PDA

View Full Version : New Red Flowerpot.. What do I do!

ramtmac
09/04/2010, 10:15 PM
Hi, I bought a red flowerpot coral two days ago that I absolutly love, but have read things that are making me worried about keeping the coral alive and "thriving".
I have a 125gal tank with a 30 gal sump, skimmer, with a toadstool, ricordia, and other soft corals. Fish too.

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips about what I need to be sure to do to keep the flowerpot alive and "thriving"?

Thanks

aniceplace
09/04/2010, 11:30 PM
Target feed! I had a green flower pot that did well for a month and then suddenly retracted completely without any changes to tank. This seems to be a common occurrence. I read that they like to be target fed and also like iron supplements. I tried both and it responded positively. It's doing very well now, but I can't be sure which of the two remedies was the fix. I tend to think it was the target feeding. I fed it oyster eggs. Good Luck!

ramtmac
09/05/2010, 12:01 AM
Awesome I'm glad to hear someone is keeping one. Where do you get oyster eggs? I have heard about people using a turkey baster to feed mysis. Is this agood idea? I've also donealot off reading about calcium and such. Its Just a.little over whelming. I have a candy cane with about 4 heads and a frog spawn too. I'm about to update my lights... Any suggestoons for my 125?

aniceplace
09/05/2010, 09:58 PM
Awesome I'm glad to hear someone is keeping one. Where do you get oyster eggs? I have heard about people using a turkey baster to feed mysis. Is this agood idea? I've also donealot off reading about calcium and such. Its Just a.little over whelming. I have a candy cane with about 4 heads and a frog spawn too. I'm about to update my lights... Any suggestoons for my 125?

Usually the well established coral shops stock the eggs in a liquid form; made by Ocean Nutrition or DT oyster eggs. I think mysis is too big. You might try frozen cyclopese; these also work. Check the lighting forum for light info. I think 175watt metal halides would be sufficient.

zma21
09/05/2010, 11:35 PM
I'm usually not a debbie downer, but it's a relatively good idea to have a bit of an education about the specimen you're introducing to your other hundreds of dollars of life.

Either way, congrats on the pickup.

ramtmac
09/06/2010, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I was told the red species was hardier, and knew I would have to feed it, but I wanted to getf some specifics and tips from those who have them in their tanks. Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it.