PDA

View Full Version : fixed scratches in acylic tank

Jstdv8
09/13/2010, 12:31 AM
I got an acylic truvu tank with rounded corners and built in overflow on the cheap cuz it was hazzy with zillions of little scratches in it (assuming from the wrong type of cleaner)
after much trial and error I found a combination that I am certain anyone could sue to take out scratches with no distortion at all.

1.) 1200 grit wet dry sandpaper, do not work on jsut one area, to make it work you need to do at least a 2'x2' or something larger like that so you don't casue distortion, I was doing the entire tank so, this was a non factor to me
my tank is 5' ide and 18" tall x 18" deep
2.) 2000 grit wet dry sandpaper. even after this step the glass was allready waaay better than it was before, but I wanted it perfect like it should be so I used 2 more steps
3.) novus #3 heavy scratch removal
I did this step on its own first without the sand paper but it only took about half the hazzy scratches out, had to go deeper, then tried the 2000g and that helps some too, but still didn't get it all so I went with the 1200 grit and that ws the hot ticket to start.
4.) #2 novus ligth scratch removal
this is the last step.

Before you start you have to be sure that your tank is absolutley free of ALL debris, if you have even one little spec of sand in there it will fin its way under your sanding block and casue deep scratches you will have to remove. this happned to me several times until I learned my lesson.

start with the 1200 grit paper and tip the tank on its face and pour water on the inside so you are using the sandpaper in a wet application.
then jsut go ahaead and scrub the whole surface down very well. You can't really hurt anything as long as you do it by hand and don't work in just one spot.
once your done wipe off the residue with a towel and bigin the same procedure with the 2000 grit paper
then wipe it down and go to the novus #3 remover, I used a cheap 7" buffer I got from home depot for 20 bucks, you can also use a polishing wheel on a drill. just apply the polish to the buffer and press real hard and keep moving, keep going until you can't really see the polish too much, doesnt take very long. Wipe of excess polish and residue.
clean the polishing pad on the buffer (mine was made of terry cloth) with water and squeeze it out to dry.
next use the #2 novus polish the same way.
when you are done inspect the acrylic to make sure you got it to your satisfaction (do this between steps too) and then wipe the tank down with vinegar to get rid of any residue and give your tank a shine.

I really can't beleive the results, I firmly beleive anyone can take pretty good scratches out of thier acrylic tank with this procedure and make it look just as good as new.

I wish I had taken before and after pics so you guys could have seen how bad this tank was.

khaosinc
09/13/2010, 02:24 AM
It really isn't to bad once you break down and try it. Amazing how easy it is..

john32
09/13/2010, 05:57 AM
Yes just what I was saying in another post I bought life aquatics scratch kit and removed several scratches from the tank, very easy to do.