PDA

View Full Version : Am I going to be happy with a Canon XS?

bridun22ajl
09/09/2010, 07:06 AM
Hey folks.

I have been doing some research on cameras and have read good things about the canon xs but I wanted to get everyone's opinion here before I went ahead with the purchase.

I don't know all the terms and what features to really look for in a camera as this will be my first SLR and I am more of a hands on learner. I have read the stickies in this forum but I'm not going to fully understand everything until I actually have a camera in my hand. Unfortunately there aren't any camera stores near by. (even best buy and walmart didn't have any slrs)

I'm going to be using this camera just for fun and a second hobby. There isn't anything specific that I need this for but I would like to be able to take pictures of my tank, eventually macro shots too. I would like to be able to take nature shots, landscapes, action shots(football games, baseball, cars, cities, my dog running and playing).

I'm not too concerned with the ability to record video. I would like to be able to manually be able to focus lens as well as AF(do all the cameras have both features??). I'm also not going to be printing anything very big. 8x10 the biggest I think.

I mentioned that this is going to be my first SLR but please keep in mind that I'm a fast learner and don't want my first camera to be 'entry level'. I just don't want to get bored with a camera due to lack of possibilities.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_204269_-1
This is the one that I am considering but I am open to suggestions, opinions, and ideas.

Thanks in advance, I can't wait to get started!
-Brian

bridun22ajl
09/09/2010, 07:36 AM
A couple more questions I just thought of.

I was also considering this canon T1i http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_227015_-1 but with the money I save by purchasing the Canon XS I would be able to spend more on lens. So would it be worth it to get the T1i over the XS? Or am I better off with the XS and getting a new lens sooner then later.

One more thing. How important is Live View? and is there a difference between live view and advanced live view?

Thanks again!
Brian

BlueCorn
09/09/2010, 07:38 AM
The XS will take great pictures, just like any other DSLR. My only gripe with it is that Canon really dumbed down the controls on that model making it awkward to use in anything other than automatic modes. That said, if buying the cheaper body allows more money for lenses, it's probably a good decision.

Cheers

bridun22ajl
09/09/2010, 10:23 AM
Beerguy,
Thanks for the response. Care to elaborate on what you said about it being awkward to use anything other then automatic? Where you referring to automatic focus? Or what? And did you mean they make it so you can not manually focus at all or is it just a task to do so?

Thanks again

Brian

BlueCorn
09/09/2010, 10:24 AM
I wasn't talking about focus, I was talking about exposure. Go to the store and handle one. If you're comfortable with it, it's not an issue.

bridun22ajl
09/09/2010, 11:01 AM
Thanks again.

bridun22ajl
09/09/2010, 11:04 AM
Anyone using one of these? How do you like it and what lens are you using?

Also, what are some other things I'm going to need when I purchase the camera? Bag, sd cards I know but will I NEED anything else or is everything else just extras that I will pic up over time.

Recty
09/09/2010, 11:15 AM
Bare minimum you need a camera body, a lens, a battery to power it all, a card to write images to and a computer with software to read/open the images.

If you buy a XS kit, you'll get all of that except the memory card and the computer (but you will get software with the XS).

If you buy just the XS body, you'll have to purchase a lens of your choice.

All other things like bags, tripods, lens filters, external flashes... you dont NEED those, you'll just go buy them when you get to a situation that requires you have it.

bridun22ajl
09/09/2010, 11:28 AM
What about a cleaning kit? Will I need that right away? How often should I be cleaning

Recty
09/09/2010, 12:39 PM
I've never used a cleaning kit, but I'm very careful with my camera. I've had it two years now and havent needed to clean it.

I guess it depends what you mean by cleaning. If you're talking about cleaning the sensor and anything internal in the camera body, I've never done it. As far as lens cleaning goes, I rarely clean mine but I have once or twice, I just use a clean rag and some streak free windex.

Zebodog
09/09/2010, 01:59 PM
Ranked from most important to least important:

1. Photographer skill and knowledge
2. Lens
3. Body

The XS is a great camera and is capable of producing some amazing quality shots; I use one myself.

Grab the XS and kit lens and play around a bit; you'll soon learn what kinds of shots you like to take and begin to look at additional lenses. Paired with the right lens, the XS is capable of doing everything you listed in your first post.

Once you find the XS has reached its limit and can't is holding you back, then look at a body upgrade. By then you'll have a decent collection of lenses as well.

dendronepthya
09/09/2010, 03:23 PM
I agree with everything mentioned to this point. An inexpensive body to learn on is wonderful. Most DSLR bodies these days are far more capable than the novice photographer. When you really know what features you need that your current body isn't giving you, then go ahead and upgrade.

bridun22ajl
09/09/2010, 05:59 PM
Thanks a lot everyone. Its nice to be able to come to a reefing forum and find information about other things too :)

Swimwiththefish
09/10/2010, 08:10 AM
I would look at the XSI its a just a couple bucks more and worth it in my opinion. otherwise check out bandhphoto.com

Rhizo
09/17/2010, 10:44 AM
If you are going Canon, consider something like a used 20D. Just the other day I saw a mint very clean body for $250. After a while you get tired of holding the tiny Rebel, at least I did.

dendronepthya
09/17/2010, 11:17 AM
A used 20D is a great idea (or any old DSLR for that matter). You need something to learn on and those old cameras will be way ahead of your ability for a good long time. I used a Canon 300D for years before upgrading to a 5Dmk2. These days you can probably get a 300D for $150.

Invest in your lenses and go with the most cost-effective body you can to experiment with. Once you figure out some features you just need to have, then invest in a more capable body. The vast majority of photographers do not need the features offered by Canon's top end cameras.