PDA

View Full Version : RO unit Questions

rancoo
09/10/2010, 05:00 PM
I've heard a lot about the RO Units and it seems that many people use these. I have well water and have been using a water conditioner that is supposed to remove contaminants in the water. It seems like it works well, the parameters in the tank are
Ammonia: 0
Nitrates: 0
Nitrites: 0
PH: 8.2

And all the inhabitants are doing well. The Tank has been running since the end of May 2010.

ecomdesign
09/10/2010, 05:11 PM
what is the question then?

FYI-you should test your well water for tds, metals, etc... My tap water has a tds of 350. Once it goes through the ro filter it has a tds of around 8. If I add a DI stage, I'd get 0 tds. The lower your tds level, the better! Your tank hasn't been running long. I'd get that well water tested asap. Until then I wouldn't chance it. I would buy ro water til you know for sure. You are taking a big gamble...

Bigez
09/10/2010, 05:13 PM
I've heard a lot about the RO Units and it seems that many people use these. I have well water and have been using a water conditioner that is supposed to remove contaminants in the water. It seems like it works well, the parameters in the tank are
Ammonia: 0
Nitrates: 0
Nitrites: 0
PH: 8.2

And all the inhabitants are doing well. The Tank has been running since the end of May 2010.
What inhabitants do you have? Have you tested your well water for its TDS (total dissolved solids) content yet?

mike_cmu04
09/10/2010, 05:14 PM
If it is working stick with it. However i am on a well and my tds out of the faucet is 577ppm and out of the rodi it is 19ppm. I am betting you will have algae issues eventually without the rodi

RocketSurgeon
09/10/2010, 05:14 PM
what is the question then?

Fyi-you should test your well water for tds, metals, etc... My tap water has a tds of 350. Once it goes through the ro filter it has a tds of around 8. If i add a di stage, i'd get 0 tds. The lower your tds level, the better! Your tank hasn't been running long. I'd get that well water tested asap. Until then i wouldn't chance it. I would buy ro water til you know for sure. You are taking a big gamble...

+1

rancoo
09/10/2010, 05:21 PM
I have two Percula Clowns, Lawnmower blenny and assorted crabs/snails, Peppermint shrimp and camel shrimp. I have not tested it for TDS, what do i need to do for that?

Bigez
09/10/2010, 05:27 PM
I have two Percula Clowns, Lawnmower blenny and assorted crabs/snails, Peppermint shrimp and camel shrimp. I have not tested it for TDS, what do i need to do for that?
Just a TDS meter, your LFS more than likely has them.

rancoo
09/10/2010, 05:38 PM
http://www.amazon.com/HM-Digital-TDS-EZ-Tester-Purity/dp/B002C0A7ZY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1284161558&sr=8-2

Do you think this one would be ok to use?

ecomdesign
09/10/2010, 05:41 PM
http://www.amazon.com/HM-Digital-TDS-EZ-Tester-Purity/dp/B002C0A7ZY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1284161558&sr=8-2

Do you think this one would be ok to use?

thats is perfect. in a pinch, as mentioned above your lfs should be able to test for you.

rancoo
09/10/2010, 05:47 PM
OK thanks for all your help!

aleonn
09/10/2010, 06:09 PM
If you ever plan on getting corals in the future, definitely purchase an RO/DI unit. As it stands, your live rocks may be absorbing lots of TDS and toxins, and may leach them in time.

Mike31154
09/10/2010, 09:19 PM
Probably more important than the actual TDS level is "what exactly is the element or contaminant that the TDS is comprised of". You could conceivably have a TDS of 200 but if those TDS are calcium and magnesium, then Bob's your uncle. If on the other hand, the TDS is cyanide, copper, silicates or phosphates, then your tank will crash in fairly short order. Might be worthwhile for you to spend a few bucks and get a thorough chemical analysis of your well water. Peace of mind not only for your tank, but also your family. A RO/DI system will all but eliminate any of the issues of contaminants/TDS and the RO water (before the DI stage) is very good drinking water.