PDA

View Full Version : Evil Kole Tang

Aflac01
09/04/2010, 10:52 AM
I have an evil Kole Tang in my 240 gallon reef that keeps killing my clown fish...and generally punking everyone else in the tank (minus the blue tang who is twice his size that just ignores everyone and does his own thing), i know he needs to leave the tank....but catching him is rather difficult, any ideas on the best way to get him out....other than a tiny little spear gun (i would prefer a method that he survives)

the lars
09/04/2010, 11:39 AM
yeah Koleīs can be a real PITA...do you own a fishtrap? It will take some time till he goes in, but itīs effective - good hunting.

Otherwise itīs going to be hard without dismantling the rock work..

Mrbeachbum2
09/04/2010, 02:14 PM
Put a fish trap in there for a few days. Start feeding in it without trying to catch the Kole tang. Then wait to snatch him after a while. Had to get a powder brown out and that way worked.

klepto
09/04/2010, 05:30 PM
I had issues with this species too. Of course I was foolish enough to have it in a small tank.
I would recommend a night capture. Study your fish and find out where it rests at night. Simply wait a few hours after your photoperiod (minimizie ambient lighting too) and then flip on some lights and be ready with a net/clear container etc. Your fish will be temporarily stunned and much easier to catch.

Good luck!

Flems
09/04/2010, 06:08 PM
Flashbang anyone?

I second the trap. I've used 2L pop bottles in the past, but only on smaller fish.

Happy hunting!

pktech
09/04/2010, 06:32 PM
I think Klepto is on to something. It's been a succesful techinique for me.

DarthSimon
09/05/2010, 10:48 AM
Had same probelm with mine... I few big fish added put the Kole right into place... Not sure if you can do this...

aquaph8
09/05/2010, 11:25 AM
Use a piece of plexiglass cut to fit and some food. With some patience you should be able to trap him in a corner away from the rocks.

Aflac01
09/05/2010, 12:37 PM
yeah ive ordered a fish trap....acrylic pieces to wall off parts and capture him is hard...the stupid bracing on the top of the acrylic tank makes it hard to do things in the corners and such. its a 240 gallon tank so i have plenty of room for bigger fish....but i want to get this guy out....the light trick might be a good one to try....