PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts, Ideas, Advice?

sys578
09/09/2010, 07:53 AM
Hey, I am working on designing a new system and need some input from those experienced here.

The new system will be a 40g breeder with a 20g L sump. 400g or so flow planned for the sump.

I need to figure out the drains, and what to use. The main thing is this needs to be as silent as possible, being in a bedroom. Was reading on beananimal's 3 pipe design on another thread. Would this be totally overkill on a 40g? The tank can be drilled however needed.

Thanks

sys578
09/09/2010, 11:04 PM
Would 3/4" or 1" bulkheads be needed?

reefermad619
09/09/2010, 11:14 PM
I think with that flow that 3/4" will be fine. You could also do 1" and size it down. That might be a better option. I'm going with all 1" on my 80gal. I should be pushing somewhere around 600gph.

Tony78
09/09/2010, 11:19 PM
It's my understanding that a 1" bulkhead with a durso style overflow will do ~600GPH. So 1" would meet your requirement. Then the pump comes into play... if your pump is rated for less than 600GPH... the system will only drain what the pump is capable of pushing back up. So a 1" drain might be overkill for your 400GPH sump requirement, but it should work.

reefermad619
09/10/2010, 02:22 AM
If the OP goes with the bean drain, the durso will be used as a secondary drain. The main flow will be handled by the full siphon. That's why I think 3/4" bulks will be fine. Although I've seen online that the guy who came up with the durso (Richard Durso ?) recommends a minimum of 1" bulk with 1.25" pipe. But that may not apply since the durso won't be handling the primary flow.

sys578
09/10/2010, 11:11 AM
That's what I was thinking, of doing Bean's 3 drains. Didn't want to oversize it so it sucks all the water out the overflow. How deep should the coast-2-coast be, 4" above the bulkheads?

der_wille_zur_macht
09/10/2010, 11:17 AM
That's what I was thinking, of doing Bean's 3 drains. Didn't want to oversize it so it sucks all the water out the overflow.

Not a concern - that's why there is a valve on the full siphon line in that (and similar) design(s).

Keep this in mind. I've never seen someone complain "oh no, my drain bulkheads are TOO BIG!" But it's a VERY common theme in this forum that people feel their bulkheads are too small or they don't have enough of them for the style of drain they want to do.

sys578
09/10/2010, 01:12 PM
Good info, Thanks guys. I already have an 1" bulkhead here, so maybe just go ahead and get 2 more and drill the tank. Can't imagine any larger holes in the 40g back wall. Though I may need more flow than 400, and would be ok.

reefermad619
09/10/2010, 03:30 PM
A 1" full siphon with 1' of vertical drop can pull ~1000gph.

uncleof6
09/10/2010, 06:10 PM
Good info, Thanks guys. I already have an 1" bulkhead here, so maybe just go ahead and get 2 more and drill the tank. Can't imagine any larger holes in the 40g back wall. Though I may need more flow than 400, and would be ok.

Do make your open channel 1.25" however, with the 1" bulkhead. A 1" will do more than 1000gph at the drop for your tank, typically anywhere from 3 - 4' depending. As stated before, the 1" pipe is fine for the siphon, but 1" dursos are junk.

Jim

sys578
09/10/2010, 06:37 PM
Was thinking of doing the 1" bulkheads with 1.25" pipe for the drops to the sump. I estimate maybe a total of 22" for the drop (from bulkhead to the sump surface). I now need to do some searches for the coast-to-coast to get the sizing right.

I'm excited to do this build. It is replacing a 28g Nano tank that's a POS. Can't wait to have the sump for a skimmer and other eq. I'd love to have a fuge in there too, but realistically don't believe I'll have adequate space in a 20g L.

sys578
09/23/2010, 10:10 PM
Ok, trying to figure out how to plumb the system. I am going with 1.5" PVC pipes as I can find all the parts in that size locally. I want to split off the flow to feed a simple fuge/macro section. And don't know how to do it. Just split the full siphon only or both drains?

Made a couple different sketches, does it matter where the holes/standpipes are located? Also how low should the overflow box be from the rim?

Giglamesh
09/23/2010, 10:26 PM
i have two 20mm (3/4') drains (1x syphon 1 X durso) and the syphon can handle over 5000lph when fully open

sys578
09/24/2010, 07:04 PM
Also thinking of going with a mag 9.5 (800 gph @ 3' head) and tee/valve back any extra. Any comments?

uncleof6
09/24/2010, 07:57 PM
Ok, trying to figure out how to plumb the system. I am going with 1.5" PVC pipes as I can find all the parts in that size locally. I want to split off the flow to feed a simple fuge/macro section. And don't know how to do it. Just split the full siphon only or both drains?

Made a couple different sketches, does it matter where the holes/standpipes are located? Also how low should the overflow box be from the rim?

Also thinking of going with a mag 9.5 (800 gph @ 3' head) and tee/valve back any extra. Any comments?

Why would you waste pump output "tee/valve back any extra", and then feed a "fuge" from a drain line? Tee the return line to feed your "fuge" instead of wasting the pump (as if such a thing was possible-- no such thing as too much flow)

Jim

sys578
09/24/2010, 08:31 PM
Didn't think of that. ok, which would be better, splitting off the siphon drain to the fuge section or splitting off the return to fuge? Thanks for your help uncleof6.

NanoReefWanabe
09/24/2010, 08:55 PM
no need nor do you want to split the drain lines, that will cause turbulence and noise in them....just feed the fuge from the return, and be done with it....also you emergency drain line should ideally be emptying into your return section of your sump, you dont wan that excess water to have to go through the baffles...you want lots of bubbles and lots of noise with the emergency so you know there is a problem...