PDA

View Full Version : Micro bubbles from bubble trap

Skinner
09/12/2010, 10:08 AM
I'm experiencing a lot of micro bubbles being created after the water goes through my bubble trap baffles and then falls a short distance into the section where the return pump is. Then the return pump is sending them into the DT. Very annoying. Would some egg crate attached to the top of the last baffle alleviate this problem? I hope someone has some suggestions. Thanks.

uncleof6
09/12/2010, 10:39 AM
If there are no bubbles in the first compartment, and bubbles in the return compartment, raise the water level in the return compartment, (shorter drop.) It is also possible that the bubble trap is too narrow for the flow rate, which increases the velocity of the water, making the waterfall more turbulent. Making the space between the baffles wider, will also lower the water velocity, and make the bubble trap more affective, and less turbulent on exit.

If the bubbles are present in the first compartment, fix the source of the bubbles. Usually, the drain and/or skimmer.

Jim

Skinner
09/12/2010, 10:56 AM
I do have bubbles in the first compartment and I have adjusted the ball valve on the drain line, but still have bubbles present. I've tried filter socks and this has reduced the bubbles, but I'd like to get away from using the filter socks.

I also agree that the baffles are probably too close together and the flow is too high. I was hoping to not have to tear the baffles down and readjust them, but I guess I may have to. Thanks for the help.

uncleof6
09/12/2010, 12:38 PM
I do have bubbles in the first compartment and I have adjusted the ball valve on the drain line, but still have bubbles present. I've tried filter socks and this has reduced the bubbles, but I'd like to get away from using the filter socks.

I also agree that the baffles are probably too close together and the flow is too high. I was hoping to not have to tear the baffles down and readjust them, but I guess I may have to. Thanks for the help.

Durso standpipes sounds like to me. Flow rate is too high for the standpipe. The only cure for the bubbles is lowering the flow rate, or system wide modifications. With a bubbly drain, bubble traps do not usually do the job. Work with the source of the bubbles, before you tear your sump apart.

The valve on the drain line, exacerbates the problem. Take the valve out of the system, and see what you have, then work with a valve on the pump outlet side, to control your flow rate. Don't use valves on an open channel drain line. They create more turbulence, and more of a plugging hazard.

Jim

Skinner
09/12/2010, 01:20 PM
You're right, I do have a durso standpipe. I'll tinker with your suggestions and see what I can come up with. Thanks for your help.