PDA

View Full Version : Bought a peice of Zoos at the LFS and i saw a flatworm.

XtremeFromHell
09/11/2010, 01:57 PM
well i checked it out at the LFS and didnt see any, some of his other stuff (not all) had red flatworms. i didnt see any on my piece so i bought it. now when i placed the bag in the tank for the temp i saw one swimming around.

my questions is what do i need to do to make sure they dont get into my tank??

username in use
09/11/2010, 02:01 PM
I would get some flat worm exit and make a small bowl with water and strong dose of the stuff and dip it for a while, then rinse it in tank water.

iLLwiLL
09/11/2010, 02:07 PM
if its just zoas, a freshwater dip should take out the flaw worms and not harm the polyps.

~Will.

XtremeFromHell
09/11/2010, 02:09 PM
if its just zoas, a freshwater dip should take out the flaw worms and not harm the polyps.

~Will.

yeah theres nothing else on there but zoas, how long should i leave it in the freshwater?

XtremeFromHell
09/11/2010, 03:13 PM
went ahead with a 10 minute freshwater dip and got a lot of critters out of there. dont think i saw the flatworm, i placed it in my sump in a container to see what happens

Agu
09/11/2010, 07:05 PM

~Will.

I've had the same experience. However 10 minutes is a bit extreme, my dips are about a minute. Good luck .....

XtremeFromHell
09/11/2010, 08:11 PM
I've had the same experience. However 10 minutes is a bit extreme, my dips are about a minute. Good luck .....

oops, i was wondering how long to dip, i was searching around and saw 7-10 minutes, i thought it was a bit extreme. The polyps have been closed this entire time, they now have began to slowly open up though, so hopefully everything turned out for the better.

OneReef
09/11/2010, 08:39 PM
get a wrasse :0)

iLLwiLL
09/11/2010, 08:44 PM
zoos are pretty bullet proof when it comes to freshwater dips, however if your planning on continuing to shop at that store, some real coral dips might be a good thing to keep on hand.

~Will.

XtremeFromHell
09/11/2010, 08:58 PM
zoos are pretty bullet proof when it comes to freshwater dips, however if your planning on continuing to shop at that store, some real coral dips might be a good thing to keep on hand.

~Will.

im going to look into that, because there have been other items that i have wanted there before but had flatworms and was a turnoff, there are some places localy that are better its just this one is right next to my house lol

Ludwigia73
09/12/2010, 09:05 AM
Dude, seems like well over HALF of the stores here in South Florida have flatworms. Shame, too, because they're pretty easy to control. Dips as they go into the display tanks get rid of lots of them, and a sixline or yellow coris help, along with a target mandarin. It's also not taboo to ask that store to blast the zoos with the outflow of their pumps for a second to knock off any... any good store will not give you a hard time about that. Which leads me to my next pet peeve... I've pointed out redbugs to quite a few stores in their acro tanks. A good store would stop selling acros, nuke their system with Interceptor, and wait 2 or 3 weeks with water changes before selling any more. NOT ONE HAS DONE THIS, and they all still have redbugs, and continue to sell corals. Those stores do NOT get my business any more. Why do stores continue to spread parasites?