PDA

View Full Version : Quick exploratory questions on seahorses

kyley
09/07/2010, 10:06 AM
Hi All,
I'm looking at getting a fuge setup for my 65 gallon reef tank. The fuge will be 17 gallons. I'm wondering if I might be able to keep seahorses in this refugium (regular or dwarf)? It may not be possible - I just don't know enough about them yet. Please let me know what you think and and I'll look at other options if seahorses won't work (maybe a mantis shrimp):

1. I can maintain my tank at 80 or 81 degrees - it looks like this may be too hot for seahorses - is that correct?
2. I'll be keeping pods in the fuge as a food source for my fish - will that work as a food source for the seahorses?
3. Pods are expected to flow out of the fuge through pipes at the top of the fuge. Would I need to worry about seahorses getting sucked up against the pipes?
4. I'm not sure yet how much flow there will be in / out of the fuge. How do I know how much is too much?

Thanks!
--Kyle

tanan
09/07/2010, 12:54 PM
1> 80-81 they ll survive but more chances the gas/bubble belly problem.
2> Yes but you need to treat them like you treat your fishes not like a hermit crab.
3 > Yes
4> Anything other then a gentle wave is too much IMO.

rayjay
09/07/2010, 01:05 PM
Biggest causes of seahorse keeping failures are bacteria (like vibriosis) and parasitic pathogens.
Bacteria is always present but at temperatures above 74°F it can multiply exponentially to levels that affect seahorses even though other fish may not succumb to it.
Pathogens that seahorses haven't been exposed to while being raised can also cause their demise. The pathogens come from other tank mates.

It will be near impossible to raise pods in a refugium with seahorses in it as they will hunt down and decimate the population of pods.

A seahorse tank can have areas of low, medium and high flow as long as there is hitching available in each area. The horses will chose where they wish to be at any given time.
I have some horses that often "play" in the high flow area, but most of my seahorses use the medium flow and low flow areas.
MY THOUGHTS ON SEAHORSE KEEPING (http://www.angelfire.com/ab/rayjay/seahorsekeeping.html)

kyley
09/07/2010, 01:54 PM
Thanks all, that's what I needed to hear. I have a little trouble with temps, so 80-81 sounds a little too risky. Based on temp alone, I think I'll hold off on these guys unless I get a dedicated tank at some point. I'll look for other options for fuge inhabitants - likely a mantis. Thanks,
--Kyle