PDA

View Full Version : Bought Used 90: I can't figure out sump setup??

bur01014
09/08/2010, 05:18 PM
I need a little help on how the aquarium I bought sump works. Underneath the tank, he has a 20 gallon on the left and a 15 gallon with overflow raised on the right. The overflow pipe from the main 90 gallon tank, T's and then feeds pvc pipe into both tanks below...both have red restricting valuves...??? He said the smaller tank with overflow is fuge and larger one is sump. Now, what I really don't get is how the water circulation will work? Won't my return pump prevent the refuge tank from filling high enough so that it overflows into the 20 gallon sump? Can someone explain how this setup is probably supposed to work? I am lost....

DougGraham
09/08/2010, 05:36 PM
From what i understand is that most people run about 25% drain water to fuge an 75% goes to the sump drain/skimmer side.. The fuge should drain into the area where your return pump is.. The red valves are more likely ball valves to get the right flow you want into the sump and fuge.. For me a pic of everything under the tank would help alot..

hope that helps
Doug Graham

Chris Atkinson
09/08/2010, 10:50 PM
I agree with Doug. The valves are probably there to balance the flow. My personal preference would be to put 100% of the overflow from the 90 gal display tank into the sump. Then, I'd tee the discharge from the return pump, with ball valves on both outlets of the tee. I'd run most of the flow back to the DT, then split off a small sidestream to feed the fuge...then that will overflow back into the sump.

Good luck!

Chris

bur01014
09/08/2010, 10:57 PM
Thanks guys....that helps a lot!