PDA

View Full Version : DIY Stand Advice

Deester
09/06/2010, 06:26 PM
Hello,

I am new to DIY and will be trying my hand at building my own tank stand using the below design (courtesy of RocketScientist) from this thread -

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1567110

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c225/upski30/Dee%204ft%20Reef/148629DIY_Stand_Template.jpg

My intended stand will be 48w x 36d x 40h. I will be using 2x6s for the top frame and will use 2x4s for the rest of the frame, as per the instructions listed in the thread above.

Having read most of the thread I understand the principles involved, but being new to DIY I have a couple of structual questions before commencing -

Q #1 - Due to the additional depth (front to back) of the stand, do I need to add any further support legs along the 36inch depth section (yellow and blue in the diagram) ?

Q #2 - Should I use a piece of plywood to sit the tank on attached to the top frame as the tank will be all glass, I will also be using styro foam too ?

I will be skinning the stand to add the additional strength once finished and will also be using ply as a floor for sump and equipment above the bottom frame.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Being new to DIY I would prefer to be safe than sorry.

Many thanks,

Dee :beer:

Edit - Forgot to mention the tank will be a 48w x 36d x 18h - 130g :)

on the spot
09/06/2010, 06:49 PM
#1 - no. The 4 corners will be sufficient.

#2 - it's difficult to answer that without more information about your tank. Here in the states some tanks need full support, some not.

The tank size sounds great though. What do you plan to keep?

Deester
09/06/2010, 07:08 PM
#1 - no. The 4 corners will be sufficient.

#2 - it's difficult to answer that without more information about your tank. Here in the states some tanks need full support, some not.

Hello On The Spot :wave:

Thank you for your reply,

Here is a rough sketch of what the intended design for the tank is. It will have 2inch Eurobrace all around with external weir. 10mm -12mm Starphire glass, the tank will be completely glass.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c225/upski30/Dee%204ft%20Reef/48x36x18inches.jpg

The tank size sounds great though. What do you plan to keep?

This tank will be a full SPS set up with the intended fish list of -

10 Dispar Anthias
1 Regal Angel
1 Pair of Royal Gramma's
And possibly a Purple Tang

Here's a pic of my previous 36x24x16 Rimless setup prior to pulling it down before moving. The new tank will pretty much well be an extended version of that :)

http://masa.asn.au/masa/images/stories/featuretanks/201003/1%20march%2010.jpg

Cheers,

Dee.

Deester
09/06/2010, 10:59 PM
Duhhhh .... Forgot to ask if the ply board top would be needed with the above tank design ... Sorry.:crazy1:

Cheers,

Dee. :)

Deester
09/08/2010, 04:51 PM
Hi guys :)

Any advice on whether the ply on top of the top frame for an all glass tank is needed would be greatly appreciated. Hoping to get started on the stand shortly.

Many thanks,

Dee.

Alaukik
09/08/2010, 11:17 PM
i was wondering why no one is replying...

"Any advice on whether the ply on top of the top frame for an all glass tank is needed would be greatly appreciated. Hoping to get started on the stand shortly."

No for a glass tank you need to support only on four sides. but putting ply will help you put the styro foam and level your tank just in case if the stand or the ground level is not very even.

As for the table design.. your table is more than safe... if you want to check you can make some simple calculations. just one thing... the corners in the table length might require a angle support.

don't worry abut the table and go on.

meco65
09/08/2010, 11:46 PM
I have a stand like this for my 75 Gal, I did put 5/8 plywood on top of the stand to make it easier to shim the tank.
This way if you use plywood you can make sure the tank is flush on the plywood so no undo stress on the tank.

Deester
09/09/2010, 10:28 PM
Hi guys,

Thank you for your input and advice, most appreciated.

Here's hoping I can make a half decent cabinet :crazy1:

All the best,

Dee.