PDA

View Full Version : adding lr

rtenzo02
09/08/2010, 11:52 AM
Can i add cured live rock to my tank that has finished cycling. It is a 75 gallon tank with about 20 to 25 lbs of lr at the moment. I only have a few snails and hermit crabs and 1 damsel right now. Im worried that adding more lr will cause the tank to cycle again. Should i add small amounts like 10 lbs at a time ? The lr i purchase from a lfs sits in a huge saltwater tank with powerheads till its purchased.

Jstdv8
09/08/2010, 12:47 PM
if you add 10 lbs or less at a time and then wait a few days (the longer you wait the less chance you have of a spike) and add a few more pounds.
should be just fine.

thegrun
09/08/2010, 04:04 PM
It is very difficult to tell how cured live rock will be from a LFS. If you could find some from a local reefer breaking down a tank it would be okay to add it all at once. I would go slowly if you are purchasing it from a LFS.

bertoni
09/08/2010, 05:25 PM
I agree that "cured live rock" is a fairly vague term. Also, removing live rock from water can cause a lot of die-off. You might be fine, but I'd have some Amquel or Prime on hand, in case of an ammonia spike.

LaurieC
09/08/2010, 08:44 PM
I'm in the same boat--have a 55G Fowler with 40lbs live rock, live sand, 3 chromis, 6 hermits, 6 turbos, 6 nassarias snails. I want to add 15lb more live rock which I have sitting in a 10G tank with an AquaClear 150 filter and heater (it's my QT, but no fish in it) for the last week. I bought the rock from the LFS which also keeps it in a saltwater tank with airpumps and circulating water. I've tested the water in the 10G and readings are:
SG: 1.025
PH 8.1
A 0
Ni 0-0.2(lowest reading and faint, faint color)
Na 0-10(lowest reading, also a faint, faint color)
Alk 3.5
CA 410

Pretty much the same readings as in my DT. Ok to add all of the LR into DT now?

mike_cmu04
09/08/2010, 09:01 PM
Ask the lfs how long the rock has been there most of the time it is trulely cured rock and if that is the case you can add it as long as you get it in quick and dont let it sit out long. Just prepare a water change in case you have an ammonia spike.

thegrun
09/08/2010, 09:29 PM
One solution is to buy the live rock and store it in a container with a power head and heater for a month. Place a dead raw shrimp in the tank for the bacteria to feed on. Once your ammonia and nitrite levels drop back to zero, it is good to put into the DT. If after two weeks with the shrimp you do not see any ammonia or nitrite spike, it is okay to place in the DT.

bertoni
09/09/2010, 04:49 PM
I would never put a dead shrimp into a tank with good live rock. The ammonia spike will kill a lot of organisms, and there's really no need for that much ammonia. I'd just wait for the initial spike to end, and then feed lightly to keep the rock going. The shrimp method works, though.

If the live rock you're adding has been in saltwater for a week with no ammonia, it's likely safe to add to the display tank.

LaurieC
09/09/2010, 08:39 PM
half the water in the 10G QT came from the DT tank. It's been a week, no ammonia and other parameters stable too. I think I may add the LR to DT this weekend and just keep up with the daily testing of the DT. Shout if this sounds bad. Thanks for the great advice!

meco65
09/09/2010, 08:49 PM
Keep in mind that the shrimp method is intended for a tank with all dead rock, or not cycled rock, to jump start a cycle.