PDA

View Full Version : Drilling back wall on Artisan 50????

FISHUNT-72
09/12/2010, 10:17 AM
I have one of the 50's I think from the first batch released.It's been sitting since last December.I've read on other forums about how noisy and tight everything fits in the overflow.I ordered the tank only and planned to do my own plumbing.One thought I had was to do a Herbie type drain,using the 1" as the primary drain & the other as an emergency drain.I wanted to keep the lines clean and not put returns over the top.Has anyone else done this?Is the back glass tempered?I wanted to do 2 half inch returns.Am I stupid to drill the back because of the chance for breaking while drilling? :hmm4:

REEEFMAN
09/12/2010, 10:49 AM
Usually just the bottom is tempered. If all sides were tempered then it would be impossable to drill. Even so, drilling the sides would be a huge mistake. You can not do it. Take it to a glass shop and let them drill it. Mine only cost $30.00 to have 2 holes drilled in it. You have to use a diamond glass drill to do it. It looks nothing like a regular drill. Kinda looks like a hole saw but with diamonds on the outside.

Mike

FISHUNT-72
09/12/2010, 11:08 AM
I went to the LFS yesterday to have a 40 breeder drilled and it broke.He drills a lot of tanks and luck would have it ,it broke.At least it was a $40 Petco tank.I'm very hands on.I'm familiar with diamond hols saws.I'm a licensed contractor and specialize in remodels.I've got the tools.Ive never drilled glass though.I'm in the process of taking the 40 apart and replacing the panel.I guess I could do a few practice holes on it.I was planning to maybe drill the panel before I put the 40 back together.I don't know if that's good or bad?If it breaks at least I won't have to cut it apart again and resilicone.Don't worry I'm not using the cheapo hole saws.I have a good one I bought at the contractor supply.It will drill more than 4-5 holes.

REEEFMAN
09/12/2010, 01:39 PM
What size holes are you putting in? I have a few diamond drills that i can lend ya if i have the correct size. Let me know. They have a regular 3/8 shank. Easy to use tho.

Mike

FISHUNT-72
09/12/2010, 03:31 PM
I'm doing 1/2" returns.I have the bit for them.Thanks for the offer.:beer:.I'm getting the gl*******s 700gph kit for my 40 breeder.It comes with a bit as well.Its a cheapo bit,but will be good for a few holes.