PDA

View Full Version : Internet Access - Yes, another confused individual

1leftygolfer
09/04/2010, 05:59 AM
Okay, I've had the Apex up and running for 60ish days. Enjoying the automation, but have unsuccessfully established external connectivity.

I'm not an server/internet access geek, so please go gentle and simple.

Hardware - ATT DSL with Netopia modem.
Cisco - Linksys E3000 router, but have ethernet cable connected.

I do have internal access with port assignment - not 80 or 8080.

Established Dyndns account.

Port forward assignment trailing the dyndns account in router setup.

I've re-read the Alan's guide many times to include the FAQ on the dyndns support page.

Appreciate any assistance with verifying or looking at other potential areas.

rinconmike
09/04/2010, 06:18 AM
instead of trying with the Dyndns address, can you get in using just the WAN IP address?

Do you have any other port forwards that do work?

What port are you using, possibly try another port.

Is the Apex pulling an IP via DHCP? If you set static, did you set DNS numbers in the Apex?

I think with the Linksys routers, you can bind a mac address to a specific IP. So you can set the APEX to pull via DHCP, but it will always get the same IP.

Mike

RussM
09/04/2010, 10:26 AM
That Netopia may actually be a router. Check the WAN IP address of the Linksys router - compare it against the IP address shown here: http://www.reeftronics.net/showip.php. If they are the same, then the Netopia is configured as a simple DSL modem. If they are different, then it is set as a router.

Once we know for sure, then we can help further.

1leftygolfer
09/04/2010, 02:50 PM
Russ appreciate the assistance.

The WAN IP address of the Linksys router is different than public IP address.

rinconmike
09/04/2010, 02:56 PM
not sure which netopia you have, but here is a link that may help.

http://www.netopia.com/support/hardware/3342.html

This one may work:

CQG_022: IP Passthrough

Or this one

CQG_015: Disabling Network Address Translation (NAT)

1leftygolfer
09/04/2010, 04:07 PM
Thanks again.

IP Passthrough is set for my router's address.

The NAT configuration settings is a little more confusing...it has a drop down menu to select the various gaming type access...I'm not real sure what to select. I tried DNS, but that didn't work. I noticed the only option to select with DNS is the router's address versus the public IP.

So, I don't know what do next.

rinconmike
09/04/2010, 04:09 PM
I would think you need to disable NAT as well as any DHCP server in the Netopia. What model is it.

1leftygolfer
09/04/2010, 04:53 PM
I've navigated around the various options and pull down menus without any success of disabling NAT...I did however disable the DHCP server and lost internet connection. Had to do a hard reset on the modem to get it back to the original config.

Model - 2241N-VGx

Specialtang
09/04/2010, 04:59 PM
Are you port forwarding the right port in your router and / or modem?

Also you should not be able to go out of your network to the internet and right back in to your Apex. Most linksys (cisco) devices do not permit this action.

1leftygolfer
09/06/2010, 05:46 AM
Yes, I think I have the port forwarding correctly accomplished in my router's optional settings. Like many others, there are so many different modems, routers, and software for those items it's difficult to nail down exactly what I'm missing or over looking.

No, I'm not going back forth out and back into my network or Apex...if I understand what your meaning.

More specifics:

Single port forwarding (versus port forward range) established for the router...192.168.0.XX:XXXX

DDNS setup in router with host name XXXXXX.dyndns.org:XXXX (same port forward) with an IP address of 192.168.1.X

The light bulb (above my head) might be getting brighter. I noticed in the router settings the DHCP is enabled. Do I simply disable this setting without doing anything else?

rinconmike
09/06/2010, 06:06 AM
check this out.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,20441385?hilite=2241n+vgx

Is there a bridge mode in your modem and then have your router log in using PPOE (or however you log in to your ISP, if you log in at all)?

1leftygolfer
09/06/2010, 06:45 AM
rinconmike, thanks for the help.

Yes, there is an option in the Bellsouth software version for the modem that has PPPoE (currently selected) to a "bridged ethernet" option. Is there something else I need to do to the router once I select the bridged option?

rinconmike
09/06/2010, 06:50 AM
rinconmike, thanks for the help.

Yes, there is an option in the Bellsouth software version for the modem that has PPPoE (currently selected) to a "bridged ethernet" option. Is there something else I need to do to the router once I select the bridged option?

If you use PPPOE, i think you may need to set the router to log in with your PPPOE Userid and Password. This should be under the WAN settings in the router.

everything on your LAN side should stay the same.

1leftygolfer
09/06/2010, 07:35 AM
Here is list of configuration changes made, unsuccessfully.

Changed Modem from PPoP to Bridge Ethernet, bridge - lost internet connection, hard reset.

Changed Modem from PPop to Bridge ethernet, routed bridge - lost internet connection, soft rest.

Changed Router from Auto Configuration DHCP to PPoP (after modem configuration change as well) with appropriate login and password - lost internet connection, changed router back to Auto Configuration DHCP.

Frustrating.

rinconmike
09/06/2010, 07:38 AM
Does the router pull a WAN IP after the changes?

Can you Clone the MAC address of the modem and put that in for the router WAN ethernet port? This may also be an issue.

1leftygolfer
09/06/2010, 08:48 AM
Does the router pull a WAN IP after the changes?

Honestly, I didn't notice...I was focused on getting modem hard reset accomplished.

Can you Clone the MAC address of the modem and put that in for the router WAN ethernet port? This may also be an issue.

The router's clone MAC address is disabled. I will try it.

1leftygolfer
09/06/2010, 08:57 AM
No such luck.

1leftygolfer
09/10/2010, 01:56 PM
Appreciate if anyone else has any other suggestions. Thanks.

kurt_n
09/10/2010, 02:05 PM
So internal network connection is OK, but external internet connection isn't working? If so...

How are you testing the external connection? If you're trying to use your dyndns external domain name to access the Apex on your home pc... or anything that is being fed by your home network... I don't think it will work. Go to the dyndns help articles and look for "loopback connection" issues - it will explain why. In a nutshell though, you have to go outside of your home network to test internet connectivity.

If that's not the issue... not sure what else to offer. I found there are soooo many places to not get it right, just within my own setup. Don't have a clue about hardware other than my own!

kma408
09/10/2010, 04:03 PM
Me too, I have apex base, I could not make it work on internet, I use it around my house by wifi only. :(.

1leftygolfer
09/11/2010, 05:57 AM
So internal network connection is OK, but external internet connection isn't working? If so...

How are you testing the external connection? If you're trying to use your dyndns external domain name to access the Apex on your home pc... or anything that is being fed by your home network... I don't think it will work. Go to the dyndns help articles and look for "loopback connection" issues - it will explain why. In a nutshell though, you have to go outside of your home network to test internet connectivity.

If that's not the issue... not sure what else to offer. I found there are soooo many places to not get it right, just within my own setup. Don't have a clue about hardware other than my own!

Kurt - Correct, internal network is good to go. I'm testing the external connection using the Android app via my 3g phone. I've tried soooo many different combinations of settings on the modem and router, and nearly all of them seem to require a modem hard reset to regain internet connection. Very frustrating.

1leftygolfer
09/11/2010, 06:03 AM
Me too, I have apex base, I could not make it work on internet, I use it around my house by wifi only. :(.

It's hard to pin point exactly which of the issues can directly contribute to the problem. Too many variables...I know the router manufactures have to account for all of the options for all of it's customers given their knowledge base, but some of this stuff is a little over the top.

Wondering if the Neptune customer support is capable/willing to guide someone with limited knowledge through the variable jungle of settings?

rinconmike
09/11/2010, 08:15 AM
I think it has to be how your modem is passing the information to your router.

try the forums at www.dslreports.com and see if someone has the same setup.

kurt_n
09/11/2010, 10:28 PM
Kurt - Correct, internal network is good to go. I'm testing the external connection using the Android app via my 3g phone. ...

OK... that kind of rules out the other thing I was thinking - that if you were testing your internet connection at your work, and you were using a non-standard port for the Apex, that your work's firewall might be blocking the connection.

I'm not familiar with the app for the Android. I'm assuming the Android has a browser? Have you tried accessing it by just using a browser and not the app? And if you have, what type of error were you seeing?

Specialtang
09/11/2010, 11:16 PM
Port forward assignment trailing the dyndns account in router setup.

You should not need to put the port in there.
If you forward port 8080 then all you need to do to hit the port from a browser is http://whatever.dyndns.org:8080
(i know you are not using port 8080 but you get the idea)

In the modem you send all traffic to the router no matter what it is.
Port forward ALL to your router. You said you had a drop down to allow and you selected DNS, check that list it might have an ALL set in it, mine did.
Then you have your router use NAT.

NAT should be enabled on the router - this will translate your internal IP address to your external IP address or vice versa.
You might also have to use Port forwarding on your router Port 8080 goes to this internal IP address

So the outside IP will hit the Modem and the modem will just pass it to the router to handle it. The router will then use NAT and forward it to the internal IP address you want so long as the port is set after the address in the browser.

Specialtang
09/11/2010, 11:26 PM
This might help a little better I just checked my modem, Sorry I use Cisco for my firewall / router so my commands will not work on the Linksys

Modem

Port forwarding Page:
Port forwarding Start port (your port your AC is using)
Port forwarding End port (your port your AC is using)
Lan IP address (IP of your Router)
Remote IP 0.0.0.0 (sends all traffic to router)

Application Page:
Application: ALL OR Web Server
Ip Address: (IP of your Router)

Router
Nat Enabled Any TCP IP on Port (your port for AC) to Internal IP Address

rinconmike
09/12/2010, 08:16 AM
what port number are you using on the Apex? Maybe your ISP is blocking that port. You can try another.

1leftygolfer
09/14/2010, 05:42 AM
I'd like to thank everyone for their help/inputs over the past week or so. RussM spent over an hour working with me last night to overcome a 2 router configuration problem. As most of you suspected, the ATT modem is actually a router that made it much more confusing for a network newbie - changing it's settings and reconfigurating the Cisco router to become an access point...along with a few minor IP address tweaks enabled the external access.

RussM - can't thank you enough for your valuable time and efforts. The next time I'm in the Southern Cal region, beverages are on me. :beer: