PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Aquatronica Controller

midwest_reefer
09/10/2010, 06:28 AM
I recently purchased a used Aquatronica ACQ001. Everything seemed to work fine when I plugged the controller to the power bar but when I plugged in the temp sensor, it would not recognize it. I tried everything I knew to do. Finally I did the reset settings in the menu. Now it will not even see the power bar. Screen just shows date and time. I was told that I have to hook it up to my PC to reset the controller to see the power bar. I have the ACQ220 and a generic USB to Serial converter. Running Windows 7 64 bit, drivers for the converter only covered up to Vista. Downloaded W7 drivers, have Aquatronica controller software cd but downloaded the new one from Aquatronica. Switched the comm port from "auto" to comm 4, the one it's plugged into in the PC. It still will not recognize the controller. And do I need an extra power plug? The ACQ220 has a plug jack. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

RobbyG
09/15/2010, 04:36 PM
Windows 7 64bit versions sounds like it's your problem, I dont think the AQT software supports that and any type of emulation mode you may try will probably not work.

Take the Battery out of the controller for 20 minutes.

Reset the controller again, this time with only the Power bar plugged in.

If it's now working, then hook up the rest of equipment one piece at a time, go into the menu label it etc then hook up the next piece etc. Dont hookup the USB interface to a Win7 64bit PC, use a PC thats running XP, anything else might be problematic.

coffeenut
09/23/2010, 06:34 AM
I had my AQ and usb interface on WIN 7 64 worked fine.. just saying..

coffeenut
09/23/2010, 06:36 AM
it comes up as a usb adapter to serial in the Device manager.. its actually a serial interface... with a "built in " usb plug, using a COMM port..

midwest_reefer
10/03/2010, 07:51 AM
Well the seller gave me the option to return it, which I did but now he has it listed again. I might purchase it again, because I am confident the problem was in the power bar, since all communication runs through it. If it sells for cheap enough to justify spending $250 on a new power bar.
Also forgot to mention that I have a Dell PowerEdge 2500 server that is running Windows Server 2000. I also tried syncing with this because it has a serial port and I didn't have to use the serial to USB converter. I couldn't get it to sync on that system either.
When I installed the software for the converter it said that it was running on Comm 4, so when I opened the AQT program I changed the Comm to #4. It would take a little while, like it was wanting to work, but then it would say no controller found. If I set it to search all, it would pop up immediately with that message.
When I posted this problem, I also sent out an email to Aquatronica, and have yet to hear back from them :(

Dubge
10/13/2010, 01:29 PM
ditch that usb to serial connector and buy the usb module, those serial connectors are not worth a cup of p!ss. I had more problems connecting with that thing and when I switched to the usb module I never had another connection problem!

Also I had mine running on W7 x64 as well and didnt have any problems

coffeenut
10/13/2010, 03:28 PM
ditch that usb to serial connector and buy the usb module, those serial connectors are not worth a cup of p!ss. I had more problems connecting with that thing and when I switched to the usb module I never had another connection problem!

Also I had mine running on W7 x64 as well and didnt have any problems

its the same thing with a cover on it..

Dubge
10/13/2010, 07:00 PM
well something must be different because one was serial and the other is usb, my computer didnt have a serial port so I HAD to use the serial/usb adapter until the usb module came out. I had an aquatronica when they first came out and didnt offer the usb

midwest_reefer
10/18/2010, 10:04 AM
Well, I did end up winning the auction, again. The day after, I finally received an email back from Aquatronica saying that the problem was in the power bar and to send it in for repair. It only took them a month to respond to my email. Can't wait to see if they charge me for the repair or not.

midwest_reefer
12/05/2010, 07:42 AM
Finally figured out what was wrong with the power bar. After taking 2 months for Aquatronica to receive it, I was convinced that it had gotten lost in the mail system, the power bar had/has water damage and is unrepairable by Aquatronica. Luckily they said they would sell me a new one for 90 Euro, which I believe converts to about half of retail.

midwest_reefer
03/24/2011, 07:29 PM
Quick update, well after 5 months, I finally received my new power bar in the mail. After joyfully unboxing it and hooking everything back up, I again was let down. The backlight on the LCD comes on but nothing, no text, nothing. The power bar works in AUT or MAN. Does the power bar along with the controller need plugged back into the computer to reconfigure everything?

midwest_reefer
03/28/2011, 09:59 PM
Really?? No ideas? No suggestions? Well after 6 months of frustration then with this thing it's going in the trash and I'm going with a different controller.

nemo's janitor
03/29/2011, 12:46 PM
Did you try a new USB cable. A faulty one does what you say. Or it could also be the cable to the controler.

dbond
03/29/2011, 01:47 PM
I think this is the chance you take buying something used you really never know what to expect,, but since you know the power bar is good that you received from AQ why not just buy a controller their $199 form Aquarium Specialty or Marine Depot and you will have a brand new system and a warranty on the controller.