PDA

View Full Version : Refreezing fish food

ScubaPrawn
09/11/2010, 11:54 AM
I left my fish food out over night for about ten hours (Ocean Nutrition's Formula Two Frozen Food). Of course it had all thawed out. I put the package back in the freezer. Has anyone else done anything similar? Is it still safe to feed the fish, or do I need to worry about spoilage?

ScubaPrawn
09/11/2010, 05:39 PM
Anyone?

Lynnmw1208
09/11/2010, 05:43 PM
I'd say it's spoiled. Just like any other food. Say you take a piece of cod for dinner out of the freezer and forget about it for 10 hours. you wouldn't refreeze it for dinner a week later it would have gone bad.

brycerb
09/11/2010, 05:46 PM
Eat some and if you feel fine, give it to your fish.:confused:

zhewitt04
09/11/2010, 05:49 PM
I've done this and just refroze it.... no one died so

BuckeyeTodd
09/11/2010, 06:39 PM
Since it was frozen, bacteria growth won't start rapidly at all until it gets over 41 deg. Probably take 3-4 hours. From there you have a while(by restaurant regulations four hours and thats for human consumption). So its only about two hours off what would be acceptable in a restaurant. And the number one way you can tell if something has spoiled(especially fish) is did it smell-thats what you get taught in food safety clases...I've left food out overnight twice and reused it

Agu
09/11/2010, 06:59 PM
My concern wouldn't be about it being "spoiled" . Most of our creatures don't always have access to fresh healthy food and will eat what's available without ill effects.

However I'd be concerned about feeding less than the optimum diet to animals that usually have limited food sources. It's probably degraded and lost nutritional value. I'd reuse it but only in addition to other foods that provide for the full nutrition of your fish. I wouldn't use it as their primary diet.