PDA

View Full Version : How does this look?

kcochran0010
09/13/2010, 11:01 PM
So this is my final plan before I put all this together and wanted to know if everything looks good to go!
http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz323/Kcochran0010/finalsumpidea.jpg

steelhead77
09/13/2010, 11:22 PM
Looks good. But I'd probably get a little bigger skimmer if I were you. :spin1:

kcochran0010
09/13/2010, 11:24 PM
lol yeah i drew it kinda small, its actually rated for double my Dt volume!

theatrus
09/14/2010, 12:05 AM
I'd add a union on the pump output side - you want to be able to swap the pump easily, since one day you'll have to.

I also like plumbing in a loop on the return so I can add a chiller later - this is optional of course, but pipe is cheap. The chiller is bypassable in my system for the aforementioned maintenance issue.

Tony78
09/14/2010, 12:42 AM
Looks good. I'd also swap the ball valves for gate valves. Gate valves will give you greater control and ball valves are notorious for getting crusted into a certain position after they've been in a system for a while. The salt kindof glues them stuck to whatever position they were adjusted to. The gate valves aren't immune to that either, but they are much easier to break the crusting and become functional again.

areeftank
09/14/2010, 12:49 AM
+1 for gate valves

Bosco83
09/14/2010, 12:56 AM
+3 for gate valves. I think you have to go with larger one's they block more flow than ball valves. I don't know if this is for all of them but I have a 3/4 drain on one tank and I tried to switch the ball valve to a gate valve and it didn't flow enough even wide open. So I am planning on getting a 3/4 to like a 1.5" fitting and put on a 1.5" gate valve. Gate valves are a lot easier to make fine adjustments than ball valves.

Brian

kcochran0010
09/14/2010, 07:33 AM
thanks everyone for all the suggestions

lordofthereef
09/14/2010, 08:33 AM
With that plumbing I don't see the refugium getting much water at all. You would want the valve on the vertical pipe (leading to the skimmer part AFTER the T).

SMT6h
09/14/2010, 12:44 PM
just based on past experience.....rethink the mag 12. They pump a lot of water, and are pretty solid....but can be very noisy when set up external, and in my experience, develop leaks........some will also tell you that the utility pumps are not designed for external setup (debatable to me).

Spend a few dollars more and get a true external pump, not a dual purpose model.

-S

RocketSurgeon
09/14/2010, 12:46 PM
With that plumbing I don't see the refugium getting much water at all. You would want the valve on the vertical pipe (leading to the skimmer part AFTER the T).

I believe you would be correct. The refugium would not get any water at all.

Rather than putting a valve after the t, allowing back pressure to regulate the flow into the refugium, I would rather dump the main line into the refugium and utilizing a valve and t to have the back pressure flow into the skimmer. Therefore, if there is ever a change in pressure from your pump, the water entering into the refugium remains constant, and the variable is in the skimmer.
ex. if you were to use a larger pump, the flow to the refugium remains the same and the increase is led to the skimmer without any valve adjustments.

RocketSurgeon
09/14/2010, 12:47 PM
just based on past experience.....rethink the mag 12. They pump a lot of water, and are pretty solid....but can be very noisy when set up external, and in my experience, develop leaks........some will also tell you that the utility pumps are not designed for external setup (debatable to me).

Spend a few dollars more and get a true external pump, not a dual purpose model.

-s

+1

Liquid Hobby
09/14/2010, 12:51 PM
I see this type of set up a lot. General question: With such a large sump, why not put the fuge in the middle and drain: skimmer - fuge - return? That way the fuge will always get the flow it needs.

kcochran0010
09/14/2010, 02:42 PM
I guess ill cap off the bulkhead and use the mag as internal,

RocketSurgeon
09/14/2010, 02:48 PM
I guess ill cap off the bulkhead and use the mag as internal,

Several have had success with the mag pumps being ran external. Just do your homework before committing to this method.

Also, looking at your drawing, I would put the ball valve from the return pump after the split. This allows you to control both sides of the return individually.

HowieB
09/14/2010, 02:51 PM
How much water is in the water change / return section of the sump? When you do a water change, this amount is the max you'll be able to change at a time. The bubble trap will hold back the rest of the water in the sump.

Tony78
09/14/2010, 04:31 PM
I believe you would be correct. The refugium would not get any water at all.

Rather than putting a valve after the t, allowing back pressure to regulate the flow into the refugium, I would rather dump the main line into the refugium and utilizing a valve and t to have the back pressure flow into the skimmer. Therefore, if there is ever a change in pressure from your pump, the water entering into the refugium remains constant, and the variable is in the skimmer.
ex. if you were to use a larger pump, the flow to the refugium remains the same and the increase is led to the skimmer without any valve adjustments.

I'd also add that you want the T to be sitting horizontally so that the water doesn't bypass the T. The refugium shouldn't get much flow anyhow... so the valve that regulates the flow will be mostly closed anyway. If the pump fluctuates, it won't matter too much as the refugium is only getting a very small percentage of the total water turnover.

Plumbing example - please excuse the horrible drawing. Note the T alignment for the refugium..

Mine is setup just like this with no problems.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u217/tjalberti/REEF/plumbing.png

kcochran0010
09/14/2010, 09:14 PM
Ahh I like that alot better thank you!

areeftank
09/28/2010, 07:04 AM
any updates