PDA

View Full Version : Possibly buildling a small rimless tank, collecting info. Cost and tips needed

cody6766
09/13/2010, 08:59 AM
I'm debating buying or building a tank that's 20x20x12 (give or take a little) if the price is right. I have a 14g biocube that I'd consider selling to offset the cost, or maybe using the money from my 33g cube that I'm trying to sell currently.

So, for those of you that have built or bought a glass tank with these dimensions...what did you pay? What did you have to buy? I assume glass and silicone, maybe some square clamps. I've done some limited glass work but this would be a learning experience. Is it doable for a newbie?

nauticac4
09/13/2010, 11:45 AM
Its very doable.

Call around to various glass shops with the sizes that you want for your glass and that will be the big determining factor if it would be cost prohibitive. I rebuilt a broken 200 gallon cube and the quotes I got for the front pane of regulare glass were from $190 to $300 cut and ground.

Do a google search for methods of assembly as there are a few good websites out there as well as a a few DIYs on this forum that explain the assembly process.

Things I have learned...
I use masking tape to make my silicone lines straight and uniform.
Have someone with you during glue up cause you'll need an extra set of hands.
Wear powder free nitrile gloves to keep oil off the glass.
clean everything with acetone very well before siliconing
Momentive performance RTV103 and RTV108 are arguably the best silicones for glass. One is Black one is Clear and they are both stocked at most Grainger locations for around 8 bucks a tube.

But for a 20x20x12 you should be able to get materials for less than $100.