PDA

View Full Version : What is a better camera?

DevilBoy
09/10/2010, 10:14 AM
I have narrowed my new camera choices down to 2 different cameras. Which camera would i be better off with and why?

Nikon D30

Canon EOS Rebel Xs

I am looking to get nice macro shots with the camera.

Misled
09/10/2010, 10:25 AM
Nikon D30

:confused: Never heard of that one!!!

DevilBoy
09/10/2010, 11:15 AM
oops my bad, i meant the Nikon D3000

Zebodog
09/10/2010, 07:16 PM
They're both good cameras; any difference between the two will largely be imperceptible to the average use - the lens used to capture the macros will be the determining factor.

IslandCrow
09/10/2010, 08:43 PM
Agreed. Those two cameras are pretty equivalent. Most of it comes down to personal preference. Spend some time playing with each camera and go with the one that feels better and seems more intuitive to use. Both Canon and Nikon have an excellent array of lenses, and as Zebodog said, it's the lens that's going to make the biggest difference.

DevilBoy
09/11/2010, 10:29 AM
Ok thanks guys, the reason i asked is that both cameras are the same price. I have always used a P & S Kodak Easyshare camera so the DSLR cameras are going to be new too me.

JHemdal
09/11/2010, 10:42 AM
I can't speak to that comparison because I shoot Nikon only, but I would wait until the Nikon D3100 comes out (in a few weeks?) - the HD video and second gen image processing pretty much put the D3000 out of contention.

I have a D300 and will probably get the D3100 for the video and much lighter weight (but I'll keep both cameras).

Jay

Misled
09/11/2010, 03:52 PM
You may want to look into the lenses you may want to use. Do research and figure it out that way. You'll probably be changing boddies sooner or later and the lenses you've spent thousands of dollars on will probably determine which manufacture you'll be using. You also need to try the cameras out. I have the D200. A fairly large and heavy camera. It may not feel comfortable to most, my wife hates it, but I like the balance of it, even with longer lenses.

TTrout
09/14/2010, 11:26 AM
you might try going to DPReview.com (http://www.dpreview.com). They have a section on their site that will allow you to do a side-by-side comparison of just about any camera.

Personally, I'm a Canon person, so I would say go for the canon. Although, I would look at the lenses offered for each camera and see what best suits you. Personally, I like the array of canon lenses better than Nikon. But there are many out there that think other wise. So, it will really be a personal choice. If you have friends or family that have one or the other you might go with that so you can get help from them or barrow lenses.

Good luck,

BlueCorn
09/14/2010, 11:30 AM
Go to the store and handle both. Work through the menus and controls and see how they feel in your hand. Pick the one that you're more comfortable; that'll be the "best" camera for you. They'll both take excellent pictures when used properly with decent lenses.

Cheers

cody6766
09/15/2010, 08:44 AM
I got some heavy use out of a Nikon d40 and own a Canon XTi (2 pretty comparable cameras) both with the kit lens and they're more or less the same...just a little different. It took some time to adjust to the Canon from the Nikon but once the buttons were committed to muscle memory I like my XTi a little better. Even though the XTi is an 8mp (IIRC) camera and the d40 is 6mp the pic quality is more or less the same between the two. I'm sure I can crop a little heavier now, but I'm not really considering that in the camera review anyway. I just like the feel of the canon over the nikon. That said, when I picked up my Canon I never had an "oh wow! this is something I was missing with the Nikon!" moment. The differences are slight, so just play with both and I'm sure you'll be happy either way.