PDA

View Full Version : will this set up work for pipefish ?

xxtriggermanxx
09/12/2010, 08:48 AM
the tank is a 265 with good flow, not over powering.tankmates would be 3 tangs, 7 anthias, 1 grama,3 chromis, 2 damsels, 2 angels ,1 alge Blenny, 1 cleaner wrasse, and 1 manderin . Here is a picture I took this morning ,so you can see the amount of live rock. I was at the lfs and saw a banded redtail that i had to fight myself not to take home... I don't want to kill it... Thanks in advance.. Ray
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e71/xxtriggermanxx/Mobile%20Uploads/Photo0607.jpg

xxtriggermanxx
09/12/2010, 07:54 PM
really , nobody ?

iamwrasseman
09/12/2010, 08:13 PM
a pipe fish may survive in your tank but you probably will never see him as flow is something that he doesn't like . a tank for pipefish needs to be calm and have no competition for food .i myself would not try one in your present tank but that's just my 2 pennies .

xxtriggermanxx
09/12/2010, 08:33 PM
Thanks for your two pennies ! that's what I was thinking , but just was looking for some back up. never had one and was soooo tempted.. thanks again

Peka
09/13/2010, 06:21 AM
The only kind of pipefish that I would even consider putting in a reef tank would be a blue striped pipe. They are the only ones that I would chance at keeping at reef tank temperature, other pipefish should be kept at temperatures below 74.

namxas
09/13/2010, 10:12 AM
Besides the blue stripes, you could keep other flagfin pipes in that setup easily. That being said, I recommend Janss' (Doryhamphus janssi) or bandeds (D. dactyliophorus). Yellow bandeds (D. pessuliferus) and multibandeds (D. multifasciatus) are a lot more touchy and are typically harder to wean onto prepared foods.

HTH

xxtriggermanxx
09/13/2010, 04:33 PM
I don't want to get them if they are going to have a hard time in this tank. when you say easy do you mean they will live well or just survive. I do not want them to just survive.

namxas
09/13/2010, 05:20 PM
Flagfins do really well in reef setups, so if you stick with them, you should have no problems in terms of whether or not the setup is compatible. About the only thing I CAN say is that you'll want to make sure the intakes of any pumps of PH's are covered so the pipes don't get caught in them.

I do recommend getting them established and weaned onto prepared foods (mysis, BS+, roe, etc.) prior to adding them to the DT.

Peka
09/14/2010, 07:18 AM
Greg is the pipefish expert..... take his advice over others :)