PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a water filtration system.

b_s_c1
09/11/2010, 09:23 PM
For the past year or two I have been buying RO water for water changes and top offs. I am tired of packing water jugs to town and I am now ready to install a filtration system on my tap water for the water changes and top offs. I have been doing a little research on RO units and have read several post that say it is best to know what is in your water before a filter is bought. This way you know what is actually in the water and to make sure the filter will take it out. Well I found a report of the water quality from my provider but dont know what to make of it. I am hoping someone can make a suggestion based on the report.

This is the link for the quality reports for 2009. I would be interested to see what someone with experience makes of this.

http://www.lcra.org/search?q=cache:Bv81Vafc8LIJ:www.lcra.org/library/media/public/docs/tri/2009QCK.pdf+quail+creek&access=p&output=xml_no_dtd&site=dotorg&ie=UTF-8&client=dotorg_new&proxystylesheet=dotorg_new&oe=UTF-8

Thanks

bertoni
09/11/2010, 10:51 PM
That's not a very complete report, but it all looks fine to me. A good RO/DI unit should be fine. I don't see anything that would require a special setup, but a DI cartridge that handles silica might be useful, at least as a worry reducer.

b_s_c1
09/11/2010, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the reply. Any suggestion on a good RO/DI unit. Does home depot or lowes sell one that will work. I would rather buy locally instead of ordering online.

bertoni
09/11/2010, 11:03 PM
The ones I have seen at Home Depot have proprietary cartridges that are expensive over time, and sometimes the DI cartridges seem poorly designed, but I haven't checked for a while. I would recommend a unit that has standard-sized cartridges and a vertical DI block. It should look a lot like the ones you see on EBay or on one of the vendors. If you can post a link or a model number, we can tell you more about a unit.