PDA

View Full Version : Aggression between pajama cardinals?

velvetelvis
09/10/2010, 09:47 AM
I have a pair of juvenile ORA-bred pajama cardinals (originally purchased in a trio from DD, but one mysteriously vanished weeks ago). Aside from a green clown goby, they're the only fish in a 34G system. They're the same size (about 1.25" long), and judging from the length of the dorsal fins I think they're a male and a female (not that I'm an expert). They eat well, are coloring up nicely and growing, etc.

What worries me a little is that I see them bickering frequently--not seriously to the point of chasing each other all over the tank, but kind of darting and fussing at each other when they come close. I keep reading about how they do well in pairs and small groups...is this normal behavior, maybe eventual pairing behavior? Or will it get worse? I'd hate to have to separate them...they're one of my favorite fish and look so good with my SPS.

velvetelvis
09/11/2010, 04:46 PM
Update: I had placed the PJs overnight in a breeder net (I only have one) so I could take them to the LFS, but I got held up at work and couldn't make it there before closing. I kept an eye on them, but didn't see any signs of aggression in spite of the close quarters.

Not wanting to leave them in the breeder net for several days, I released them both back into the tank about an hour ago. Now they're hovering at opposite ends of the LR structure, about 10" apart, apparently ignoring each other. I don't expect it to last, but it sure would be nice... *crossing fingers*

small alien
09/11/2010, 07:57 PM
Thouht they were more amenable to small groups than bangaiis maybe not.

velvetelvis
09/16/2010, 09:52 AM
Final update: After a few pretty good days, they broke the peace treaty and started harassing each other again. I'm thinking that I may have two of the same sex. I'm trading them in at the LFS today, and I'll begin searching for a replacement(s). (They have a beautiful CB neon dottyback that is behaving itself at the moment, but we all know how that's going to go!) Oh well, reefkeeping is an ongoing experiment, after all. Back to the drawing board...