PDA

View Full Version : Hard time with Alk and Mg and Ca

jsdancer
09/11/2010, 08:43 PM
Hey guys,

I am having a hard time maintaining Mg and Alk. With my last tests made with salifert they were:

Ca 410

Mg 1260

Alk 13 dk

I run a ca reactor which had been keeping my alk at 8 dk and my Ca at 460.I would dose Mg to keep around 1300 to 1400. All corals especially sps's were growing and coloring was great. My water changes were done using Neo Marine from Brightwells.

Because over the summer months I was going to be away I purchased mixed water from my lfs. Their water runs at, 450 for Ca, 1500 for Mg and 9 dk for Alk. There were two water changes of 25% for July and Aug. The lfs uses IO which usually runs alk at a higher point.

Another factor to include is that the ca reactor became clogged and I opened all lines to flush out. I could not get it completely under control so it propably dripped at about 80 drops per minute. The Co2 was on a controller so it would not come on unless necessary.

How do I get things back to normal ranges?

bertoni
09/11/2010, 10:43 PM
The alkalinity is a bit high, but the other numbers are fine. I'd just shut down the reactor for a day or so, watching the alkalinity, and dose some calcium chloride as needed to get to your target calcium level.

jsdancer
09/12/2010, 01:56 PM
I was wondering if I could do that. Only thing that worries me is shutting it down too long and the water inside the reactor going foul.

The alkalinity is a bit high, but the other numbers are fine. I'd just shut down the reactor for a day or so, watching the alkalinity, and dose some calcium chloride as needed to get to your target calcium level.

bertoni
09/12/2010, 04:09 PM
That shouldn't be a problem, but if you're worried, you could drain the reactor.