PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody know where to buy sharks?

winvargh
09/13/2010, 08:34 PM
Does anyone know a legit online site to order sharks from?

Toddrtrex
09/13/2010, 08:38 PM
I have seen a few offered on the Diver's Den section LA from time to time. But, if this is for your 90, that is way too small for any shark.

winvargh
09/13/2010, 08:45 PM
No this is not for me this is for my one of my friends he just started a new tank and he's been cycling his tank for long now and it's time for him to get fish. Let me check the site you just said

robow
09/13/2010, 08:57 PM
I don't know if your friend is a noob, but sharks Should only be kept by people with alot of experience. Personally I think sharks should be left in the ocean. IMHO

winvargh
09/13/2010, 09:04 PM
Well it's not a real real shark it's like the banded sharks or nurse sharks

GhostCon1
09/13/2010, 09:09 PM

...which are real sharks. :hammer:

preef
09/13/2010, 09:21 PM
Think about what your friend will do with it when it outgrows his tank. Public aquariums generally will not rescue sharks from home aquariums.

http://en.microcosmaquariumexplorer.com/wiki/Chapter_One:_Aquarium_Sharks_and_Rays

davocean
09/13/2010, 09:24 PM
Agree, most people don't have nearly the size systems or exp for them, and BTW, nurse sharks get huge!

mallorieGgator
09/13/2010, 09:31 PM
Nurse sharks get very large. I've caught them by accident in the bahamas and they would need 1,000s of gallons to be happy. Any shark IMO should be kept in close to 1,000 gallons to get the proper water flow they need over their gills to stay healthy.

zma21
09/13/2010, 09:31 PM
I knew the exact content of this thread before I even clicked on it. :lmao:

Mr. Fish
09/13/2010, 09:44 PM
Please don't get a nurse shark they grow 13 feet long. I am personally getting a marbled catshark for my custom shark sized 180 gallon (extra long and wide and really shallow). Marbled catshark sharks only grow to 18"-24" long and adjust really well to aquarium life for a shark. I have done years of research on sharks and rays and I encourage your friend to do the same before getting one. http://www.fishbase.org/summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=791

N8thanExpl0sion
09/13/2010, 09:46 PM
there is a shop in FTL called AllFish Emporium (used to be Big Als) an they have been carrying sharks lately. I know they ship but their site does not reflect livestock as they go thru it so fast. You could call and ask them about what they have for sale

winvargh
09/15/2010, 08:07 PM
Yea your right. Nurse sharks would get way too big and would never be happy. Maybe a smaller one.

jarrett shark
09/15/2010, 08:27 PM
Nurse sharks get very large. I've caught them by accident in the bahamas and they would need 1,000s of gallons to be happy. Any shark IMO should be kept in close to 1,000 gallons to get the proper water flow they need over their gills to stay healthy.

yeah dont get a nurse, i was stupid when i was young and bought 2 babies
now after 10 tanks they are 6'long in a 1000gal and still not happy. they are my family because we had them for like 12 years now and nobody want them because they eat everything that crosses there path. I am looking for 2000gal but wife want me to drive them south and let them free but i dont think they will live in the 24hr ride

RcToners
09/15/2010, 08:43 PM

Oh yes those nurse sharks I dive with all the time out on the reefs here in the keys must be fake sharks. I wonder who put all the fake ones out there. :hmm4:

GhostCon1
09/15/2010, 11:13 PM
Oh yes those nurse sharks I dive with all the time out on the reefs here in the keys must be fake sharks. I wonder who put all the fake ones out there. :hmm4:

Martha Stewart

winvargh
09/16/2010, 03:07 PM
Wow thats crazy 12 years ?

evsalty
09/16/2010, 03:14 PM
now after 10 tanks they are 6'long in a 1000gal and still not happy. they are my family because we had them for like 12 years now and nobody want them because they eat everything that crosses there path. I am looking for 2000gal but wife want me to drive them south and let them free but i dont think they will live in the 24hr ride
They must be a sight to see!

bobbychullo
09/16/2010, 03:22 PM

no offense, i am not trying to be judgmental but just by saying this you make me wonder... it is not something someone who actually cares about fish and/or wildlife would say...

serpentman
09/16/2010, 03:39 PM

If they're family, don't let them go in the wild. If the trip or stress doesn't do them in, 12 yrs couped up in a tank have not adequately prepared them for life in the ocean. It'd be like taking an out of shape football fan and throwing him in the Super Bowl with no pads. They won't have much of a chance.

Honestly, if absolutely all options are exhausted, you may consider having a vet humanely put them down. I know they near and dear to you but that would be more humane than tossing them in the ocean and hoping for the best.

I know the lesson has been learned. However, this should be a good example as to why sharks are bad ideas. IMO, with the exception of a few private monster tanks, they belong only in commercial set ups.

strike2867
09/16/2010, 03:48 PM

Have you tried any public aquariums. My girlfriend's father donated several large freshwater fish. The family got a behind the scenes tour for it.

winvargh
09/16/2010, 05:39 PM
I didnt get what you mean. Wait so your saying i dont care about fish?

LifeAquatic
09/16/2010, 05:53 PM
I have lots of black market sharks for sale. What do you need? Tiger, maco, great white? Send me a pm. ; )

CWP
09/16/2010, 06:02 PM
I think that what he is saying is that there is a big difference between getting something because you like it and actually caring for something which involves much time, patience, and planning. From your remark, it appears that you haven't taken the time to research what it takes to care for a shark properly since you don't even know which species are appropriate to keep. Or maybe he thinks you don't like fish.

bobbychullo
09/16/2010, 08:50 PM
I didnt get what you mean. Wait so your saying i dont care about fish?

not saying that you don't care about fish. i don't even know you and would never assume such a thing.

"Well it's not a real real shark it's like the banded sharks or nurse sharks"

everything in the ocean is "real real". i think if you approach a reef/fish tank with that in mind, you will have more success in this hobby, IMO.

IMO, success in reefkeeping=keeping animals alive and growing in your tank, with that said, certain animals should be left in the wild.

Arthur1
09/16/2010, 09:10 PM
I've had clients bring up the line "can I put a shark in a tank the size of...?" my immediate answer is no lol. There are fish tanks, aquariums, and the ocean

TitusvileSurfer
09/17/2010, 02:17 AM
I've had clients bring up the line "can I put a shark in a tank the size of...?" my immediate answer is no lol. There are fish tanks, aquariums, and the ocean

I haven't had a laugh this good in a while. We catch baby hammerheads, black tips, nurse sharks at the beach on a simi-regular basis and I know a guy who puts them in tanks. He releases them back where he caught them after a few months when he catches a new tiny replacement. I don't necessarily recommend it but it works for him. You gotta realize they are only in captivity for a very small amount of time. A couple months ago a guy drug in a 9' nurse shark. I can't imagine how big some of the fish were that couldn't be landed.

winvargh
09/18/2010, 05:38 PM
I see.