PDA

View Full Version : ReefKeeper controller question

rogerwilco357
09/14/2010, 08:43 PM
Basically I want to do a dusk to dawn effect using a controller but which one do you use and how...Ok I know the unit will turn the lights on and off and when the heat gets too hot you can set the controller to shut the lights off to aid in cooling down the tank as well as turn the heater off ..Now my question is how do I get the unit to turn the vho's on at 11 am then off at 2pm and on again at 6:30pm and off at 7pm? The vho's will be on the number one and the metals on number 4 which will run from 12noon to 7 pm. that i can do without problem .. just need help with programming the vho's ..
Anyone ?
Roger

rogerwilco357
09/15/2010, 12:11 AM
does anyone use a controller to turn their lights on and off multiple times during the 24 hour cycle ? could use some help picking out the best controller for this either RFK or the Neptune Aqua Controller ?

Porcupinepuffer
09/15/2010, 05:02 AM
Yes, you can do that. You might have to set it as multi-timer instead of lights. Also, be sure to only have your MH's on the higher amp relay outputs.

lighthouze08
09/15/2010, 08:28 AM
does anyone use a controller to turn their lights on and off multiple times during the 24 hour cycle ? could use some help picking out the best controller for this either RFK or the Neptune Aqua Controller ?

it's very easy to do, go to the support website of digital aquatics, they have sample of the setting that you wanted. just follow the instruction to set it up. It's on there, i used it last time

rogerwilco357
09/15/2010, 11:06 AM
ok will check it out . I had to sign up in order to ask any questions and waiting for the confirmation email .
ok looked it up and they are setting up a multi-timer to go on and off every three hours for a doser. I want it to go and off for different set times not a repetition (every 3 hours on and off) type of setting. will call them and ask them.

lighthouze08
09/15/2010, 12:45 PM
as i remember, it will let you set 2 timers for every outlet. set 2 timers for each light you want to control, 1 timer for the morning and the other for the afternoon and turn off the repetition

Shard
09/15/2010, 06:16 PM

I own both a RKE and a Neptune Apex.

On the RKE you can do a workaround and make the light a "multi-timer" as mentioned above.
In short...
(1) Go to the timer setup and configure say Timer 1 to start at 12pm, then stay on for 2 hours, and not to oscillate or repeat, and to run all 7 days a week.
(2) Then you would do the same to Timer 2 for example, but set it to come on a 7pm instead.
(3) Go to the outlet setup and select "multi-timer" for the function.
(4) You would then select these timers in the multi-timer settings for the outlet.

You can have up to 4 timers on a multi-timer in the RKE.

On the Apex you would just go to advanced for the outlet and have the setup read something like this.
<code>
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Time 12:00 to 14:00 Then ON
If Time 19:00 to 21:00 Then ON
</code>
With that code the lights would turn on from 12:00 to 2pm, then again from 7 to 9pm. You could have it turn on and off 10 times a day, for different intervals if you so chose. The programming on the Apex is really flexible, just add another line.

Have you picked a controller yet? You sound undecided.

Landon

LifeAquatic
09/15/2010, 06:21 PM
It is extremly simple with a Reefkeeper. You wont even need the instructions. You just need the controller in front of you. You will figure it out quickly. You can have the lights turn off and on every second all day if you wanted to. Look at the multitimer function on Reefkeeper.

rogerwilco357
09/15/2010, 06:25 PM
really the apex sounds like my apple computer compared to my windows based computer and ReefKeeper lol now i was reading about software for these units which one is Mac compatible the Apex? or the RKE that will play a big hand in my decision.

Shard
09/15/2010, 06:31 PM
Well, the software for the RKE (myReef 2.0) that allows you to program the controller from your computer via USB is Windows PC only. The web interface on the NET that allows you to view the status and turn stuff on and off (but not program), is web based, so obviously Mac or PC or any other OS with a browser. There is also an iPhone/Touch app for the RKE that lets you view the status of your outlets, but I don't think you can turn them on/off with the app yet.

The Apex can be setup, programmed, and the status/graphs viewed or whatever via the web interface. Since it is web based, it is OS independent, so yeah PC or Mac or whatever. There are also iPhone/Touch and iPad apps that allow you to program, change settings, or view status/charts remotely.

I am a Mac user myself, and I prefer the remote and web based functions of the Apex to the RKE. The RKE networking functions are too spread out. You need a PC to program the RKE via USB (can't do it remotely away from home unless you have a remote desktop connection to said PC, or a USB to ethernet bridge and a VPN), and you also need the RKM-NET module to send you an email if an alarm goes off because myReef doesn't send emails. You really have to combine myReef 2.0 on the PC, remote desktop (or USB bridge), and the NET module to get most of the functions you can get from just the web interface on the Apex.

On my RKE I currently don't run the firmware that works with myReef 2.0 and allows remote on/off on my NET module because it is still beta firmware. I tried to update the firmware to other day on some unused modules to test it out, but I couldn't get myReef to see the RKE head unit to update. This is yet another bug they are working on addressing lately. For my setup, I think there are still to many bugs and random errors to justify running the most recent 2.0 beta firmware. I still run the 1.11 from 2009 as it is the last stable release. I also don't see the need to spend more money on a USB to ethernet bridge, or a PC that needs to be run 24/7 to get the same networking functions I already get out of my Apex.

This being said, I do still like my RKE, I just feel the Apex is a stronger product, and if I had to choose one over the other, I would choose the Apex.

Landon

rogerwilco357
09/16/2010, 01:10 AM
wow thanks your are the second person that understands the importence of software that works and yes i notice that RKE is like a pc and that the programming for the apex is like a Mac ..being a Mac user I may opt towards the apex unit thanks for your insight..where do you download the software for both of these controllers?

Shard
09/16/2010, 04:41 AM
where do you download the software for both of these controllers?

The Iphone apps, called iReef for the RKE, and Aquanotes for the Apex, are available in the iTunes App Store.

The myReef PC software is available for download from the Digital Aquatics forums.

Landon