PDA

View Full Version : Where to plumb GFO/GAC reactor

Tony78
09/08/2010, 09:37 AM
I have a three section sump setup like this:

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u217/tjalberti/REEF/sump.jpg

There is a valve before the refugium so ~90% of the water flow goes through the filter sock and into the skimmer section.

I have a BRS dual reactor running GFO and GAC. It's currently sucking water from the skimmer section of the sump and returning the water to the same section.

Is there a better way to plumb in the reactor? Should I send the output directly to the return section?

Would love to hear your thoughts or what you have done.

Thanks in advance.

fatdaddy
09/08/2010, 09:41 AM
I used a T off my return pump to run through my reactors. I've also used a small powerhead to run the reactor.

Usually, a PS doesn't have the back pressure to run reactors off of it. There's usually a delicate balance to set the height of the reactor water.

James404
09/08/2010, 09:41 AM
I have mine currently sucking water from the return section via maxijet 1200, I then run the output of the reactor to my skimmer section. I don't think it matters much, just how it worked out for me.

Tony78
09/08/2010, 09:43 AM
I used a T off my return pump to run through my reactors. I've also used a small powerhead to run the reactor.

Usually, a PS doesn't have the back pressure to run reactors off of it. There's usually a delicate balance to set the height of the reactor water.

I should mention that the reactor is driven by a separate MJ1200 pump and not off the skimmer.

Palting
09/08/2010, 09:50 AM
Your current set-up sounds good to me. The only way I can see improving it would be to put the reactor return directly into the return pump section to decrease whatever little amount may be recirculating back to the reactor. Although the reactor return usually doesn't make microbubbles, you can also direct the return into that baffle section. That would be simillar to how I have my reactor set-up. Just make sure the level in the skimmer section remains constant, and you should be good to go.

Tony78
09/08/2010, 03:34 PM
Thanks everyone.