PDA

View Full Version : Quad/ATV motor help

logan 12
09/07/2010, 05:26 PM
I have a Kawasaki KFX 400 that is in need of some fixing. The problem has not fully been diagnosed and to do this I am going to have to tear into the engine of the quad. I have no experience with motors but try to do most of the work on my quad myself. This problem though is above my capabilities. I do not have the funds to take the quad to the local dealership and have it fixed. There for I am looking for some one who can assist me on the motor or work on the quad themselves. I need someone who knows what the heck they are doing.

Thanks Logan

jtrasap
09/07/2010, 06:09 PM
There really isn't a whole lot to them. I've torn down an rebuilt quite a few. What exactly is the problem with it?

logan 12
09/07/2010, 06:40 PM
The main problem is that I put too much oil in the quad. It was then taken into the river, I got a little wild and thought that I may have gotten some water in the oil. So I ended up parking the quad and changing the oil the next day (putting the correct amount in). The oil didn't appear to contain any water. So I decided to take it for a spin. It took awhile to start the quad, then after riding for about 3 minutes the quad became very hot and shut down. It continues to do this. The fan does run as normal but will not run when the motor gets hot. There is coolant in the quad. From what I read and have been told the engine seals are most likely all bad. For the over heating not sure what is causing that, don’t know if bad seals can do this, if not then something else in the engine has been damaged.

jtrasap
09/07/2010, 07:01 PM
What year is it? 04 and earlier had some water pump issues. Could just be coincidence that yours crapped out now. Kinda weird that the fan doesn't run when it's hot. Did you check your coolant? Could be getting oil in it, or losing it all together out the exhaust. If it was good and hot when you ran it in the river you could have caused some pretty major problems, although, I've done it before having some stupid drunken fun...8-)

logan 12
09/07/2010, 07:18 PM
Yep coolant is full. I always top it off before riding it. It is a 2003. How would I check if the water pump is working??? I thought the fan thing was weired. It was running then it just shuts off, like it normally does despite the engine being hot. The oil also heats up along with the motor. Not sure if it was hot seemed to be fine. I did ride it two weeks before with too much oil in it, only a bit much though. I didnt know that u had to warm up the motor then check the oil. So I added a bit. Then the last time I rode it I added a bit more and then it started to heat up.

jtrasap
09/07/2010, 07:53 PM
Call your local Kaw shop and mention that you have an 03 KFX 400 that's overheating. It's been a few years but my buddy got his LTZ clutch/water pump cover upgraded to the later one for free, all covered by Suzuki because it was a design defect. The Kaw KFX400 is the exact same bike and I'm pretty sure Kawasaki was replacing them for free as well. Also, if they'll replace it, have them replace the seal while they're in there. It shouldn't cost you much if anything extra since they will already have the covers off.

Also, If you're having to top off our coolant each time you ride, you must be losing it somewhere. Was the oil milky? it may have coolant leaking in and that would explain why it was so full and the bike is overheating.

logan 12
09/07/2010, 08:41 PM
No, oil was not milky at all. It always losses collant, have to fill the overflow unit on the side every time I ride it. Has done it since I purchased it. Not sure on replacing just the cover, my local shop is a big rip off. They charge crazy prices for parts along with the $80 an hour.

logan 12
09/07/2010, 09:38 PM
I wll still try and call them, and see about replacing it. Is there anyway to check and see if the water pump is working. Would I just have to check the coolant and see if it is warm after running the quad for a bit.

jtrasap
09/08/2010, 06:55 AM
If the oil wasn't milky and has kept it's level since you correctly filled it, I wouldn't worry a whole lot about the oil issue.

The fact that it's losing coolant is a concern though. It could have a blown head gasket or cracked head and losing the coolant out the exhaust. Does it blow any white smoke, or does the exhaust smell sweet?

I would open up the cooling system and make sure it's all clear. It's not a real hard job. Start by draining the radiator and motor oil (if it's fairly fresh you can save it and reuse it), take off the coolant lines, take off the clutch cover (gently so you can re-use the gasket), then take off the water pump cover. Once in there, clean out any gunk that may be blocking things up. Take a garden hose and try to flush whatever you can out of the radiator and also make sure the hoses are good and clear. While you're in there you could also take a look at the pump shaft seal and make sure it's in good shape. It may sound like a lot of work and kinda scary, but once you do it you'll find that there's really nothing to it. There really isn't a whole lot to the motor. You could also try and google around for a downloadable service manual if you don't already have one. If you can't find one for the KFX, search for an LTZ400 manual, it's the same thing, different plastic. I think there's even an Arctic Cat version of it but don't remember the model #.

keto
09/08/2010, 01:30 PM
Good advice, I would start there... sounds more like a cooling issue then anything..

logan 12
09/08/2010, 06:56 PM
Yep sounds good jason. I will try and give it a go this weekend. Not too scared to rip into the quad. :) I am going to also pm you.

jtrasap
09/08/2010, 07:48 PM
Yep sounds good jason. I will try and give it a go this weekend. Not too scared to rip into the quad. :) I am going to also pm you.

Sounds like a plan....:thumbsup:

mangobusa83
09/08/2010, 08:40 PM
If your water pump is going out then it would explain your coolant loss due to the weep hole in the pump... I could prolly find the manual if you cant seem to find it... as for the oil I believe that is a seperate issue...crank case pressure and some guys who ride quads and stunt quads always go a little heavy on the oil because when they rock it back on the 2 wheels the oil pickup (depending on the design) doesnt grab a full tube of oil... complicated it sounds like but not really... start narrowing down any leaks or check for the smoke as previously stated....one or the other.. coolant cant disappear too easily

jtrasap
09/09/2010, 06:44 AM
Another thing I just thought of is; being this happened after running it in the river, it could be an electrical issue. It could be that the fan switch is goofing up and shutting it off when it should be running, or the temp light could be getting a false signal.

Was coolant boiling into the overflow?

Also, as mango mentioned, it could be losing coolant out the weep hole. With the fact that you've been having to add coolant, it's pretty possible that there may just be an air bubble in the system goofing up coolant flow, which could also mess with the readings for either of the switches.

logan 12
09/09/2010, 09:31 AM
Well I am a quad stunter, ride wheelies all the time. I don't think coolant was boiling out of the overflow. Not sure tho. I am just going to go through the entire cooling system.

jtrasap
09/09/2010, 09:44 AM
I found some breakdowns for everything right here--->http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model_years/2235-kawasaki-2003-kfx400-KSF400-A1/assemblies/50705#

logan 12
09/09/2010, 02:38 PM
WOW, thanks for finding that for me. That will be a big help.

logan 12
09/12/2010, 08:21 PM
Quick update for those who are Interested.

Ended up finding a leak in the pump where the coolant was leaking it should now be fixed. With fear that an air bubble may be the cause of the over heating the coolant was drained out and replaced with new. No luck though. It looks like one or either switch is not functioning since the fan never came on while riding the quad for a bit. So new switches are being ordered. Hopefully this is the fix. I wanna ride. :)

fragboy94
09/12/2010, 10:20 PM
I wanna ride. :)

haaa honda's legendary phrase i think

logan 12
09/17/2010, 11:37 PM
Doesn't look like the cooling system the problem at this point. Fan should kick on around 220 degrees the only problem is I can not keep the quad running to get the temp up in order to see if the fam kicks on. The fear that I have motor problems is back in me. Looks like the only option is to have the local shop look at it and tell me the problem and cost. So keep ur eyes pealed I may have some coral for sale to pay to fix my quad.

jtrasap
09/21/2010, 06:41 AM
You said previously that it was getting very hot and then shutting down but now it's not running long enough to heat up. Does it run right at all? If so, for how long and does it run smoothly while it runs? If it runs for a bit and then starts missing and eventually just dies, the next thing I'd look at is spark starting at the plugs and working my way back. It could be a plug, wire, or coil breaking down. Any of them will cause it to die once it gets hot, and will gradually get worse as it weakens. I'd also check all electrical connections and make sure they are dry and clean. Beyond that, it could be a top end issue. Valve adjustment maybe? If it's not knocking, no coolant in the oil or vice-versa, no sweet smelling exhaust or white smoke. It just seems like it's probably not something internal. Could also be a fuel delivery issue but the way it started out as running until it gets hot and then shutting down, sounds like plug, wire, coil issues.

logan 12
09/21/2010, 10:12 AM
Ya at this point the list is just getting to long for me to deal with. I thought I would have them look at it. I just don't have the time to go home everyweekend and mess with my quad, if it was summer time I would be down to go through the quad myself. I think it is something simple like u mentioned above. Plug, carb, ect. I just rather pay the $80 bucks figure out the problem and fix it. But thanks again for the help.

jtrasap
09/21/2010, 11:12 AM
Ya at this point the list is just getting to long for me to deal with. I thought I would have them look at it. I just don't have the time to go home everyweekend and mess with my quad, if it was summer time I would be down to go through the quad myself. I think it is something simple like u mentioned above. Plug, carb, ect. I just rather pay the $80 bucks figure out the problem and fix it. But thanks again for the help.

No problem, that's understandable. Maybe you'll get lucky and it will turn out to be something simple. $80/hr can add up pretty fast....

logan 12
09/21/2010, 01:05 PM
Well I am going to retrack my previous statement and try to change the spark plug to see if that’s the issue. I got a chance to ride my cousins quad this weekend a z400 the same quad different plastic. It seemed to me that his quad was just getting as hot as mine was. The oil tank was extremely hot like when I thought mine was overheating. Still not sure if the fan works but after riding his I think my problems either are really simple or very complex. Hoping for simple like the plug. Now I just got to see if my dad is willing to change out the plug for me so I can see what the next step is. May cancel the appointment to see if it’s the plug and clean the carb this weekend.

jtrasap
09/21/2010, 02:12 PM
Well I am going to retrack my previous statement and try to change the spark plug to see if that’s the issue. I got a chance to ride my cousins quad this weekend a z400 the same quad different plastic. It seemed to me that his quad was just getting as hot as mine was. The oil tank was extremely hot like when I thought mine was overheating. Still not sure if the fan works but after riding his I think my problems either are really simple or very complex. Hoping for simple like the plug. Now I just got to see if my dad is willing to change out the plug for me so I can see what the next step is. May cancel the appointment to see if it’s the plug and clean the carb this weekend.

Good luck Logan. You might as well have him change the plug wire while he's at it. If that doesn't fix it, my next guess would be the coil, but I'm not there to here it run. Does it run good for just a little while and then start missing and die? If so, any of the three (plug, wire or coil) will do that.

logan 12
09/21/2010, 05:09 PM
Okay now I feel like a *******, guess you’ll have that every now and again. As of now the quad is fixed and running correctly. The problem was the sparkplug, well along with a bad seal for the coolant pump. I guess I should have thought of that after running the quad through that much water then it not wanting to run correctly.

jtrasap
09/21/2010, 05:17 PM
Okay now I feel like a *******, guess you’ll have that every now and again. As of now the quad is fixed and running correctly. The problem was the sparkplug, well along with a bad seal for the coolant pump. I guess I should have thought of that after running the quad through that much water then it not wanting to run correctly.

LOL.....we all have our moments. Glad it's going again....:D

logan 12
09/21/2010, 05:27 PM
Me too.

Sloeber
09/21/2010, 10:11 PM
A bad sparkplug was the problem? Haha....

logan 12
09/26/2010, 09:35 PM
Well, looks like I spoke too soon although I wasn't there for the test ride. The quad is still having issues. Can ride it for a bit then well it stops running. From what I can tell it is getting to much fuel and dies. It runs good for a few minutes then when I go to press the throttle it won’t go and stutters to start. Some times it dies completely. When starting it back up it usually back fires bad and usually decides not start again.

keto
09/26/2010, 10:19 PM
May have some crap on the needle and may not be seating right , may try to have the carb cleaned or is this an efi ...

jtrasap
09/26/2010, 10:22 PM
I bet it's your coil. If it's getting week it will do just that. The plug will have good spark until the coil gets hot. Then, when you try to restart it, the coil may have enough juice to fire once or twice and the extra unburnt fuel in the combustion chamber will cause it to backfire. If it runs great for just a bit and then starts acting up, I almost bet it's the coil. I'd change the plug wire as well just to cover all bases.

To check it, you could run it until it starts acting up, then pull the plug and crank the motor over a few times. I bet it will spark good once or twice and then get weaker or quit sparking all together.

syrinx
09/26/2010, 10:35 PM
+1 on coil

keto
09/27/2010, 07:15 PM
+2 thought the coil, I thought had been covered already...

logan 12
09/27/2010, 07:28 PM
Once again thanks for the help guy's. I just ordered a new coil, hopefully this is the final fix although I do need a new clutch.

jtrasap
09/28/2010, 06:26 AM
Be sure and replace the plug wire too.

logan 12
09/28/2010, 09:35 AM
I got the coil wire and boot, comes as one unit.

logan 12
10/01/2010, 09:50 PM
Well that didn't help. Same thing once it gets warmed up a few minutes of riding then let off the wuad dies. It has been starting back up after it dies. Didn't push it tho, also has a strange sound coming from the clutch I think. This is something new didn't hear this before. It seem to also b making a whistle type sound could be because I have the plastic off of the front and just never heard this before. Idk starting to frickn hate this quad.

fragboy94
10/01/2010, 11:32 PM
Sell it and get a new one with no problems

ps3
10/02/2010, 04:39 AM
just stumbled across your thread.did you pull the carb off and clean it after its swim in the river. sounds like float is sticking and also jets could be plugged with junk. also check you air box for water and dirt.majority of the time off road bikes are built to last and its usually something simple. probably would have started with carb before replacing coil though.

ps3
10/02/2010, 04:40 AM
also may want to drain gas and fill with fresh

logan 12
10/02/2010, 11:58 AM
It did have water in airbox, dried it out right after the swim. The help so far has been in the right direction. The sparkplug got the quad running and the coil seemed to help a bit as it so far fires back up after it dies. So I guess the next step is a carb kit. Everyone agree? I'm going to also take a look at the clutch iv needed one for awhile.

jtrasap
10/02/2010, 04:37 PM
It's worth a try. It could be gunked up. The float could be stuck. It may not necessarily need a rebuild, just pull it off, take off the bowl and soak everything in carb cleaner overnight.

How long does it run before it dies? If the float's stuck, or needle is dirty, it could be loading up on fuel and flooding out.

logan 12
10/02/2010, 05:55 PM
First off all I need a new clutch, thing is slipping bad explains the sound from the clutch cover. This means I'll be selling some frags to pay for it. Lol.

Next, So I road it for a bit and after awhile of riding when I stop it just dies. I think I'll go ahead and soak the carbon. If it works then it will save me like $40. So it is deffintly worth giving and try.

logan 12
10/08/2010, 11:34 PM
Got the new clutch in today, it wad an easy install. But same problems still with it dieing after a few minutes of ride time. Next is cleaning the carb. Not sure when ill get to that.

johnike
10/09/2010, 09:06 AM
http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p361/john_eichwedel/001-8.jpg Take the carb apart, get a kit, blow air through all passages and a couple cans of carb clean:thumbsup:er. Go fix her!

logan 12
10/09/2010, 04:30 PM
Dang, have not come back with anything that brutal yet. Did run over a telephone pole that was laying on the ground while riding a wheelie. Took the handbars to the stomach. (at night) had to sleep on my back for two weeks.

johnike
10/09/2010, 04:46 PM
Yes, that's a handlebar whack! I live in a very rural area, and ride with my dogs daily. I was riding the left side of the road between my lane and the creek bridge when some [expletive deleted] came flying down the road at a bazillion miles an hour. I looked over my right shoulder to check on the dogs, and went into the left ditch. Ouch! Found my glasses two days later. Got yours straightened out yet, I have some great timber riding up here in Bureau County.

logan 12
10/09/2010, 05:57 PM
Nope havent got to the carb yet, spend the day hooking up a new tank and tying it in to my dispaly sytem. Hopefully soon, would love to go riding somewhere.

logan 12
10/10/2010, 01:49 PM
K, tried to take carb off today. Dont know how to get the throttle assembly off or the choke off to free the carb from the quad. Any ideas?

johnike
10/10/2010, 03:16 PM
K, tried to take carb off today. Dont know how to get the throttle assembly off or the choke off to free the carb from the quad. Any ideas?

Usually plastic clips on the end. Careful with them. What kink of machine? I'll figger' it out for 'ya.

johnike
10/10/2010, 03:17 PM
Hey, if this was the lounge I could have claimed a page 3!

logan 12
10/10/2010, 04:33 PM
2003 Kawasaki kfx 400.

johnike
10/10/2010, 04:48 PM
I'll looky more later, I got a full house tonight for bonfire/fishfry/beer night. I'll get back yo you.

logan 12
10/13/2010, 07:54 PM
Anyone, I can stop by the local shop here in charleston I'm sure they know.

jtrasap
10/15/2010, 06:09 AM
Hey Logan, on that one I think it's easier to just take them off up top and leave the cables hanging. As far as taking the cables loose from the carb, I believe there are three screws and a cover you have to take off to get the throttle cable out and I can't quite remember on the choke. I'll google around and see if I can find something to jog my memory.

logan 12
10/15/2010, 09:29 AM
Cool.

logan 12
10/28/2010, 12:18 PM
So a little update on the quad action.

I purchased a carb rebuild kit and ended up replacing as much as possible although the carb did not seem to be that dirty. Also cleaned the carb very well. Put it all back together and went for a test ride.

As of right know the quad starts right up, when ridding it almost every time I pulled in the clutch well at least 70% of the time the quad dies. If I press the throttle revving it up and down it won’t die. Then around 5 minutes into the ride, all hell breaks loose. The quad dies. Then every time I try and start it the quad backfires and won’t run. Eventually I can get it started back up to park it, but its still acting up.

jtrasap
10/28/2010, 09:39 PM
Still sounds like spark issues, or it's loading up on fuel. Did you take the carb apart and soak it in carb cleaner? best to do it at least overnight. Have you made any other changes to the quad? Exhaust?, jets?....anything?

logan 12
11/05/2010, 05:06 PM
Jason
To answer ur question no change everything stock. Cleaned the carb did not soak it. Don't think I could soak it because of the throttle linkage and whatever else was attached to the carb.

Anyways just wanted to thank everyone for their help with special thanks to Jason. It getting cold outside and with the semester winding down I am running out of time to fix the quad before the snow starts. So it going to the shop. Something I have been trying to avoid. Just hope I don't have to sell a tank to pay for it.

logan 12
11/11/2010, 10:47 PM
Okay, looks like I am back in the game, will find out for sure tomorrow. Good news I did not waste my time on the fixes that I did. The bad news is not that bad, just cost. The fix was the choke was sticking in the carb, which my dad pointed out but I was not about to pull on something that I did not know if it was supposed to come out or not. So that got replaced and a new air filter. Apparently the motor was blowing the air filter back. Something else with a bad line somewhere ordered a new one so that’s on its way. Keeping my fingures crossed and going to do a little ridding tomorrow to see if everything is fixed. Supposed to be a nice day 72 or some crazy temp.

logan 12
11/11/2010, 10:49 PM
<- <- <- <- Oh notice the new avatar. For Good Luck :)

fragboy94
11/11/2010, 11:00 PM
Come on man u gotta have matching rimz. lol

logan 12
11/11/2010, 11:18 PM
Fill free to buy me front rims and tires. Quad tires are double beaded on the rim, there for you have to cut the tire off to put a new tire on the rim. Causing me to half to buy both rims and tires. I think a front set is around $400 to $500 bucks for rims and tires.......... so fill free. :)