ok so I added to coral frags two days ago. The problem is I have brown algae all over my live rock and live sand. I performed many water changes over the past two weeks to try and "help" the situation. The water has a yellowish tint to it as well. My coral has yet to fully open and is staring to get some of the algae growing on it. Here are my parameters:

Salinity = 1.025
Nitrates = 0
Nitrites = 0
Ammonia = 0
Phosphates = 0

All of these readings are from an API test kit. I've doulbe checked all readings. What should I do? Is this normal after 2 months?

thegrun
09/03/2010, 10:34 AM
Most likely, yes it is normal; you can expect various algae blooms for the first 6 months or so as your tank stabilizes. A couple of things that may help: More water flow (30 times your tank volume per hour minimum), photoperiod (main lights 7-8 hours per day, actinic 10-12 hours), increase your cleanup crew, particularly the snails (you do not mention the CUC size, but you may need more).

Dbroncos
09/03/2010, 10:39 AM
I forgot too mention in the back chamber of the nano cube I am and have been running Purigen, Chmi Pure Elite, and filter floss (which I have been changing daily the past couple of weeks). I have done two 15% water changes so far this week and in the past I was doing weekly wtaer changes of about 10%.

Mavrk
09/03/2010, 10:46 AM
Yellow tinted water is fixed with carbon. The brown algae is part of the maturing process. If it has air bubbles in it, then it is dinoflagellates. If it doesn't then it is most likely diatoms.

BTW, after the brown algae comes the green algae.