PDA

View Full Version : Ich or something else?

ctrl+f
09/11/2010, 09:22 PM
My flame angel has developed two white spots, about the size of grains of salt, on its tail. Is this definitely ich or possibly something else?

All the fish were QTed before going in the display. I have not seen the angel scratch on rocks, nor seen any new spots appear in the couple of days since I have noticed. No change in behaviour.

I'm setting up my QT now... I just want to make sure I don't treat the fish for something it doesn't have.

Palting
09/11/2010, 09:27 PM
When in doubt, treat. Actually, for me, treat regardless. You are going to have him in QT anyway, so just do hyposailinity for 4-6 weeks. Ich can disappear from outside the fish and settle in the gills or burrow in the tissues unseen. I would not risk the chance of him bringing Ich into your DT. Once Ich is in the DT, it is one, huge, gigantic, PITA to get rid off. As me how I know.

EDIT: Did you mean your Angel was already in the DT when you saw the salt spots? Did you treat your fish while they were in QT before?

Jstdv8
09/11/2010, 09:52 PM
I've seen several of my fish get down by the sand and pick up a few on thier bodies that I thought were ich. If its still there tommorow, you know you've got soemthing :(

steelhead77
09/12/2010, 03:28 AM
PLEASE don't panic! For goodness sake! Just because you see a couple spots there is absolutly no need to instantly set up a QT and chase the poor fish around your DT trying to catch it. Just keep an eye on it for now. As long as it is still eating and swimming normal, leave it alone. Make sure your tank params are pristine for fish and make sure he is still eating. Ich (if your fish have it) is NOT a death sentence. Please don't stress the fish unnecessarily by chasing him around and making the (potential) problem worse.

Despite all the posts you will read to the contrary, many fish can and will successfully battle ich and fight it off with no lasting ill effects. It happens EVERYDAY! I will bet that there will be 20 posts telling you that you must now keep your DT fallow - meaning no fish - for a period of 6 to 8 weeks and you MUST treat all fish otherwise your tank is doomed. Despite the good intentions, these are drastic measures. Please take it slow. Keep an eye on things, there is always time for drastic measures.

ctrl+f
09/12/2010, 08:01 AM
Yep, the fish is in the DT. I didn't treat in QT... guess I should've. I figured if they looked healthy, then they were.

It's been 3-4 days at this point since I first noticed, and there's been no change. No new spots, but the existing ones haven't gone away either.

rayn
09/12/2010, 08:14 AM
IF you want your DT to be ich free you will have to pull all fish and QT them. IF you don't care if your DT is ich free or not then you can leave and feed with some garlic additive. Realize that if you leave them and the ich is in your tank all future fish could get it and it can flare up any time they get stresses.
Honestly your call, but the majority will say pull onto QT to treat. I am one of them too.

mm949
09/12/2010, 11:14 AM
is the spot on the body or fin.....? google lymphocytis