PDA

View Full Version : ? about vinegar and kalk

Robert Patterso
09/11/2010, 03:42 PM
Been thinking about dosing vinegar as a carbon source. I am wanting to know if I can add the vinegar to my ato with kalk and do it safely. I thought there was a thread about it here but can't find it. Fighting HA and the gfo and water changes don't seem to be doin the trick

Thanks in advance

Robert Patterso
09/11/2010, 04:14 PM
Another question. My ato tank is a 20 gal. tank. I keep about 14-15 gallons in it. The ro/di water is has the kalk mixed in it and then let to settle before being added to the the ato tank. So my question is can I then add the vinegar to the ato/kalk mix so it is then dose by way of the ato. Also is it necessary to use the mb7 or some other bacteria source. I tried the vodka/mb7 route but got tired of fighting with the cyno. Standard maintanance just isn't working for me for some reason and I am getting literally zero growth. My wife says to just throw in the towel but that ain't gonna happen. Been in this hobby for way to long and have never had the lack of success I am having now with this tank. I WILL BEAT THIS!!!!!!!!:uzi::uzi:

HighlandReefer
09/11/2010, 04:37 PM
What is your nitrate and phosphate level?

Robert Patterso
09/11/2010, 05:31 PM
po4 undetectable per salifert. Not sure how reliable it is. No hannah meter
no3 is 10-15 API

HighlandReefer
09/11/2010, 06:58 PM
The nitrate is a little high for SPS. It is fine for soft coral. For a mixed tank it's not bad. Using vinegar or any carbon source to reduce phosphate can work. It may cause increased algae growth as well depending on the species of algae. I would run GFO myself and only use vinegar to control nitrate if you feel it is too high for your tank. There does not seem to be any correlation regarding higher nitrate causing algae problems by itself.

The key to algae control is removing the algae completely and keep very low levels of phosphate at the same time. Reducing feeding to every other day can help limit phosphate. You will need to keep the algae gone after you scrub your rock clean. ;)

bertoni
09/11/2010, 10:27 PM
Adding vinegar to kalk is fine. The kalk will keep the vinegar from decaying, so it's a perfect match.

DJREEF
09/11/2010, 11:13 PM
I used to mix mine until the ph tested out to 8.3, then I'd dump in he slurry (about 1 gallon for daily topoff). Corals were growing out of the tank with all nutrient levels undetectable. Understand, though you're going to have to know your system VERY well in order to pull this off. You're going to have to neurotically test until you know base consumption rates inside out.

DJ

bertoni
09/11/2010, 11:53 PM
Extended mixing will turn the kalk into sand, which won't hurt anything, although it reduces the supplementation effect quite a bit.

Genetics
09/12/2010, 11:17 AM
Vinegar is a great supplement to kalk. It also aids in increasing the amount of Kalk you can get in a gallon of RO water allowing one to better balance tank pH.

This may be useful for some background.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.php#6

Robert Patterso
09/12/2010, 05:29 PM
Vinegar is a great supplement to kalk. It also aids in increasing the amount of Kalk you can get in a gallon of RO water allowing one to better balance tank pH.

This may be useful for some background.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.php#6

Ok in that article it says to add 45ml vinegar per gallon of lime water. So if I add approx. 300 ml of vinegar per 7 gallons for my top off you think I will be doing so safely? I try and keep about 15 gallons in my ato tank. Just want to make sure I know where I'm going here.

bertoni
09/12/2010, 07:23 PM
That's the upper limit of what should be added, and the article discusses it as a way to increase the strength of limewater. I'd stick with a much lower level if your goal is carbon dosing and the limewater is providing enough supplementation as is.

Robert Patterso
09/12/2010, 07:44 PM
That's what I thought. Just went with 120ml to 5 gals.. Think that would be a safer way to go. Man this hobby can at times drive you crazy. For me that's a short trip:hmm4:

Genetics
09/12/2010, 08:25 PM
Oh sorry Robert! Yes, I wouldn't start off adding that much vinegar at once. Hopefully that 5 gallons in top-off water will last you the week.

Robert Patterso
09/12/2010, 08:38 PM
Oh sorry Robert! Yes, I wouldn't start off adding that much vinegar at once. Hopefully that 5 gallons in top-off water will last you the week.

Probably close to a week. I can always dilute it if necessary. Like I said I try and keep about 15 gallons in the ato tank. So I will only add ro/di with the kalk and no vinegar to dilute it some. I will be building a algae turf scrubber in the real near future to help control nutrients and problem algae's.
Thanks