PDA

View Full Version : What changes the concentration of copper in a qt tank?

niqiri
09/13/2010, 11:21 PM
Like the title says, what factors impact the concentration of copper in a quarantine tank? Assuming the tank does not have any substrate or media that will absorb/react with the copper.

Boomer
09/14/2010, 08:57 AM
It should change very little if at all.

skibum9884
09/14/2010, 09:17 AM
What type of copper are you using?

bertoni
09/14/2010, 03:09 PM
And how are you measuring it? If you feed the animals in the tank, some of the copper might get bound up with organics from the food, which might fool test kits. I'll have to check into that. Some might get deposited onto the filter media, even the sponge type. I wouldn't know how to quantify that, though.

niqiri
09/14/2010, 10:53 PM
I am not currently quarantining with copper. I am just curious as to what might change the concentration. I am also wondering how often I should test once I begin copper treatment. At first I thought once a day would be reasonable but if it doesn't change that much then I may rethink that.

john f
09/15/2010, 05:11 AM
Amquel and some other water treatments can drastically increase the amount of free (ionic) copper in the water if used with a complexed copper like Cupramine.

Stuart60611
09/15/2010, 09:41 AM
When you say copper, there are different forms. My experience is exclusive to cupramine which is the most popular copper product. Water evaporation, absorpiton into food, absorption into sponge material, and even the fish injestion can affect cupramine levels. It is recommended that you test the cupramine level in quarantine intially twice per day. After you are confident that the curpamine level is constant, you can then limit your testing to once a day and even every other day. It is important to test frequently because if your cupramine level falls below therapeutic levels for any extended period of time then you may have to start the time period for treatment completely over from the beginning. You certainly only want to treat your fish with cupramine for as long as required because it can be hard on fish and is generally not very healthy for them.

Cupramine only kills crypt when the crypt is in the free swimming stage. If your cupramine level drops too low, then the crypt will not be killed during its free swimming stage and attach to a fish. You will then have to wait for the parasite to fall off the fish, form a cyst, and the the cyst to hatch creating more free swimming parasites before you will have another opportunity to kill them.