PDA

View Full Version : Reef Additives.. which ones are best?

ramtmac
09/07/2010, 05:57 PM
I have read different things about all of these, but I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on to which is the most effective and efficient?
Seachem Reef Plus
Kent Coral-Vite

I have a goniopora and am looking for a type of supplement to add to my tank to provide it with the nutrients/vitamins necessary to keep it alive.

Should I go with an "all in one" product, or stick to strictly an iodide, potassium, calcium, and Mg additives?

Any suggestions or comments are helpful!
Thanks

bertoni
09/07/2010, 06:23 PM
I wouldn't add products that have a mix of trace elements, as it's not clear our tanks need them, and there's no way to control the dosing of the individual elements. That coral might due well with a lot of direct feeding, although they have the reputation of being difficult. As far as general additives, calcium and alkalinity are the basics, with magnesium being required by some tanks. I would look into dietary requirements of Goniopora, rather than additives.

thebanker
09/07/2010, 06:52 PM
I've heard tall tales of someone locally in CA actually propagating Goniopora. At this point, they're nothing more than stories.

Is there anyone on the forum who is the definitive expert on Goniopora?

reef_doug
09/07/2010, 06:55 PM
Check out the Non-Photosynthetic Coral forum here:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=555

Agree with Jonathon that diet is probably the key to keeping these. Maybe check out Oyster Feast from Reef Nutrition.

thebanker
09/07/2010, 06:59 PM
Are Goni's considered non-photosynthetic? It thought they were partially photosynthetic, part heterotrophic?

Fishamatank
09/07/2010, 07:12 PM
While I am far from an expert on this coral (or anything in this hobby for that matter) I can say that a Goni is certainly photosynthetic. I've had a green one for about a year and have not fed it in over 6 months.

jimmyj7090
09/07/2010, 08:20 PM
Article on Gonipora
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/nftt/index.php

Aquarist007
09/07/2010, 09:57 PM
While I am far from an expert on this coral (or anything in this hobby for that matter) I can say that a Goni is certainly photosynthetic. I've had a green one for about a year and have not fed it in over 6 months.

I agree, however I do have two refugiums that feed the display tank.

ramtmac
09/08/2010, 12:52 AM
Ohok. I was just wondering about the additives. Thanks or all the info!!

bertoni
09/08/2010, 01:45 PM
You're welcome!

I agree that Goniopora is photosynthetic, and certainly some people have luck with a Goniopora and can reproduce them. Most people don't do very well.

wickedfish
09/08/2010, 09:24 PM
I had a large one in three different set ups and it liked it dirty and mid level light. By dirty I mean food was readily available in the water column, In the second setup more light more flow not so good extension, and in the 3rd setup poor lighting, and poor flow made it wither away. It liked the oyster feast spot fed it the first 2 months 1 a week.