PDA

View Full Version : Is this CA OK to use for 2 part

maroun.c
09/05/2010, 03:52 AM
Is this Ca OK to use for 2 part?
It is food grade however it's flake form not powder that I'm used to using.
Should I be testing for copper or other impurities before using?

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm185/mcaqua150g/additives%20and%20testkits/Ca.jpg

HighlandReefer
09/05/2010, 06:31 AM
Should be ok to use, based on the fact that it is food grade which implies specific tolerances. Flake form is fine to use. Hobby grade test kits will not detect down to the levels of heavy metals we are concerned about.

maroun.c
09/05/2010, 01:55 PM
thanks for the info.
Would you advise to have it tested in a lab for copper or other things?
Also considering it's not as concentrated as the lab grade Ca I used to use, how much would you add per Gallon of part A?

bertoni
09/05/2010, 02:54 PM
It might be fine. Most people don't seem to have problems with the various brands of calcium chloride, although there is always some risk. Good lab tests would be very expensive.

It's about the same concentration as the older Dow Flake, so the quantities in the DIY article should be fine:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

Aquafred
09/06/2010, 10:52 AM
Why switch from what you are using and know works to a new source that could harm your system?

maroun.c
09/06/2010, 12:00 PM
It might be fine. Most people don't seem to have problems with the various brands of calcium chloride, although there is always some risk. Good lab tests would be very expensive.

It's about the same concentration as the older Dow Flake, so the quantities in the DIY article should be fine:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

Can you please emphasize on those tests as I don't mind going to lab testing to have peace of mind. The medical quality Ca I'm using costs me around 65 usd per KgCa (around 2 pounds) and this food grade one only costs 17 usd per 25 KG (around 50 Pounds) so the difference is huge.
If I was to send those for testing would you send the dry Ca and have them test it or mix it with Salt or fresh water for testing? What would you test for specifically? I'm considering Copper Silicates Ammonia Phosphates...
I have see some posts where Randy also mentions that he went through expetensive and expensive testing to prove Dowflake was safe to use, Unfortunately we don't get Dowflake here so I'm willing to test for this one as it's relatively a lot cheaper to use.
If those tests prove difficult what should I be watching for when I start dosing? IS it serious enough to setup a small experimaental tank and dose in it before deciding?
Thanks for your help

maroun.c
09/06/2010, 12:04 PM
Why switch from what you are using and know works to a new source that could harm your system?

Won't be switching unless I make sureit's safe to use.
Still as Mentioned above we don't get reasonably priced Ca here. so I endup going for medical grade costing 65 usd per KG. My daily consumption is around 100 ml per day and growing. add to that supplementing fresh mixed water and a couple of tanks I'm considering setting up in the coming months and my consumption jumps to double this value. so the new Ca I found sells for 17 USd for 25 KG so it's cheap enough to justify going for a dosing pump instead of a Ca reactor.

HighlandReefer
09/06/2010, 12:22 PM
FWIW, the primary concerns are high levels of ammonia (due to some manufacturing procedures) and the heavy metals like copper, lead, zinc, mercury, silver and a few others listed in Randy's tests.

Food grades have restrictions on all of the above levels which is good and Randy has stated that food grade is fine. The Dow Fakes are not food grade, they are commercial grade which does not have restrictions.

Your salt mixes may use food grade, but most likely they use industrial grade. They certainly don't use the scientific grades which place the highest restrictions regarding contaminates. The scientific grades would be best but as you have noticed are just too expensive. ;)

It is my understanding that food grade needs to have testing completed to meet requirements, but not to the extent that scientific grades do. Industrial grades are not tested.

HighlandReefer
09/06/2010, 12:57 PM
FWIW, the machine randy used to test the heavy metals of Dow Flakes cost over $50,000. We are talking equipment that needs to read down to 1 ppb once added to pure water. The natural level of copper in seawater is about 0.7 ppb for example.

maroun.c
09/06/2010, 01:22 PM
Wow that's expensive...
Will try to check with local labs and hospitals to see if they can run those tests, just to be sure...
If not then might just experiment in a frag tank to see the effects...
Thanks.

HighlandReefer
09/06/2010, 01:23 PM
If you have not read this article it has lots of good information:

Purity of Calcium Chloride
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2004/chem.htm

maroun.c
09/07/2010, 04:02 AM
Thanks for the link

HighlandReefer
09/07/2010, 08:17 AM
Your welcome. ;)

maroun.c
09/11/2010, 06:28 AM
Will be swending a sample of this Ca for testing. A couple of labs are able to test for things like copper, silicates, phosphates and nitrates nitrites...
Would you advise to send a mix of this Ca in RODI water or should I send it in saltwater? I'm presuming RODI with only Ca should be a more accurate test right?
In this case how much Ca concentration would advise to put in the water before sending it for testing?
Would appreciate if you could indicate the tests one should do to be on the safe side before experimenting with the tank?
I calculated asvings of around 7-800 usd per year going with this ca and even more with the ever growing daily consumtion so spending a bit on testing is not an issue...
Thanks for any suggestions on how and what to test.

HighlandReefer
09/11/2010, 08:46 AM
I would mix the solution in distilled water unless you trust your rodi water.

If you mix it in salt water mix, the heavy metals in all salt mixes are quite high and may contain a bit of ammonia. ;)

HighlandReefer
09/11/2010, 08:52 AM
Personally, I would test for the primary concerns:

ammonia (due to some manufacturing procedures) and the heavy metals like copper, lead, zinc, mercury & silver.

If you want to limit your tests, I would test for ammonia and copper.

HighlandReefer
09/11/2010, 08:56 AM
Oops, I forgot, I would test for Bromide as well. ;)

maroun.c
09/11/2010, 09:12 AM
Thanks.
We'll see if they can test for these.

HighlandReefer
09/11/2010, 09:19 AM
If you decide to test for bromide see Randy's link on how this test should be completed properly.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1527547

bertoni
09/11/2010, 09:30 PM
I would send them the dry powder and tell them what it is. They should be able to mix it as needed.

maroun.c
12/15/2010, 12:31 PM
Ended up sending a sample for testing. Had to send a liquid form as traveling with white powder is not a nice idea.
so mixed the Ca with water at the same ratio as Randys 2 part. 500g of Ca with water for total volume of 1 G and these are the results.
Based on below results and the above one would you advise to use it?

PH at 25degress 7.69
Electrical conductivity ms/cm 146.3
Nitrate Test method HACH/8039/05 0.05 mg/L
Copper Test Method APHA 3111B 0.49mg /L
Zinc ----------------------------0.096mg/L
Potassium ------------------------- 1230 mg/L
Magnesium -------------------------14.3 mg/L
Calcium -----------------------------46000 mg/L
I'm mostly worried about Copper level which looks to be high?
any idea if I dose lets say 150 ml daily in a 150 G tank if this will accumulate to dangerous levels? or if this is close to Copper concentration of Part A sold?

How about the Ca concentration do you think this is close to what I should be getting based on randy's mixing proportions?
will the existing 14.3 lead to an overdose of MAgnesium or is it balanced or inferior to the Ca content?
Thanks for your help on this.

bertoni
12/15/2010, 03:18 PM
Actually, that looks fine to me. The copper level is low enough, IMO. You'll only be adding a tiny amount per day. We'll see what others have to say.