PDA

View Full Version : Can you use GFO in fluval? (To cure GHA)

Alysiak00
09/07/2010, 06:22 PM
i have a fluval canister on my 45 and theres a couple of splotches of GHA. They seem to be dieing off slightly but i thought id give them a swift kick the rear by hitting them with a GFO treatment. I put new carbon in to help a little and did a water change but was looking for some more info. TIA

scubasteve06
09/07/2010, 06:34 PM
Do you change the filter media weekly on the canister or at least rinse it weekly? If not then this is likely the source of your GHA. They become Nitrate and phosphate traps. I ran one the first two months of having my tank and the first time (a month later) that I changed the media I understood why everyone says don't use a canister filter on a marine tank. There was sand, food, gunk, plankton, pods all kinds of gunk that was clogged up in there worse than I had ever seen it clogged before. Even worse than leaving it unattented on my Cichlid tank for 6 months, it looked worse after 1 month on a marine tank. Can it work...yes if your willing to clean it out weekly. And thats every week. You can put GFO in a canister yes to answer your question and it might work if you stay completely on top of water changes weekly and media. That being said I also remember the plastic parts corroding and sticking together after a month of having salt ran through it and I broke the handle that allows the pump and impeller section to be lifted off and removed rendering it useless. These things just aren't built for saltwater.

SMT6h
09/07/2010, 06:44 PM
yes you can, just change it quickly...like SS says above. I use a Canister on my tank. I really like the ability to run Chemipure, carbon, and nitrate and phosphate adsorbers in there, high flow rate and also the added bonus of extra current in the tank. BUT, like SS says...let it go too long and you will have an additional nutrient source.

Alysiak00
09/07/2010, 07:45 PM
yes you can, just change it quickly...like SS says above. I use a Canister on my tank. I really like the ability to run Chemipure, carbon, and nitrate and phosphate adsorbers in there, high flow rate and also the added bonus of extra current in the tank. BUT, like SS says...let it go too long and you will have an additional nutrient source.

what all do you run in your canister and how much. also the gfo needs a pouch right

Palting
09/07/2010, 08:53 PM
I have a fluval 405 on my 110, and, no, I would not run GFO in it.

I use chemipure ELITE to help take out phosphates and silicates. In fact, I have replaced all the carbon trays with chemipure Elite. I rinse the prefilters in tap water weekly with the water changes and wring dry, annd rinse the biomedia in tank water discard monthly. No gunk, no junk in mine.

GFO needs a reactor to properly work. I have one for my 150.

Tony78
09/07/2010, 09:20 PM
I have a fluval 405 on my 110, and, no, I would not run GFO in it.

I use chemipure ELITE to help take out phosphates and silicates. In fact, I have replaced all the carbon trays with chemipure Elite. I rinse the prefilters in tap water weekly with the water changes and wring dry, annd rinse the biomedia in tank water discard monthly. No gunk, no junk in mine.

GFO needs a reactor to properly work. I have one for my 150.

Isn't the difference between chemipure and chemipure elite the fact that the elite contains ferric iron oxide? I thought chemipure is activated carbon and the elite is a blend of activated carbon and GFO.

SMT6h
09/08/2010, 06:07 AM
I think Tony78 is correct.
Ferric oxide does better in a reactor, but for many years we have used it in other forms: bag in sump, overflow, buried in gravel, etc.

I will say that the Chemi Pure Elite is great stuff, consider using it.

Palting
09/08/2010, 06:20 AM
Yes, Elite adds the ferric oxide to their bag for the phosphates and silicates. It's a little diffferent than putting pure GFO in a bag and putting it in your cannister. IMO, if you are going to use a cannister, use the Elite or simillar product. If you are going to use pure GFO, use a reactor.

SMT6h
09/08/2010, 06:28 AM
Palting it correct, best to do it in a reactor.

Chemi Elite will do wonders though in that canister. What is your current PO4 level?

Sugar Magnolia
09/08/2010, 08:19 AM
FWIW, I've been running GFO in canisters and HOB filters for years. A reactor will tumble it and it will be a much more efficient way of running GFO, but it CAN be used in a cansiter or HOB filter.

ir_danno22
09/08/2010, 08:41 AM
you can always remove the foam sponges and bio media/pre-filters and just run the bagged media in the trays. it should work the same as a reactor.

Lynnmw1208
09/08/2010, 09:02 AM
you can always remove the foam sponges and bio media/pre-filters and just run the bagged media in the trays. it should work the same as a reactor.

I was just going to ask this question! You read my mind. :eek2:

The tank I'm getting has a canister filter that comes with it since it was ran as freshwater most of it's life. I was thinking that I would like to put it to good use anyway and possibly use it for media only such as carbon and the other fun stuff. Is that seriously ok? This way I won't have to accommodate that sort of thing in my sump and could have a refugium instead. :beer:

ir_danno22
09/08/2010, 10:01 AM
like it was said above, it's not as efficient than a reactor but it's better than the media sitting in the sump since a lot of water flows around the bag if it's over filled. Just thinking, you can always sell the fluval 405 for a few bucks and get yourself a reactor from bulk reef supply which is about half or less the price of the fluval 405, http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/carbon-and-gfo/media-reactors-filter-bags/dual-brs-gfo-and-carbon-reactor.html you just have to get a separate pump for it. the link is for the dual canister for both gfo and carbon.

Lynnmw1208
09/08/2010, 10:46 AM
like it was said above, it's not as efficient than a reactor but it's better than the media sitting in the sump since a lot of water flows around the bag if it's over filled. Just thinking, you can always sell the fluval 405 for a few bucks and get yourself a reactor from bulk reef supply which is about half or less the price of the fluval 405, http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/carbon-and-gfo/media-reactors-filter-bags/dual-brs-gfo-and-carbon-reactor.html you just have to get a separate pump for it. the link is for the dual canister for both gfo and carbon.

i'm not sure if this was directed at me or aly, but for my canister, I'm not sure how old this thing is or what model. I won't find out until we arrange a day for my sister to bring the tank to me :strange: I don't think I'd get much money from it anyway. If the reactor is only $60 I can splurge for that easily. The only thing that would concern me is if I have enough space below the tank to fit this in. what kind of plumbing is used or does it come with? I would probably have to put it outside the sump as I think my protein skimmer will take up a lot of room (still waiting on delivery on that)

What kind of media do you recommend for the reactor?

ir_danno22
09/08/2010, 11:08 AM
sorry about that, thought you were the one with the fluval. i've been using the carbon from bulk reef supply but have read good reviews on their GFO. i'm not sure it comes with lines but it uses 1/2" lines you can easily get at your local hardware store. i'm still thinking about getting one of these so i can run GFO with my carbon but i have very little space to mount it. they do have a single canister version that can run both GFO and carbon if space is an issue.