PDA

View Full Version : Do I need something to turn over sand in fuge

ezhoops
09/03/2010, 10:49 AM
My tank has been set up for about 3 months now and everything is going fine. I've had many tanks in the past but this is the first with a fuge. The fuge is roughly 12-15 gallons with about 8-9 inches of sugar fine sand, chaeto, calupera, and some LR. My question is do I need some nassarius snails or something to turn over the surface of the sand?

thanx

Mavrk
09/03/2010, 11:56 AM
I would put some nassarius snails in there.

krak256
09/03/2010, 01:25 PM
wont the nassarius snails die unless they get something to feed on? my fuge doesn't get that must waste/food

leshnign
09/03/2010, 02:29 PM
Go with 5-10 nassarius snails....they'll get down in the sand bed, much deeper then just the surface. Also...what type of calaupera do you have? I'd stick with just the chaeto... it'll do a great job eating nutrients. Just make sure you groom it to keep it active. Calaupera tends to choke everything else out, espesially Racemosa (Grape) Calaupera. JMO

ruprecht
09/03/2010, 03:28 PM
wont the nassarius snails die unless they get something to feed on? my fuge doesn't get that must waste/foodYes they will.

ruprecht
09/03/2010, 03:33 PM
My tank has been set up for about 3 months now and everything is going fine. I've had many tanks in the past but this is the first with a fuge. The fuge is roughly 12-15 gallons with about 8-9 inches of sugar fine sand, chaeto, calupera, and some LR. My question is do I need some nassarius snails or something to turn over the surface of the sand?

thanxUnless your sand bed is getting a ridiculous amount of flow 8 inches seems a bit deep. If you don't have that much flow the more critters stirring it up the better.

reefgeezer
09/03/2010, 09:23 PM
Unless you are feeding the fuge with water from the skimmer or some other efficient filter, there will be some waste that settles in the sand. The snails can live on almost nothing. They also serve to keep the sand from compacting and blocking water and gas exchange. A Cuc can also help, but I'd wait a while before I put anything in.

cloak
09/04/2010, 11:23 AM
If you want, you can loose the snails all together and just use your finger to stir up the first 1/2" or so right before a water change. Those larger Tongan nassarius snails aren't really going to go down any further than that really.

lolgranny
09/04/2010, 01:36 PM
Id say nass snails as well, maybe a sally light foot.

hiredgun18
09/04/2010, 05:11 PM
All nass. snails that i put in my fuge died within a few months time.

scubasteve06
09/04/2010, 06:55 PM
my ceriths bury themselves in my 4-5" sand bed in my DT all the time to the point I can't even see them, and I think they are dead. Then all the sudden its davey jones' ship from pirates of the caribbean and they come busting out. I'd say cerith's my thats JMO.

cloak
09/04/2010, 09:24 PM
my ceriths bury themselves in my 4-5" sand bed in my DT all the time to the point I can't even see them, and I think they are dead. Then all the sudden its davey jones' ship from pirates of the caribbean and they come busting out. I'd say cerith's my thats JMO.

Four to five, why do you think they are doing that? I've never seen that before. If anything, I'll see them on the ledge. Up instead of down.