PDA

View Full Version : Air Bubbles on Sand Bed

vitodog
09/11/2010, 05:28 PM
I've noticed in the last week or so, air bubbles on the top of my sand bed as well as on my live rock. Is this something I should be concerned about?:confused:

HighlandReefer
09/11/2010, 06:00 PM
The air bubbles are most likely the result of micro-organisms like algae growing on your rock. As these organisms photosynthesize to acquire nutrients they release oxygen which is what you see. If it is a pest algae then scrubbing your rock would be best to keep it from growing and becoming a nuisance to allow coralline algae to grow instead. You will want to keep your nitrate and phosphate readings at zero. Cleaning your sandbed weekly will reduce nutrients trapped in it & prevent it from becoming a nitrate & phosphate factory.

vitodog
09/11/2010, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the quick response HighlandReefer. I tested for phosphates utilizing the Hanna Instruments "Checker" about 3 days ago and got a reading of 0.00. I also tested for nitrates utilizing a API test kit and also got a reading of 0. I think you might be on to something regarding the sand bed though. I don't usually clean my sand bed while doing water changes and I do weekly W/C's on my 90 gal. (7 gal.). I was, for some reason, under the impression that you should not disturb the sand bed. I have a sinking feeling that I may have been wrong about that. However, I will be conducting a W/C on Monday and will attempt to clean the sand bed. Thank you.

HighlandReefer
09/11/2010, 06:46 PM
As long as it is not a deep sand bed, say 4" or more, cleaning the debris out is best. A deep sandbed, I would only clean the top layer of it to keep the nutrients out.

bertoni
09/11/2010, 10:22 PM
I wouldn't clean the sand bed on a regular basis if you want it to perform filtration, or keep sandbed animals alive. Other than that, cleaning is fine.

vitodog
09/12/2010, 06:12 AM
Thanks Guys, will do.

bertoni
09/12/2010, 04:25 PM
You're welcome! Good luck!