PDA

View Full Version : Cant get rid of these Mites. :/

lolgranny
09/14/2010, 02:19 PM
So im dipping and dipping and hell, dipping some more. I cant seem to get rid of these black mites. They are on my montis and acros. Ive dipped them 4x's today and they keep coming out. Ive been dipping for the past week and i dont know what it is, but its like coralrx isnt killing them.

Any ideas?

Its a 20g tang stacked with about 15sps corals. They are everywhere :(

LifeAquatic
09/14/2010, 04:12 PM
Maybe the bugs are in your tank as well. If they are in your tank doesnt matter how many times you dip the coral. They will just go back to the coral. Sounds like you need to dip the coral and place in pest free tank.

mike_cmu04
09/14/2010, 04:23 PM
I know what you are talking about and i have noticed no issues with them in my tank.

lolgranny
09/14/2010, 09:57 PM
They killed my 1 coral tho?

So i have to setup a new tank and ditch the rock? I didn't think they could live w/o the coral? Should i put all the coral in a quarantine tank for a month or so then place them back in the main tank?

buy_baff
09/14/2010, 11:49 PM
They don't hurt anything.

saltygeek
09/15/2010, 06:25 AM
If I had them I would try some interceptor and see if it works.

lolgranny
09/15/2010, 11:06 AM
Ok so after dipping everything for round 6, i dipped my favia and under it was a swarm of red / black bugs. dipped it and a ton came off. These things are everywhere all the sudden. ahh

Hope coralrx does the trick. Should i re dip them tomorrow or how long would u think? Everything seems super ****ed off at me. colors are all bad now and everything is reallllly closed up. :(

Rickyrooz1
09/15/2010, 02:04 PM
Black mites? Do you have a picture? I never heard of them.

-=Efrain=-
09/15/2010, 02:15 PM
I would leave the coral alone for awhile until you find out what pest you are dealing with. If you can get pictures that would help but if you also have red bugs then I don't think dipping in Coralrx is going to get rid of them in the display. It sound like you will have to treat the display as a whole. But if possible I would leave the tank and coral alone for a couple of days then treat.

lolgranny
09/15/2010, 03:12 PM
I would leave the coral alone for awhile until you find out what pest you are dealing with. If you can get pictures that would help but if you also have red bugs then I don't think dipping in Coralrx is going to get rid of them in the display. It sound like you will have to treat the display as a whole. But if possible I would leave the tank and coral alone for a couple of days then treat.

Ok, ill let it settle for a few days. I most definatly have red bugs. 100% These black bugs are strange, they are the size of red bugs but attack my montis. What should i use for treating the red bugs?

LifeAquatic
09/15/2010, 05:41 PM
Ive never had black bugs. I suggested a QT becasue you say the bugs reappear on your coral after dipping. The black bugs reapper on your corals becasue they are in the tank as well. Everytime you place a dipped coral back in the display tank the bugs go right back to the coral. This is what you should do for red bugs. Treat your entire system with interceptor. There are a few threads for this treatment. I have done an interceptor treatment for red bugs with 100% success. Interceptor is obtained through a vetrenarian. Good luck!

LifeAquatic
09/15/2010, 05:44 PM
They killed my 1 coral tho?

So i have to setup a new tank and ditch the rock? I didn't think they could live w/o the coral? Should i put all the coral in a quarantine tank for a month or so then place them back in the main tank?

You dont have to ditch the rock. Just remove all the corals (food source) for the bugs and they will eventually die off. Then you can return your corals back to the display. I would try treating the entire display though.

Paulca916
09/15/2010, 06:09 PM
Ok, ill let it settle for a few days. I most definatly have red bugs. 100% These black bugs are strange, they are the size of red bugs but attack my montis. What should i use for treating the red bugs?

Interceptor the tank if you have red bug's hopefully it will also kill these unknown black bug's also.
Your going to end up stressing out your coral's by dipping them so much and possibly killing them.
JMHO

neoalchemist74
09/15/2010, 07:17 PM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1149097
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1730682