PDA

View Full Version : Dosing Compatability

drainbamage101
09/08/2010, 08:48 AM
So I have a few tanks, and to dose the needed daily B-ionic, I've set up 7 small cups for each of the parts. Once a week they get filled, in the morning I drop in the calcium, in the evening the alk (part 2 and 1 respectively.) I dilute each quantity (varies by tank) with at least 40mL of RO/DI water in the container.

My question is thus-

I'd like to add in additional dosing additives into the cups, but not sure if any of the additives, in concentrate form (to their varying degrees) will be reactive with any of the other additives, not concerned with what type of reaction, but any reaction will result in the worthlessness of at least two of the chemicals.

So I have two cups, one has B-ionic part 1, the other part 2.

The other additives I'd like to be able to add into the cups are:

Ammino Acids (brightwell)
Iodide (currently Kents, very much need this additive in all my tanks)
Strontium (brightwell)
Magnesium (Tech-M)

and possibly
MB7, Biofuel, Vitamin C, and/or Vodka

Any input on any possible reactions between these would be much appreciated!

Holyreefer
09/08/2010, 12:39 PM
I wouldn't combine an 2
I would think somewhere any 2 of them would counter each other. I wouldn't do it dats just my opionion

bertoni
09/08/2010, 02:25 PM
The magnesium would be okay in the calcium part.

The issue with the amino acids would be keeping them from decaying. They might be okay either of the two-parts, although the high pH in the alkalinity part might be more effective in preserving the amino acids.

I don't dose iodine or strontium anymore, since it's unlikely they're useful:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2003/chem.htm
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2003/chem.htm

They probably will be fine in the calcium part, though.

drainbamage101
09/09/2010, 04:49 PM
thanks guys. I'm going to try the mixture betroni recommended (basically toss stuff in the calcium half) and will probably just add as much water as possible to hopefully prevent reactions.

I will disagree with the article about iodine, though perhaps indirectly. I agree that iodine is a bad suppliment for a reef tank, I used an iodine suppliment by accident (thought it was iodide) and half killed several sps colonies, mostly killed an oregon tort, and caused a massive hair algae bloom.
However, iodide, I've noticed is very important. In my frag tank, I have a very large collection of Zs and Ps, if I've failed to add any iodide recently, or do a water change within a period of time, the Zs and Ps close up, to some or a complete degree. Within 5~15 minutes of adding an iodide suppliment, the polyps open back up quite nicely.
Now if this is due to the polyps absorbing the iodide, or if it's an indirect process with something in the water column or elsewhere utilizing the iodide and then no longer creating a reactive "something" in either a good or bad way (such as no longer producing a toxin, or beginning to produce somethign that the Z's like) I don't know, but either way the positive reaction is simply apparent.

bertoni
09/09/2010, 05:28 PM
Hmm, a lot of people, including me, have grown a lot of zoanthids and other soft corals without iodine, so I suspect something else is happening. I don't think they can take up iodine that rapidly, for example. You might be seeing some sort of interaction with a toxin or something else occurring, like another substance in the supplement. I'd investigate the issue, personally.

drainbamage101
09/09/2010, 09:12 PM
Hmm, a lot of people, including me, have grown a lot of zoanthids and other soft corals without iodine, so I suspect something else is happening. I don't think they can take up iodine that rapidly, for example. You might be seeing some sort of interaction with a toxin or something else occurring, like another substance in the supplement. I'd investigate the issue, personally.

I have, as it occurs in all of my tanks, just most noticeable in my frag tank. I do very infrequent water changes which I'm presuming is why it's so noticeable for me, as I'm not replacing the elements in another way.
As far as taking it up, I agree, it seems a fast time frame, and it's not as though every polyp jumps full open in the 15 mins, but it's noticeable that something is happening and they begin to open to a a full display, whereas previously they had not been. I've been unable to find any other cause/issue to explain the behavior.

bertoni
09/10/2010, 03:31 PM
I haven't always been very good with water changes, either. :) The reaction seems like a feeding response.